RetroEngine Sigma - Interested?

This would have actually required some (mild) engenieering efforts.

What bugs me most (besides that I personally think its butt-ugly) is the attitude they show about using illegal roms - not even hinting at the fact that those "thousands of additional ROMS" would require thousands of dollars to actually acquire them .

But I will certainly take a look at this at the end of the campaign - just out of curiosity which 15 "branded" titles they will include

There is this:
Legal Disclaimer: The designs and functionality shown are not necessarily final, they are used for illustrative purposes and may be subject to change. The SBC board used in the prototypes is subject to change depending on economies of scale. The system does not ship with software components or games we didn't either license, develop ourselves or use under a permissible Open Source license. Where we modify or build on Open Source software in order to enable the functionality of our system, we will release all source code once distribution of the final units commences, irrespectively of license type.

ROM(**) usage: If you decide to install the additional Emulator Pack to enable the system to run game backups from older systems, the legality of using such ROMs depends on your countries laws and on additional circumstances such as for example your continued permission of the original copy of the game as well as the original hardware it ran on. The functionality is meant to allow you access to your old gaming favorites, in cases where e.g. technical reasons prevent you from continued use of those - always subject to the laws of your country. We do not condone software piracy.

* - An Emulator is a program that tells a computer how to behave like the console or arcade machine did, so that it knows how to interpret the ROMs.

** - A ROM is a digital copy of an individual game program that was originally running on Arcade machines, consoles or older home-computers. A ROM can normally only be run on the system it was originally designed for.

The design looks like an MegaDrive hommage, neat. The rest is not so interesting imho, there are enough alternative options to realize such an device.

I suddenly remember onto an other project, they wanted to use old Jaguar case molds for new Console hardware inside, what happend with that?

FYI - RetrOrangePi released version 3.0 a couple days ago. Hopefully they've sorted out their issues.

If you don't care what the case looks like, you can get an orange pi lite with a case, power supply, and microSD card for $25. Add the USB gamepad of your choice and the retroorangepi image above, and you've got a functionally-identical device for significantly less money and 6 months sooner than the retroengine.

Though honestly, you're still better off spending the extra $20 or so to get a RPi3. It's superior hardware with much better software support.

Back