Riot Tag-Team Coding Competition

PokeParadox said:
In my case my baby boy was a bit earlier than anticipated... this wasn't exactly part of the plan! :p
If you want to see a PirateBaby release for compo deadline... it's more likely with the extension and even then I'm likely to be placed behind those that have been able to keep their schedules... so what's the problem?

Wait, if we keep the normal deadline then there is less competition? Perhaps its strategically useful to vote against extension. ;)

Honestly though, the early birth of a human is plenty reason enough to extend the deadline. Unless your really that cold hearted.
And congrats to Mr Paradox!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think, that every entry would get a prize. ^_- (there are too many prizes :lol: )

And I know how is hard to tidy up games. I get to bed at 4:00am almost every day... and quasist can't tell when sleep.
So it's all for good. Wiz + Caanoo should get nice and playable free games. ;)
There's an empirical rule that more game developing time brings us better games. :p

Upd: PokeParadox has won the main prize on the Earth ^_- Grats!

just for the matter of saying something ;)

i don't really care if we get two more weeks or not. more time can always be handy, but also be critical if you start something new and cant finish it.
it's not my decision, but i'm fine with both :)

@u9i

I am a little curious how the prizes will be seperated. I see 400 Euro, 4x16GB SDs, 2xDingooA380, 2xDingoA320, 2xCaanoo and CaanooTShirts. Any plans yet?

EDIT: Maybe something like: The material prizes get valued(f.e. 16GB = 20E, A380 = 100E...) and then the whole pot gets splitted such as the first place gets 35% the second 25%, 3rd 20%, 4th 10% and 5th and 6th 5%. The first place is allowed to grabs his material prizes first(since someone who already owns a caanoo maybe wants a dingoo over another caanoo) and so on... Just a rough idea...

U9i did the list of the prizes for the competition :)
As this is in the spirit of a community competition, a PayPal account has been set up on the donations page, to which you can donate to the prize pool. I encourage you to give a small donation as a token of your appreciation to the developers. I recommend 10 Euro or equivalent, however larger and smaller donations are still greatly appreciated. Everyone who has donated will be listed on the donations page without donation amount. If you do not wish to be listed, please let me know.
Sponsors
The sponsors have all provided hardware for the winners of the competition. The sponsors are (in no particular order):
GPH
Etronixmart
OpenPandora
Dingoo Digital USA
Prize Distribution
The prizes are distributed as follows between the winning entries:
Pos Prize
1st place GPH Caanoo, incl. jelly case, screen protector, WIFI dongle and TV-out cable, courtesy of GPH
Dingoo-Tech A380, courtesy of Dingoo Digital USA
140 Euro transfered to paypal account of your choice, courtesy of the community
For a total value of 400 Euro
2nd place GPH Caanoo, courtesy of GPH
Dingoo A320, courtesy of Etronixmart
80 Euro transfered to paypal account of your choice, courtesy of the community
For a total value of 285 Euro
3rd place Dingoo-Tech A380, courtesy of Dingoo Digital USA
Caanoo t-shirts for all team members, courtesy of GPH
80 Euro transfered to paypal account of your choice, courtesy of the community
For a total value of 188 Euro
4th place Dingoo A320, courtesy of Etronixmart
60 Euro transfered to PayPal account of your choice, courtesy of the community
For a total value of 140 Euro
5th place 2x SD cards 16GB class 6, courtesy of OpenPandora
40 Euro transfered to PayPal account of your choice, courtesy of the community
For a total value of 112 Euro
6th place 2x SD cards 16GB class 6, courtesy of OpenPandora
For a total value of 72 Euro
good luck for all! ;)

Schnatterplatsch said:
EDIT: Maybe something like: The material prizes get valued(f.e. 16GB = 20E, A380 = 100E...) and then the whole pot gets splitted such as the first place gets 35% the second 25%, 3rd 20%, 4th 10% and 5th and 6th 5%. The first place is allowed to grabs his material prizes first(since someone who already owns a caanoo maybe wants a dingoo over another caanoo) and so on... Just a rough idea...

That sounds like an interesting idea as my concern, too, was that there is a high possibility a lot of those item prizes land on eBay pretty quickly as they come as an "unwanted gift".

bump.

i'd just wanted to know when we get the image(s) for the sponsoring splash screens. i'm pretty much tight in time and i'm mostly not available on the next two weekends, so... well it would be boring to get disqualified just because of that :)

Hi crow_riot. Yeah, i've been trying to work on that. I'm realizing i am no artist. I'll make you a promise. I'll finish it tomorrow evening (Thursday evening GMT), and it will just have to be what it will be :)

BlackCurtain said:
Maybe I've missed it somewhere, but how do you submit your game? The Skylark demo is finished, I'm doing the finishing touches.

i think you only need to send uni a link where to download it http://www.riotdigital.com/ttcc2011/?page=Contact ... but still it's a good question :)

I'm just wondering how the voting will work ?

1 ) Will people vote on gp32x.de ? Or on any community forum ?

2 ) Also how the winner will be determined ?

I mean, if there are (example) :

4 games on Caanoo

4 games on Dingoo

2 games on Pandora

The winner will will be the game with the best number of votes ? But maybe there are less Caanoo than Dingoo, and maybe less Pandora than Caanoo.

So the winner would be the biggest community ?

I hoped the panel would take care of this to get a fair judgement... Letting the community decide will lead to quite some stress regarding how deeply some people consider the scene seperated.

I have a bad feeling about this...

So you will let three people judge possibly over 10 games? That is a huge workload and responsibility!

I don't see that much problems letting the communities vote, we are all civil and rational people aren't we? So we will vote for the best game, not the one only made exclusively for the handheld we like most?
This is supposed to be cross-community, cross-platform competition, so in order to get the most votes people are actually encouraged to target as many handhelds as possible (and let's face it if you manage to build for one, building for the other is just a matter of installing the respective toolchain).
I personally will vote for the best game I am able to play (meaning only Windows/Linux/Pandora version), so every game not covering those handhelds will not be played by me and won't get my vote. I don't do that because I hate GPH, the gp32x community or other bullshit, but because I will try to vote as fair as possible and I can only vote for games I actually have played.

I see there has been some stress between gp32x and gphSpain, between "the GPH guys" and "the Pandora guys", but do you still care? Are those problems really that bad, do you hate each other that much? Or isn't it all water under the bridge now?
I can't see why we couldn't put any differences behind - all people targeted by this competition are lovers of open handhelds and homebrew gaming after all, so we have a lot in common.
Just act reasonable, release your game for as many handhelds as possible, by doing that get the biggest audience possible (who wouldn't want to achieve that?) and finally vote for what you think is the best game in the competition, without any bias against any handheld or person.

I think more competitions like this could actually get the "scene" back together, there is no good reason this should not happen.

That is all.

This competition is ALL about bringing the communities together. Encouraging people to work together and release for as many platforms as possible. Some will make platform exclusives, and that is fine too.

Voting will be done on the RIOTdigital website starting Monday at some point when i have verified all the entries are ok.

/Uni

Oh well i thought the voting will happen by the competition panel.

That's a major drawback for me, really. In the end it's just going to be a name voting - the more popular you are in the forums/communities the more votes you'll get.

*edit*
how do you hinder that someone votes for a game someone hasn't actually played? i mean, just putting a vote button on the webpage will result in abuse.

Back