GP2X Request: Lynx Emulation For The Gp2X-Wiz

Beefy

Still Fresh
A moments pause for the great sad feeling that washes over ones self as one realizes that the existing Handy ports won't run on the shiny new Wiz.
[pausing...]
I now return you to the 1000's of other games you can play. But you'll have to wait for Lynx stuff.

What is it with these people?

Only software from the Wiz software archive is guaranteed to work. Software in the gp2x archive is almost guaranteed NOT to work.

Secondly, please read the rules before posting. They are at the top of every forum. Your other post was in a thread over 6 years old.

I've also edited your topic title so as to not confuse people.

Well, Squige, since you asked...
I'm all the way "new" to the GP product line. My new GP2X-Wiz is one day old. FWIW, I spent several hours trolling boards and sites learning about the hardware differences. Learning is an ongoing and changing process and you have met me at the GP2X beginning. As you pointed out, apps compiled for the GP2X should not be expected to run on the GP2X-Wiz. The units sport different cpu's. Recompiling GP2X apps will be required. In other words, for those still trying to figure out what their new GP2X-Wiz can do, there is no backward compatibility with applications (emulators) compiled for the GP32 and GP2X. If there is a GP2X app you were hoping to run on your GP2X-Wiz, you will have to get the source code and recompile it yourself, or wait for another developer to do so.

As you likely know, there are many sites asserting that the GP2X-Wiz is a "... mini GP2X." For both good and bad reasons, these statements are not entirely true. For anyone still following this thread along, my new GP2X-Wiz is nicely running emu for NES, SEGA, and MAME4ALL (~1800 titles). It's a great unit.

As for my Lynx emulation plea, well... the platform holds a special place in my heart. There may be only ~70 titles, but they all ran on the first portable, color, handheld gaming system.

Squidge, I think you came down on me a little hard. Dinging my "reputation -1" is a harsh welcome to the GP2X(Wiz) world.

Just my 2-cents

Beefy,

I didn't change your reputation - thats done by other people simply voting your existing posts.

There is also a Wiz Wiki linked to in the General forum, and on the first page of 'I need help' is still a post from someone else asking about backwards compatibility.

Indeed, there is a post under "I need help" addressing compatibility between the F200 and GP2X-Wiz. Dude, are you stressed over my goofing my day1 observation that GP2X-Wiz and GP2X are not byte code compatible? There is no such discussion under "I need Help." I'm sure there are many new GP2X-Wiz owners who will raise an eyebrow when they discover similarly. There is a lynx emu called Handy that runs on the GP2X. My post to "Emulators" that Handy won't also run on the GP2X-Wiz ain't that far off topic IMHO.

Your comment of "What is it with these people" seems to indicate it's time for you to take a moderating rest. ;) Go flame somebody else, or even better, don't login for a few days and go smell some roses.

I'll still be learning about the line of GP2X products, but not with much help from you.

@ Beefy,

Squidge never said there was a discussion in the "I need help" WIZ forum. He said, And i quote "on the first page of 'I need help' is still a post from someone else asking about backwards compatibility.", Which is Here, Pinned at the top of the forum.

It sounds as though you are the one who need to take timeout, As Squidge has pointed you to a topic (With answers) related to one of the questions you asked. Which has been previously asked by many people, So that topic was pinned for future reference, And to point people to, Who had similar questions.

As for a port of handy, I can see there is an SDL port for the GP2x, So the possibilities of a port to the WIZ are fairly high,
But only if someone is prepared to do it.

BTW, I was the one who moved your topic, As is is more likely to get more exposure here.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the source for the better GP2X Lynx emu. I think there were two and "handy" wasn't full speed.

GPLynx http://www.geocities.com/dcancilier@sbcglobal.net/lynx.zip

I to hope someone will port it but things are pretty slow these days for the Wiz.

@Trooper
Thanks for your reply and for putting the post where it might do some good.
Some may not consider a discussion of the F200 and GP2X as the same thing.
Your agreeing with Squidge doesn't make him, or you, right.
Best -
Perry

Thanks DaveC.
Nice that the archive pointed to includes lynxboot.img, a sometimes difficult to locate, yet required file.
Am really close to doing a port. All the raw material are available. Just can't quite make the time right now. If nothing shows in the coming months, I might invest the necessary effort.
Thanks again.

Beefy said:
Thanks DaveC.
Nice that the archive pointed to includes lynxboot.img, a sometimes difficult to locate, yet required file.
Am really close to doing a port. All the raw material are available. Just can't quite make the time right now. If nothing shows in the coming months, I might invest the necessary effort.
Thanks again.
You can code? Well there you go you made a wish to have Lynx and now you can grant your own wish!

I can't code at all or I would port it :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back