Rpg Maker 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is'lan

Still Fresh
I don't want the RM2k program itself to be ported, but I think it would be great to be able to emulate games made by it on the gp2x. Does anybody know where I might be able to find the necessary source code?

But as I said, it's not about running the actual program RM2k, but rather running games that were made by RM2k.

I think to port rm2k is a bad idea either, cause the screen is to small and before you are able to set everything right for one object 10 minutes past by :( But to emulate the games would be very nice!

Good idea!

Nobody wants to run the rpgmaker itself on the gpx but the games would fit the screen perfectly, emulating is out of the question but someone could write an interpreter for the datafiles. Nobody will do this however, since that would be a lot of work.

If I could, I would! (and then you'd all have to honor me)

But I know nothing of this sorta stuff, or at least I think I don't know any of this stuff, that I am majoring in programming in college.

So, if I ever get good enough, I am SO going to make an interpretor for it!

I always thought that the RM2k graphics appear rather stretched out on a computer screen, but on the gp2x's screen I'm betting they would look absolutely beautiful!

Good luck, at least. I wouldn't want to write an interpreter for something like this, but I've never been a fan of reverse-engineering things when I could just write newer and better things instead.

At this point I'd rather see a port of Waba.

Is posted on Apr 20 2006 at 12:08 AM said:
If I could, I would! (and then you'd all have to honor me)

But I know nothing of this sorta stuff, or at least I think I don't know any of this stuff, that I am majoring in programming in college.

So, if I ever get good enough, I am SO going to make an interpretor for it!

I always thought that the RM2k graphics appear rather stretched out on a computer screen, but on the gp2x's screen I'm betting they would look absolutely beautiful!

If you could, I honor you more if you are able to do that with Game Maker Game files :) then everybody can make nice looking games in just a couple of hours without ANY coding experience.

That would be really nice!

I'll pay you 10bucks if you do that :)

Last edited by a moderator:
sand_man posted on Apr 20 2006 at 04:21 AM said:
Did anyone notice that RPG maker games suck?

Not all of them. A Blurred Line and The Way immediately come to mind; plus I've been working on my own game in it off and on for the past couple years (keep on starting over).

But really I think it wold be great to have interpretors for all these game makers; it would seriously warrant a boom in homebrewed games for it (for better or worse).

All the games look the same? no they dont. and if you think *all* rpg maker games suck, you obviously havn't played many.

Paradox posted on Apr 21 2006 at 05:17 PM said:
All the games look the same? no they dont. and if you think *all* rpg maker games suck, you obviously havn't played many.
All the RPG maker games I've played (about 4) looked the same and did, in fact, suck. Do you have a link to a site with a bunch of fangames so we can see the great-looking, great-playing games you're talking about?

They might have different character and effects and such, but I tell you, there isn't one game which uses original tilesets, charsets, battle effects and/or facesets and doesn't appear in another RPG Maker game.

+All the games feel the same.
+All the games uses the same battle screen (and system)

And that's by far not everything, but those are the things which can make an RPG game unique. And non of these games are unique.

That's why I think RPG Maker games suck :)

iignotus posted on Apr 21 2006 at 05:48 PM said:
Paradox posted on Apr 21 2006 at 05:17 PM said:
All the RPG maker games I've played (about 4) looked the same and did, in fact, suck. Do you have a link to a site with a bunch of fangames so we can see the great-looking, great-playing games you're talking about?

Only 4? No wonder, so many people have pushed out RM2k games since it was so easy that of course most of 'em suck. But there are quite a few gems, I would recommend www.gamingw.net

NoidZ posted on Apr 21 2006 at 06:14 PM said:
They might have different character and effects and such, but I tell you, there isn't one game which uses original tilesets, charsets, battle effects and/or facesets and doesn't appear in another RPG Maker game.

+All the games feel the same.
+All the games uses the same battle screen (and system)

And that's by far not everything, but those are the things which can make an RPG game unique. And non of these games are unique.

That's why I think RPG Maker games suck :)

Idunn Ymiraldor - http://www.gamingw.net/games/46

Chimera Report - http://www.gamingw.net/games/52

Both demos, but there are others that I can't find at the moment.

Need I say more?

But when it comes to interpreting games made by RM2k or Game Maker, do you still need the source code for the engine? Or is there a way to get around that (for interpreting, not porting)?

Even when I can't get this to work, the facesets aren't original :) (Chimera)
But then the battles ARE still the SAME. There are some other battle screen methods but, they where really hard to create. (I worked with RM2K a couple of years ago)

But about playing anything like this (including Game Maker) would be impossible I think :( accept if the creators have written it in linux AND want to give (or sell) the source code so we can edit the game makers for GP2X.

If that is gonna happen... :rolleyes: oh damn... :lol: if that's gonna happen... :rolleyes:

NoidZ posted on Apr 21 2006 at 09:03 PM said:
Even when I can't get this to work, the facesets aren't original :) (Chimera)
But then the battles ARE still the SAME. There are some other battle screen methods but, they where really hard to create. (I worked with RM2K a couple of years ago)

But about playing anything like this (including Game Maker) would be impossible I think :( accept if the creators have written it in linux AND want to give (or sell) the source code so we can edit the game makers for GP2X.

If that is gonna happen... :rolleyes: oh damn... :lol: if that's gonna happen... :rolleyes:

Again, I don't want to port the game makers themselves, just an interpreter for the games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back