Riot Tag-Team Coding Competition

Couldn't a vote be for the best game be submitted more as a review rather than your best game. For example you play games X, Y and Z.

X gets a score of 65%
Y gets a score of 70%
and Z gets a score of 80%

then once everyone has submitted a score an average percentage could be taken and given for each game.. there might be some problems with doing it this way though as it would require a certain number of people to vote... i.e. if one person voted and gave 100% then obviously it wouldn't work.

but i do not know how you can make it truly fair as i my self only have a caanoo and will not be playing any other games from another platform, and as others have said my vote will be just for caanoo games as i cannot vote for a game i cannot play...

@uni
That I cannot claim to have a dingoo and vote those guys down because I can't stand them but instead have to spare my 4 votes to push up wiz titles so that the pandora devs do not win?
Seriously I just wanted to say something against the "you cry" thing. I criticized something, I didn't cry around.
Anyway, I am messing with other peoples stuff. Let's see how it turns out to work, maybe it's not gonna be that bad...

Here's what it comes down to:

If you want the "best" game to win, you have to go with a panel to judge; that way, you can be sure that votes aren't skewed by platform preferences, and you can control the criteria by which games are judged (you could, for example, have several catagories by which to judge: graphics, sound, replay-ability, innovation, control mechanics, etc - and then weight them as you see fit).
But then, the contest would have very little to do with the community as a whole, and would rather be the equivalent of relying on the reviewers of IGN to make choices for you.

Or, if you want the "most popular" game, you leave it up to the community to vote in a manner similar to the way it's spelled out now. Granted, that's going to leave things skewed in certain ways that are often unpredictable. Maybe some people are really into music, and weigh their vote heavily on that. Maybe someone else only has a Dingoo, and their vote(s) will be based on that.
But that's the nature of a community-based contest, which this was, after-all, sort of aimed at since the beginning.

Now, I doubt anyone is going to argue "most popular" means "the best" - we all know it doesn't. But considering that most people here have probably shelled out several hundreds of dollars (or their equivalent) to play games that are 20 years old, I'd like to think we are a rather discerning group, not apt to fall in for cheap gimmicks and fads just 'cause ("Oooooh! It's 3D!!!"). Granted, we know what we like and we tend to be pretty adamant about it (obviously, since we've been playing the same games for 20 years...), and so what is popular isn't likely going to be what is catagorically best, but again, this is about the community at large, and it's opinions as a whole.

You could pick a panel of judges, sure, but you alienate the community. As this is a contest about bringing developers from the community together to make amazing games for the community, I think its best to leave the decision of the winner in the hands of the community.

Because, after all is said and done, the community is the biggest winner of them all. :)

sebt3 said:
The plan of this competition is to be as plateform agnostic as possible. If some devs decide to push their work on only one plateform, then they need to know they have less chance to get votes. If they want more vote, they should port thweir works to the others plateforms.

Ew I hope not <_< Not sure how I'd publish my game on a Pandora that is impossible to get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomlad said:
Couldn't a vote be for the best game be submitted more as a review rather than your best game. For example you play games X, Y and Z.

X gets a score of 65%
Y gets a score of 70%
and Z gets a score of 80%

then once everyone has submitted a score an average percentage could be taken and given for each game.. there might be some problems with doing it this way though as it would require a certain number of people to vote... i.e. if one person voted and gave 100% then obviously it wouldn't work.

but i do not know how you can make it truly fair as i my self only have a caanoo and will not be playing any other games from another platform, and as others have said my vote will be just for caanoo games as i cannot vote for a game i cannot play...
Well currently you select your 4 most favourite games, which is like giving 100%, 75%, 50% and 25% (or similar, dependant on weighting).
I see where you are going with this, but as you said it would only work under specific conditions and it's plain easier to select your top 4.

Only voting for the games you can play is the way it should be, that is why every dev should try to target as many platforms as possible. (although you could always try W32 and Linux versions as a last resort).

traylorpark said:
Ew I hope not <_< Not sure how I'd publish my game on a Pandora that is impossible to get.
The Pandora is not "impossible" to get. Additionally, while I can understand that it is not a terribly good idea, you can always port your games to a platform you don't own and let others do the teting.
I do that for some time now and while I have to say that it gets on my nerves from time to time (although I have some beta testers I can truly trust with quality control), I rather get as many people to play my games than exclude them because I don't own the platform (not just for this compo).
Yes, testing is a pain as you have to rely on other people's opinion, but get a few people you can trust in that regard and it is fine.
But as I said, it's not for everyone and I can understand that.

Schnatterplatsch said:
@uni
That I cannot claim to have a dingoo and vote those guys down because I can't stand them but instead have to spare my 4 votes to push up wiz titles so that the pandora devs do not win?
Seriously I just wanted to say something against the "you cry" thing. I criticized something, I didn't cry around.
Anyway, I am messing with other peoples stuff. Let's see how it turns out to work, maybe it's not gonna be that bad...
Voting something down was never the question.
Anyway, while I agree that Ziz post was unnecessarily harshly worded, he is essentially right and this is no reason to take it personally (did he really target you or maybe all nay-sayers in general?) and attack a non-native speaker for his spelling (you are better than that, aren't you).

Whatever, let's let the dust settle here, no need to flame around.
We don't want to end a competition which already produced quite a number of good-looking games and maybe forged some (new found) friendships in a dirty battle about the voting process.

Bottom line, I completely agree with Remy, well said!

I think only person whit all 4 console (dingoo wiz caanoo Pandora) can judge the entries..

if you think Wiz holders are really MORE of Pandora users,
that's mean More possibility to take votes

in that way an pandora game can't win,

If all the 3 guys of pannel (uni, evil, other guy idk name) have the 4 console able for run competition they can vote..

traylorpark said:
Send me your source, I'll make your pandora port ;)

Hahahoj said:
Send him Pandora, and he will make his port himself.
And many other things in the future.

I agree with this man here! Right here!

2 minutes before the deadline we finally uploaded our entry - talk about timing :p

Anyway, sadly we did not come even close to where we wanted to be, lot's of stuff got in the way.
Still the core gameplay and some levels are there for you to try and hopefully you like it anyway.
We will definitely supply the rest after the compo is over.

Good night.

"Adamant Armor Affection Adventure" was also sent to Uni yesterday. The authors are so exhausted that sleep is unconscious. They had cut out of the game blackjack and whores in the last minute due to new Russian laws.
It would be great to see many new games for Caanoo's part in this competition.

The entries page is up!
http://www.riotdigital.com/ttcc2011/?page=Entries
(Use the checkboxes to filter for platform - if the list appears to be empty there is no checkbox ticked)

Just to let you know, the open-sources game for the riot compo have been covered by the freegamer blog : http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2011/07/riot-game-coding-competition.html

(I have to admit : i have contacted them :D)

Back