Replace Postcounts With Helpfulness* Ratings.

post counts suck, member numbers are where it't at and we all know who the OG's are here.

Rico, I wouldn't say that having a Guru avatar is such a good thing, as many people who have them I dislike as they are always so quick to put-down n00bs who ask questions. Hi Vimacs.
But then again I am obvously just tarring everybody with the same brush here.
I wouldn't say the Guru's are exactly friendly, many feel like they have done their bit for the community and need not do anymore.

But you are (probably-I have no Idea on this type of thing) right about Karma systems being abused.
However I think that with a decent ammount of time they could be perfected (I'm not asking this to be done here any more), you could stop people from rating particular the same person over and over again (with a quota or something).
The problem of people trying to increase their ratings by helping lots of people, I do not really see as having as many detrimental effects as you say, after all the person who has helped gets an increased rating and the person who recieves help (gets his wish granted - on the house!!).

I sort of agree with Mosch but would like to stress that most people on this board are very unfrequent posters/n00bs and the atmosphere which I have mentioned above (of people trying to help) would help them.

Can't we at least hide the post count from view??

However I think that with a decent ammount of time they could be perfected (I'm not asking this to be done here any more), you could stop people from rating particular the same person over and over again (with a quota or something).
The problem of people trying to increase their ratings by helping lots of people, I do not really see as having as many detrimental effects as you say, after all the person who has helped gets an increased rating and the person who recieves help (gets his wish granted - on the house!!).

I sort of agree with Mosch but would like to stress that most people on this board are very unfrequent posters/n00bs and the atmosphere which I have mentioned above (of people trying to help) would help them.

On CNCForen we have such a system, you can only give Karma to the same person once in 24 hours and must spread Karma around before giving some to the same person again. Then there is this crazy formula which is used to calculate how much Karma you actually give (based on post count, Karma points, the date you joined and probably some more), and well, nothing really stops the system from being abused. You need to give Karma to 10 other persons before giving it to XXX again? Just run around and spam generic Karma around....

By the way, the infrequent posters shouldn't be such babies and demand a rating system so they can tell who is friendly and who is not friendly while people answer their question... know what I'm getting at? They get the answers anyway so they can make up their own mind, and if they don't get answers, the rating system doesn't do any good either: "Oh man, if he had answered me, he would have been SOOO helpful!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Karma talk

There is a protective mechanism to the abuse of karma attribution. Members with higher karma have more "voice", they can attribute more points. Members with few karma (or even trolls with negative) have much less power so they can't allocate sufficient negative points to someone they want to take down.
This armed with only being able to give Karma to the same person once every 72 hours or so and not being able to give Karma to the same people too often (ie. a group of friends can't get give good karma to the same people each time - and can't gain the ability to do so by just spreading generic Karma... ie actually give a time limit of a month before they can or Karma suspensions/ dockings)

If you just spam generic Karma around people are going to become wary of you and give you low Karma therefore reducing you ability to affect other peoples Karma rating.

To be honest I can't really see why people would want to abuse this system, that would be quite sad. People will want to keep the status they have attained and will not want to lose it because of abuse of the system.

You may think that if somebody is given bad karma by another member they may just give them bad karma back, but this is not possible as if they are a member with very bad karma giving a low rating to a member with very high Karma, it will have a negligable effect.
(they will have a lower Karma than that person if as expected what they did to achieve that low Karma was noticed by more people than just the person who gave bad karma - and they therefore got multiple lots of Bad Karma).
The system should be self supporting and stay in equilibirum.

Infrequent posters are not demanding this system, I am just saying that we should try and support the majority of people signed up to this forum, not just he old-timers.
I can't quite see why people would bother answering saying things like: "Oh man, if he had answered me, he would have been SOOO helpful!", or any of the other witty quips you bit in the n00bs mouth.
While in almost all cases on this forum they get the answers they need, it does not follow that therefore there is no reason to encourage any more helpful co-operation. :unsure:

The rating system (supposing it is not abused - see my reasons for not believing this above) would encourage people to be helpful and support the community even more than they do now.

OK, for clarification ;) We have the system you talk about on CNCForen, and believe me, it does get abused.

Now, about the rating and the effect... what does it help? A newbie asks a question. Now there's two possiblities:
a) He gets an answer. No matter how high of a helpful rating this poster has, he has answered and that's what counts.
B) He doesn't get an answer and the rating system is not going to change anything about that. He may see that someone is the most helpful in the world, but that doesn't help him at all because nobody answered the question.
Then there's the hidden third possibility that the newbie will get flamed to hell and back and in the case the rating is completely useless too.

Nobody here seems to really care about his post count, why should anyone care about their rating score? The system would be the same as now: If I post an answer to a question, my post count rises. In your system, I post an answer and my helpful rating rises. The system is basically the same with slight differences.

I rekon Hando should leave the damn thing off. TBH the last time it was taken off I didn't even notice. This time it was only when I got to Hando's Post that I realised it was off again :)

hhmmmm.. how about a system where a guru can pass his status to another member.. At the moment I dont have as much time as did at uni to go on the forums or for my gp32 so my 'helpfulness' has decreased...

I haven't even owned a gp32 for 6 months now and i still hang around here sometimes.

How helpful is that?

(s/helpful/sad)

Anyway this whole idea is pointless and silly. Anyone who spends more than 5 minutes on the board will realise who the helpful people are and who the morons are.

I haven't even owned a gp32 for 6 months now and i still hang around here sometimes.

How helpful is that?

(s/helpful/sad)

Anyway this whole idea is pointless and silly. Anyone who spends more than 5 minutes on the board will realise who the helpful people are and who the morons are.
I think it's fine. We're not all here to help, just discuss a cool little white thing ;) :D

How helpful is that?

(s/helpful/sad)

I think it's fine. We're not all here to help, just discuss a cool little white thing ;) :D
We discuss the gp32?

I think we should have the Karma system for one month and see how it works out. After that month, we could choose whether or not to keep it. Other than that, we could try instead a rating system for topics or individual posts.

I think we should have the Karma system for one month and see how it works out. After that month, we could choose whether or not to keep it. Other than that, we could try instead a rating system for topics or individual posts.
Maybe but, I am going off the Idea anyway, as everybody on thsi board would just abuse it (you are all such BASTARDS!)

<joke>

But I don't think the rating system for posts would be that good as I pretty much decide whehter I want to read a post on its title. Whether it had a 5 star rating or not would not really interest me. It would be good however if Highly rated posts took less time to sink to the end of the page (and would not have to be bumped as often when people weren't posting in them).

Hey wait a sec post counts off again. YaaY.
I am wonering If I should retype that beast of a post I was gonna use to counter Mosch, but now I am not sure. Anyone interested. It was good.

Damn Internet Security at school stopped me from posting and then when I pressed back on IE "my precious" was gone.

Back