Reword - A 6 Letter Word Game V0.4

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Al McLuckie (purplepup) updated his remake of the Flash Game TextTwist called REWORD - A 6 letter word game.

He included two new gaming modes: Speed and TimeTrial.

reword_demo-0.gif

Download: REWORD - A 6 letter word game v0.4

Thanks EvilDragon :D , you beat me to posting the release info...

Finally got round to finishing some updates to REWORD, so here is version 0.4.

The main change is the addition of two new game modes (Speed6 and TimeTrial)

Changes:
Added game modes - "reword" "speed6" and "time trial"
- Speed6 is similar to classic Reword, but dispenses with having to find any further
3, 4 and 5 letter words once a 6 is found.
- TimeTrial is again similar, but you are given a limited time in which to get as
many 6 letter words as possible.
Added longer dictionary definitions with scrolling
- There are currently around 7400 words of which 2800 are 6 letter words.
Added in-game popup menu (/w warning pinger) for quick exit/save/move-on
New format score file incl. speed6 & TimeTrial (converts old format)
Added bonuses for fastest times in Speed6 and TimeTrial
Added some more sfx and animation.
Changed graphics to be rgb565 for 16 bit display (better gradients)
Added inclusion/exclusion files to rewordlist dictionary util

Still haven't done anything with the lack of in-game music :(
Maybe next time.

See README.txt for more info

Download it here:
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,25,1867

Off to start a new game dev now...
Cheers
Al

Excellent! I only stumbled upon this great game yesterday, and now there is a new update.

Thanks. :D

Great game! Thank you! I'm a Scrabble nut so a word game like this is key for my GP2X. Thanks again!

PurplePup:
I registered an account just to tell you how awesome this game is. My mom is super addicted to TextTwist and this is even better!

consider for next version: touchscreen support (with clear and enter buttons and a way to remove the last letter entered with the stylus)

Thanks for the support guys.

morgushong, I had contemplated putting touch screen support in for this version but never got round to it. I don't have an F200 to test with so if I do, it'll have to be tested by others. I assume I code for the mouse and let Paeryn's new SDL touchscreen mods do the GP2X translation. It's definitely something I will do, especially when I convert this for the Pandora ( I have the cash waiting... :D ).

Al

This is one of my SD-card staples, so it's great to see an update. Thankyou.

Deep in my heart though, I know the full title of this game is:

REWORD: A Six Letter Word Game Beginning With 'R'

..but it's late and I need sleep. :)

I have blown countless hours on your Reword games in the past and this one is a welcome upgrade. I DO have one issue with it however. While in the main menu the music is extremely loud and the volume controls have no effect on it at all.

The volume WORKS in game(sounds are lower or off) but the menu music is blaring and uneffected. Can that be brought under the control of the volume as well?

Running MK2 F100 with 2.0.0.

Classic Gamer said:
The volume WORKS in game(sounds are lower or off) but the menu music is blaring and uneffected. Can that be brought under the control of the volume as well?
Hmmm, that was one of the things I never finalized. It uses a MOD file (old Amiga style tracker sound file) to get a nice arcade sound with minimal size, but it uses the libmikmod support in the SDL_mixer library which does not respond to volume controls as the other sounds do. I need to process it with the libmikmod library directly, but have never got it to work, so I might just remove the MOD music and replace it with OGG. Larger but more controllable. Sorry for the blaring!

If someone has or can to point me to a good free OGG sample/music I can use, I'll change it. I have a couple of mp3's a mate did for his album (http://www.soulrehab.com/), so I might try and get him to let me use one.

P.S love the sig animation!

P.P.S My girlfriend was playtesting the other day and got 200+ words in Speed6 on medium!!! Anyone beaten that ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought I'd pop by and say this is one of the most addictive games I've found in a while now. And very very polished. I've not really found anything that could be improved in terms of control scheme - everything just feels right :).

Only one comment for improvement: either the word-list needs to be bigger, or you need to check the algorithm for picking which word should be next. Picnic (an easy one to rack up 1000+ points on) seems to come up very often, and, more unbalancingly, usually seems to be surrounded by other similarly easy words.

However, I suspect once you're into the silly levels of acomplishment this balances out...

Many thanks :) !

:gp2x

this will stay on my memory card for a LONG time....thanks for devving this lil beauty for us.....

Music on main menu is annoying but not annoying enough to stop this being a 10/10 game.

Looks like I've got a bit of tweaking to do...

I've got a possible solution to the music volume problem so that should go in soon. Mind you, on my F100, it's just at the right sound level. From other posts (especially the F200 post on the subject) it seems default volume differs widely over devices.

The randomness of the words was something my playtester (gf) brought up a while ago but I've never noticed it myself. Maybe I'm not playing it enough :)
I'll have another look into that...
when I'm not coding my new fast paced (I hope) blockbuster!

Only discovered this last night, thanks to the thread asking for "brain training" type games. The only puzzle I do in our local paper is Target, so this game is a godsend! Thank you muchly for the release.

I can't wait to see a touchscreen enabled version. In the meantime, my repertoire of obscure three letter words is going through the roof. :lol:

Back