Rick Dangerous 1 & 2 And The Amiga Emu

GP40

Ok doke, I've played the xRick port and it works great (though wasnt the gp32 port full screen? oh, and does the 2x one support the level codes?). The control is spot on; its better than with the gp32 wobble stick and surprisingly even easier than on the Amiga with a Zipstick :eek:

Now then, I tried Rick D II on the Amiga emulator (great job bth, many many thanks B) ) but when you duck rick and try to change directions while still crouched, he often pops up half way through and gets zapped on something :(

So this sounds like the deadzone of the stick? xRick works 100% fine so whatever thats doing is pukka. Perhaps it polls the stick slower? (though most likely not too slow as far as humans can detect?) or uses one of DaveCs methods?

GP40 posted on Apr 18 2006 at 05:26 PM said:
Ok doke, I've played the xRick port and it works great (though wasnt the gp32 port full screen? oh, and does the 2x one support the level codes?). The control is spot on; its better than with the gp32 wobble stick and surprisingly even easier than on the Amiga with a Zipstick :eek:

Now then, I tried Rick D II on the Amiga emulator (great job bth, many many thanks B) ) but when you duck rick and try to change directions while still crouched, he often pops up half way through and gets zapped on something :(

So this sounds like the deadzone of the stick? xRick works 100% fine so whatever thats doing is pukka. Perhaps it polls the stick slower? (though most likely not too slow as far as humans can detect?) or uses one of DaveCs methods?
It's because of the joystick handling, as you identified. I'm going to move the joystick handling to DaveC's case 2, and keep the mouse emulation handling as it is. That would solve that control issue.

EDIT: I just changed the controls to comform to case 2, and it does seem to help in those cases, but I didn't notice them much before :)

I'm going to be making a release this week (without the cyclone core for now), and hope to incorporate that.

Last edited by a moderator:
critical posted on Apr 19 2006 at 09:40 AM said:
GP40 posted on Apr 18 2006 at 05:26 PM said:

It's because of the joystick handling, as you identified. I'm going to move the joystick handling to DaveC's case 2, and keep the mouse emulation handling as it is. That would solve that control issue.

EDIT: I just changed the controls to comform to case 2, and it does seem to help in those cases, but I didn't notice them much before :)

I'm going to be making a release this week (without the cyclone core for now), and hope to incorporate that.

I'm so sorry I missed this :( I was relying on the board reply notification but it didnt send an email.

Thanks so so much, Rick D 2 is working fine with the latest release and thanks even more so for the port as a whole B)

:D :D

GP40 posted on May 11 2006 at 09:40 PM said:
critical posted on Apr 19 2006 at 09:40 AM said:

I'm so sorry I missed this :( I was relying on the board reply notification but it didnt send an email.

Thanks so so much, Rick D 2 is working fine with the latest release and thanks even more so for the port as a whole B)

:D :D

Well... I didn't actually make a new release in the end, because I didn't notice any difference after more testing, and no-one else seemed to have issues with the controls. So I'm glad you're happy with it now... maybe you were using a version that was older than 0.5.1 before? :)

critical posted on May 12 2006 at 09:32 AM said:
Well... I didn't actually make a new release in the end, because I didn't notice any difference after more testing, and no-one else seemed to have issues with the controls. So I'm glad you're happy with it now... maybe you were using a version that was older than 0.5.1 before? :)

Yep, I upgraded from 0.4.* to 0.5.1. Thanks :D

Back