Rpg Maker Emulation

fdelapena

Still Fresh
Website
easyrpg.sourceforge.net

There is an effort to do it. RPG Maker 2000/2003 game resolution fits perfect on GP2X screens (320x240).

The Rm2k file format is almost fully documented (specially here, here, here and here) so a lot of needed work is already done. The remaining part is a implementation. There are a project called EasyRPG to bring it to GP2X and other platforms using SDL. The porting status is still work in progress but under heavy development last days.

What is done?

- Basic data structures (BER integers, pascal strings)
- LcfMapUnit: lower and upper layers decoded (water, terrains, etc.) (2 bugs pending). Event layer in progress (and event command support). Event layer works now. Still missing some trigger conditions.
- LcfMapTree: 100% (1 bug remaining).
- LcfDataBase: Actors (100%), Skills (100%), System (100%) and a few more tabs (partially). All database is read now but it lacks implementation.
- Graphics: System support, character support, full chipset support, battle animation, etc.
- Transparency by palette index now supported (color key workaround).
- Sound and music support

To do:

- Class redesign and cleanup.
- 60% of event commands (NEW).
- Battle scene (some data from database is read now).
- Battle commands.
- Event handling. Some issues remaining.
- LcfDatabase integration. Working in some scenes.
- LcfMapTree integration. Start party works. Areas and vehicles pending.
- XYZ: Pending (documented, depends on zlib). Implemented, loaded into surfaces but file opening pending.

SVN checkout:
Code:
svn co https://easyrpg.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/easyrpg/trunk/ easyrpg

Greets!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not too familiar with RPGmaker... But will this allow it to work with any RPG maker project files? (Not the .EXE, of course.)'

If so, my pokemon engine is coming to gp2x! :)

Wooooooooow - cooool :D

RPGMaker on WIZ, gp2x and Pandora will then be possible!

Love you, really good stuff :D

Don Miguel said:
I used to transalte RPG Maker 2000...
It's damn great gamedev system.
^_-

So, good luck, guys
Holy shi... yeah I remember playing about with that... and I definitely remember your handle! :)
This would be pretty cool, for those not ready to delve into Fenix or C++ yet.

It certainly whet my appetite for coding games.

Hi again!

Thank you for the support. A lot of work was done since last post.

Now a new video (using a some "hostile" handheld platform :p this time [not mine]):

Now basic map event system and map/event blocking is now working. The teleport event command works, too.

I'll made a GP2X video and package next days.
I ordered a Pandora, so I'll port it there, too.

Greets!

So nostalgic... RPG Maker 2000 is what got me started on using the internet obsessively... RPG Maker XP, VX etc will never reach the magic that 200 and 2003 had for me. Even if they were, in my opinion, annoying as hell, overly limited, and very few good games... there are some real gems, though, that reach up with some of the J-RPG's on older consoles

So.... now we need someone to make a new editor to create these games aswell? Or is RPGMaker 2000 still being sold?

Never mind, EasyRPG is set to fill that role

I just added a basic Makefile.open2x to build the port for GP2X with Open2x firmware. I'll put a new video of the player status this week. Check the SVN trunk/player.

Also try trunk/editor for the new editor code (wxWidgets is required).

Sheesh, if this gets released and/or expanded to be completely playable with most games, then I have a reason to get on going with my translation of Vampires Dawn guys!!
ED, you know it? It's German-only up until now.

New video using Open2x DR7 and EasyRPG player SVN revision 480. Each one of the 2 clouds is a move picture command on a separated event, both running as parallel process (latest tech demo made by Lobomon).

If you want to play with midi support, insert timidity.cfg and instruments/ folder in the same path as easyrpg.gpe

If you want to test some basic rpg maker made games, include all media used from the RTP or the player will crash with file not found errors.

Enjoy!

ps: we are opened to any contribution, the player is a bit on hold now.

Wohoooo!

This is sooo great. Thanks for your work, it looks like you're really gonna finish this thing :)

Great to see it working that well with sound already :)

So, is the To-Do list on the top still accurate? If not, what has to be done to be able to play the first real games? :)

Thank you! Yes, the to-do list was outdated, fixed! ;)

The game playability is near, most games will crash at startup, specially because some little but critical bugs blocks the gameplay (bmp and xyz, upper and lower case problems...) and the RTP dependence (you need to copy all RTP resources needed).

Donald-teh-Duck was testing a bunch of German Games, however the result was poor. Concerning the Vampires Dawn, there is a bug: http://easyrpg.rpgmaker.es/bugs/task/41
Chocobo Panic games can play the intro :D but both games crash later :(.

Now, the gameplay test of a Spanish-lang humour real game (The Bad Guy) intro being emulated with some quirks (the video is slightly older than the latest version, the event movement speed problem is now fixed).

"The Bad Guy" by Grise (the Longcat cameo is just the system wallpaper)

There are some commands working (some of them partially) as you can see are "move event", "show message" (with color support :D ) teleport, change music, etc.

Once the game intro is over, the command wasn't emulated yet, so nothing happens later :p (change player chara?). Now I don't know if the latest player revision has it.

Can't wait for the finished product! Keep up the excellent work fdelapena!
biggrin.gif

Wow! If this makes it to the Pandora, I'll definitely be releasing a game or two. :)

My free time has somewhat diminished as of late, but with RPG Maker support it'd make things super easy.

Out of curiosity though; is there any particular reason you chose to go with RM2K instead XP or VX? Was it just because of available documentation on the format? Are you considering expanding this to include XP or VX at some later point?

Don Miguel said:
I used to transalte RPG Maker 2000...
It's damn great gamedev system.
^_-

So, good luck, guys

Don Miguel, you sir are a legend o_o

My hat, it is off.

Back