RetroEngine Sigma - Interested?

I'll wait for some wiser comments here, but seems to me a very good Pandora competitor for TV gaming/desktopping !!

Very enticing. And at >700% funding, other people think too. If I were a pure gamer... this would be for me. (but with so little RAM (only half a gig), I couldn't browse the web...)

It's an Orange Pi One board in a molded case, running software you can just download.

It does seem to be a reasonable bundle for that price though. The OPi1 seems to be going for about $10, combined with a bargain bin microSD card at probably $5 and an cheapo analogue controller at something similar leaves $50 for that case and a few bits and bobs, in the cheapest bundle. It is quite a nice case, although I'd look at swapping out that green LED for a retro red one.

But look at the price... I mean RasPi + case + OS/Emus already there + accessories...

EDIT:

yeah, as @levi said ;P

No doubting it's a good deal, it's almost 900% funded... I just feel these guys are laughing their way to the bank on this project, basically just wrapping an preexisting product in a new shiny package...

it's the same as orange pi you say? Interesting. Raspberry pi 3 is my current "console" for retro gaming and it performs great for older generation consoles.

Seems like a good deal as far as a bundle is concerned. If what you are paying for with this "unique idea" is a pastic molded case that resembles a old school game console, I'm fine with that actually. Kudos to them.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/04...berry-pi-vs-banana-pi-vs-orange-pi-vs-odroid/

but i don't like that plastic molded case that resembles an old school game console...

It looks like they're using EmulationStation. They are aware they CANNOT include some of the emulator cores (like SNES9x) as that's not allowed for commercial use?
I also know the libretro devs (which is what EmulationStation uses) are usually not okay including that for commercial purposes either.

It looks like they're using EmulationStation. They are aware they CANNOT include some of the emulator cores (like SNES9x) as that's not allowed for commercial use?
I also know the libretro devs (which is what EmulationStation uses) are usually not okay including that for commercial purposes either.

Maybe they could do a free downloadable preconfigured package ?

Maybe they could do a free downloadable preconfigured package ?

They can't anyone else not involved with the project can.
It's the same issue with the RetroPi. I can produce the shell and sell the package but not with the OS included.
I can link to installation sources and offer scripts that setup everything, but it's not okay to include it.

I just noticed they don't plan on selling retail after the campaign ends, does that change OS included issue ED? I wasn't considering it but it's so cheap....... and a little bit cute.

The comments on this campaign look like they're from people living in a bubble regarding emulation.

Nothing this offers is new and cannot be done already on numerous other platforms.

When I 1st spotted this a couple of days ago they were touting it with Dreamcast emulation, I notice that it has now been removed.

I wonder how long it'll be before our Pyras are emulating stuff using both cores at the same time. Looks to me like this is running everything on a single core, rougly in line with what my GHz pandora can do, which I'd expect an A7 at 600MHz to be able to handle too. This has four A7 cores at that speed, but I doubt it's using the others heavily during gameplay.

I wonder if that design is licensed. Seeing how much money is in these small boxen made by ninendo, maybe sega wants in.
The "4-core" label is what deads it for me.

It could have some retro game-controller ports for novel points.

It could have some retro game-controller ports for novel points.
This would have actually required some (mild) engenieering efforts.

What bugs me most (besides that I personally think its butt-ugly) is the attitude they show about using illegal roms - not even hinting at the fact that those "thousands of additional ROMS" would require thousands of dollars to actually acquire them .

But I will certainly take a look at this at the end of the campaign - just out of curiosity which 15 "branded" titles they will include

Back