Aquaria, Rpg Maker Or Other Windows Applications

Hawkey

[beforehead: I don`t know much about the Linux System or a conversation of programs, which are written for windows]

Hio Guys,

I´m new here in the Forum and want to ask a few Questions about the Pandora and his compatible to some programs (please apologise my bad english and if my question sounds silly/stupid :) )
After I heard of the Pandora I was stunned, it looks amazing for the homebrew scene, but furthermore there was now a chance of my lifelong dream: I realy like to work with a programm which is called RPG Maker, an application to create your own (Role Play) game in a simple way, without any need of using programm languages. There are many communities world wide who use them to great their games and with them the games they allready designed. The best I could imagined or hope would be a mobile creative station with which help i could design my games at anytime anywhere ;)
Now comes the question I am begging for a positive answer: I know that the Maker is for Windows only (so no Linux support from Enterbrain, the publisher), but I know too that there is a program called Wine with which is it possible to play it at Linux. Is there chance to convert the RPG Maker (I´m using the 2000 and VX) to Linux, just when I give you the programs ? Or is there at least a chance to make Wine running at the Pandora, so that I can use the Maker in that way ?

Hope that some method of them will work in the future :rolleyes:
(It would be nice if you could help me or at least explain me why it`s imposible/unrealistic...)

[addition: the pandora is a great device even if the games aren´t playbale B) ]

Wine only runs on x86 systems, ie, systems that could already run Windows. It can't run on Pandora. If the RPG Makers source code were available, someone could probably be convinced to convert it to Linux, but that's not going to happen in this case.
There are a lot of open source RPG makers, though apparently none as good as RPG2K, sadly.

Well, the answer is no - it will not be possible to make the PC version run on the Pandora. The reason is that the Pandora's CPU differs from the CPU that is standard in desktops and which the program is expecting. For this reason Wine is also not an option.

That said, RPG maker has been released on many platforms and we're expecting several of those to be well emulated by the Pandora. So it's reasonable to expect the Super Famicom, Playstation, and Game Boy versions to run well on the Pandora.

I don't know if that'll be enough to make you happy, but that's where it stands.

There are other, open source, projects that will let you develop RPGs. Off the top of my head, I know that Battle for Wesnoth is very mod-friendly. It's a strategy game, not exactly a JRPG, but stylistically similar.

There is a work in progress GPL'ed project called "Easy RPG" that can be very interesting for you. It will be a RPG creator (and interpreter) compatible with "RPG Maker 2000 / 2003" and it will work in Windows, Linux and MacOS, so it would run on Pandora.

http://easyrpg.sourceforge.net/

The project is in a pre-alpha status, but the first alpha version is planned for this summer.

Theoretically, couldn't a version of RPG creator be made to run x86 rpg creator created files?

we'd really just need a converter, which could be done by modifying the one linked above

which is my point precisely. if we make one that reads the x86 executables and compiles them as pandora ones, we'd have a convertor for rpgs

I think we needn't make a program that reads x86 RPG Maker executables. Easy RPG will be an interpreter that will read RPG Maker data files like ScummVM reads graphical point-and-click adventure games data files. We only need to port Easy RPG (when it is available) and/or help in the development.

Sorry if I haven't explain it very well. When I say that Easy RPG will be an interpreter I don't talk about "an interpreter in the sense of interpreted programming languages". When I said it was an "RPG Maker interpreter", I meant that it will be able to read, edit and play RPG Maker files. You're right, we only have to port Easy RPG (which will "interprete" RPG Maker files and will let you play those games).

Does that make more sense?

I tried digging through the Spanish website, but it had a very unprofessional feel. If it wasn't for the Sourceforge site I'd think this project was fake. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this comes up soon. I remember working on a turn-based tactics engine for rpgm2k but got frustrated with the packaged combat system that I was converting from and eventually moved on to something else.

What I do like about the RPG maker series, is if you include all the files, especially in RMVX/XP, the exe to run the game is the same for all versions of a game. Like the RMVX executable is the same for all RMVX games, so if there was a converted exe, then it would run perfect. Considering in RMVX and RMXP the entire engine is modifiable in Ruby RGSS/RGSS2, it could be modified to work with the pandora.

DasFool said:
I tried digging through the Spanish website, but it had a very unprofessional feel. If it wasn't for the Sourceforge site I'd think this project was fake.

I agree with you, the website have a very unprofessional look. However, I've done some research this afternoon and this project is well known in the Spanish RPG Maker Community and everybody says that this project "goes slow but without stopping" (I don't know if that is the correct expression in English), so I would bet that it isn't a fake.

Last edited by a moderator:
oooh, that easyrpg looks awesome, i used to love rpgmaker2k and got pretty far along on an rpg, but stopped using it because i didnt like the lack of linux support.
unfortunately tho, my spanish is terrible, so i cant post or read the forums :\

Back