Repeated Question Possibly, Can You Link Gp2xs?

RoboJoe32

Could you in theory, link together two GP2X systems to swap data or for multiplayer purposes? (via the USB cable or EXT cable) or perhaps a third party device using wireless?

I've seen people interested in TV out, trying to confirm alot of other features, but i've yet to hear a large userbase ask for/confirm linkability.

I know alot of people are hung up on wi-fi (well, the non GP32 board goers at least like i've seen on digg. the "I would get it if it had a harddrive and wi-fi" folks :rolleyes: ")

Which needs to be explained later why it's immpractical and expensive to put a harddrive and wi-fi in a handheld device.... (Which it is.)

But why couldn't a simpler form of wireless, or just USB linking be implemented? (if it isn't already) And if it's not, could it be implemented with just a firmware update/alteration?

Thanks in advance.

Thats a very good question

im interested in the "2 gp2xs swapping data" part, cause what if someone has a sweet game you want?! then you could just copy the game over to your SD card, that would own.

Looking how in some photos we have seen a EXT to serial adapter (for debugging?), you could perhaps make a ext-serial-ext cable.

Well, it's even possible for someone to make a link cable using the ext. port (theoretically) once the ext. port pinout is available but someone would have to make a driver of some sort for it.

(note that's also based on someone being able to find a suitable ext. port connector that can be rewired and doesn't cost too much...)

I think we should be able to do it over usb, heck my ti-84 then the gp2x must be able to. But really how many people do you know are getting a gp2x?

Kinda unrealistic that most GP2X-owners will know other owners personally, right? ;)

I am going to force my local friends to buy one so I can play multi-player games :p I would assume that some multi-player functionality will be established soon after its release.

Me, my brother and one of my friends at work are all getting one...it would be nice, but it's not a necessity. I'm sure there will be some way to communicate between gp2x's eventually.

WiFi: Maybe possible to use an SDIO card with WiFi if someone makes a driver.
USB: No Host mode avalible so it may not be possible unless it can be activated somehow.
EXT: If it's possible to use it for anything but TV-Out that is.

Due to the low price it's not impossible for anyone with a job to actually buy 2.

The EXT port has 2 UARTs so its certainly possible, you'd need a game that supports it though. Oh and file transfer would be stupidly slow (remember null-modem cables)

theoddbot posted on Oct 21 2005 at 10:15 PM said:
The EXT port has 2 UARTs so its certainly possible, you'd need a game that supports it though. Oh and file transfer would be stupidly slow (remember null-modem cables)
Null Modem was plenty fast enough for Amiga classics Gravity Power and Knights of The Sky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back