Wikireader

laurens

OpenMoko have made a new gadget. An offline wikipedia reader, powered by 2 AAA's, which should last a year, they claim.

image_thumb5.png

http://www.thewikireader.com/index.html

I think I'll order one, any other takers? I know I can do this probably on my pandora, but this is really tempting too...

It's a sexy little device by the looks of it and should do well what it's designed to do. However, I don't really need one... And I can't justify spending 99$ just for fun right now... Might be a fun device for grandparents and kids, though. B)

I might buy one. Just want to see some more information and reviews of the actual device.
Not interested in the wikipedia capabilities though, I hope to see some more software developed for it.

(naw)mcx said:
[sub]it's probably more powerful the the pandora now :( [/sub]

I do hope you're joking.. I can't even tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
(naw)mcx said:

He probably is just making a joke about how so many people are like "oh no the iPhone has our processor now we're lame" or "It's been delayed too long now it's old", as though design time hasn't been a problem for any other engineering project, ever.

Impressive, this is a nice idea! Figures, I don't quite think you can update it, though...

Enverex said:
Jourdy288 said:
Impressive, this is a nice idea! Figures, I don't quite think you can update it, though...

Their website says you can.

Whoops, NVRMND.

I wonder what format they're saved as... that must be a pretty good capacity microSD card!

Jourdy288 said:
Enverex said:
Jourdy288 said:

Whoops, NVRMND.

I wonder what format they're saved as... that must be a pretty good capacity microSD card!

~4GB. Again, it's on the Website.

lulzfish said:
Exophase said:
(naw)mcx said:

He probably is just making a joke about how so many people are like "oh no the iPhone has our processor now we're lame" or "It's been delayed too long now it's old", as though design time hasn't been a problem for any other engineering project, ever.
yes, i am taking the piss.

If you like this then you might also have a look at
http://www.qi-hardware.com/

not out yet, but the buzz on the dev mailing list that it will come out in a month (or 2? :) )

more seriously, they are signing the hardware of the first model off next week.

Enverex said:
Jourdy288 said:
Enverex said:
Jourdy288 said:

Whoops, NVRMND.

~4GB. Again, it's on the Website.
I know, I read it, but I'm wondering about the format.

The nodes are purely textual and have very minimal formatting. I imagine they use a simple custom format. The HTML would have a lot of information they don't need.

I figured that, the screen looks about as simple as a calculator, lol.

Back