Riot Tag-Team Coding Competition

B) We're announcing our project by this weekend. (Wiz + Caanoo)

Update: Here is the project topic: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/59508-a-homebrew-project-codenamed-aaaa/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! Just wanna publicly respond to your thoughts on extending the deadline. I dont have any huge problems with it, I am sure there are a couple devs who could really benefit from this time to polish the game more.
Crow and I plan to have a fully playable single map game by the end of the original deadline, so an extended one might allow us to do implement more features, such as new maps, etc.

And so the rest of the world isn't in the dark, this info is from twitter:
Would devs like a 2 weeks extension for RIOT Tag-Team coding competition #ttcc11 ? Let me know your thoughts riotdigital.com/ttcc2011/

I would welcome any extension, since I've recently received the gift of a son... and hence have little spare time... So that too weeks may help get something releasable for the compo deadline... who knows? :)

traylorpark said:
Hey! Just wanna publicly respond to your thoughts on extending the deadline. I dont have any huge problems with it, I am sure there are a couple devs who could really benefit from this time to polish the game more.
Crow and I plan to have a fully playable single map game by the end of the original deadline, so an extended one might allow us to do implement more features, such as new maps, etc.
I am all for extending it. I could use an extra week or so to make some fine tuning. Am gonna start working on the first boss for my game (coding and sprites), then I'm pretty much done with my demo.

The rules were made and I think it's a little unfair to change them now. People might have planned to get things ready for the 25th, maybe even dropped features and such and it would really upset me in such a case to see my planning ruined.
There was a discussion about "rule changing" for the pandora platformer compo as well and the result was: Dont't do it.

PokeParadox said:
I would welcome any extension, since I've recently received the gift of a son... and hence have little spare time... So that too weeks may help get something releasable for the compo deadline... who knows? :)

Wow congrats mate. I'm in the same boat. Two more months and it's showtime! :)

BlackCurtain said:
Schnatterplatsch said:
People might have planned to get things ready for the 25th, maybe even dropped features and such
Then they will have time to add those features now :)

I hope you are not serious about this. If you make a concept for "feature-missing" code meant to work within 5 weeks(...and since these competitions are always a run against time, the code might not be white clean) adding those features can easily lead to bigger rewrites.
Anyway it is unfair to those who seriously calculated with this deadline.
Next time choose an extended deadline, but do not change rules 2 weeks before the finish.

Schnatterplatsch said:
BlackCurtain said:
Schnatterplatsch said:
People might have planned to get things ready for the 25th, maybe even dropped features and such

I hope you are not serious about this. If you make a concept for "feature-missing" code meant to work within 5 weeks(...and since these competitions are always a run against time, the code might not be white clean) adding those features can easily lead to bigger rewrites.
Next time choose an extended deadline, but do not change rules 2 weeks before the finish.
I sincerely hope he is.
Well, I plan my code before I write it, so I keep it modular and make adding stuff as easy as possible, so adding new features is not that big of a deal.

Personally, I did calculate with the deadline, but it's not like I would not know what to do in the additional two weeks - I have more time to create levels, let people bug- and feature- test the game, polish it, consider adding features, etc.
I won't throw everything over board I have done before, but rather perfect a game which I would have submitted more rough otherwise.

Most competitions I have watched so far had their deadline extended because people tend to start to late and end up getting in trouble. This obviously favours those, but it is not like it is a slap in the face of every one planning properly either as they have time to add more content or test the game (there always are more bugs to find).
In general it helps take the stress off some teams to finish and helps others to add more features or polish - there is nothing wrong with that.

If any dev has a serious problem with the extension, because it completely ruins their plans, he should speak up of course.

Schnatterplatsch said:

The way we've been working, the contest submission will pretty much be a snap shot of a larger game that we will continue working on. Its not like development stops when the contest ends. On the contrary, its a nice motivational milestone to keep us going. For us, more time simply equals more stuff.

I guess I have no arguments here... It just doesn't feel right for me, but I know the feeling of being stressed because of deadlines.
I remember even skeezix speaking(and that pretty rough) against rule changes, but do whatever you like.

Schnatterplatsch said:
BlackCurtain said:
Schnatterplatsch said:

I see where you are coming from and I didn't consider that point. I was thinking more in the lines of minor tweaks and additions, not any major additional mechanics or systems, then a extension wouldn't hurt.

Hi Coders,
I appreciate all your work. From my point of view, as a user, I have to say, take the time to finish your product.
I´ve seen so many projects, never got beyond beta state. You need more time? Take it. Maybe you´re not winning first price here, but you can get a legend like the coder of cavestory.

Hey everybody.

Well, we've got a good project control here. So we don't need any extra time.

But, these 2 weeks could present us some free time. So why not?

2 weeks cannot spoil your projects. Guys, it's all for good.
On playing someone's game I keep in mind "Oh! They had 14 more days to polish it!"

sebt3 said:
Don Miguel said:
On playing someone's game I keep in mind "Oh! They had 14 more days to polish it!"
thus somehow cheated ?
No I think he's saying that a uniform extension for EVERYONE is perfectly fair. It's not cheating.
The way I see it is you have more chance of seeing more people finish a satisfactory release if you push the deadline once.
It's important to be able to work to deadlines, but a surprised extensions should always be welcomed, since more time = more polish... and if you are struggling behind, at least you can possibly get your game releasable.

It's Win/Win really. If you have finished critical development, you can either add a bonus feature, or apply extra polish. and if you are behind, you don't have the same liberty, you just might get finished...

In my case my baby boy was a bit earlier than anticipated... this wasn't exactly part of the plan! :p
If you want to see a PirateBaby release for compo deadline... it's more likely with the extension and even then I'm likely to be placed behind those that have been able to keep their schedules... so what's the problem?

Back