Reordering Update

javaJake said:
Chip asked that everyone hold off on Xoom until the first few payments go through. If it works, they'll give us the OK and possibly some instructions on how to do it.

I will be willing to pay with this method, once we get the go ahead and instructions. Like many others, I wasn't going to bother with an international bank transfer through one of my banks for various reasons. Xoom sounds like it may be adequate for the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but the bigger question is what do I/we pay? :unsure:

For example, on 12/9/2008 I was refunded $620.80 after preordering originally with 419.97GBP($749.14 on 10/1/2008).
Now taking 419.97GBP and plugging that amount into xe.com converts to $628.61 today. $628.61 is not what i was refunded back but I keep hearing that we only pay back what we have received back.

So Craig, Chip, Santa, or anyone what officially would I plug into xoom or the upcoming CC page $620.80 or $628.61? :huh:

My preference would be for PayPal. However....

I think bank accounts in multiple countries would be wise.

If you have a United States bank account, I would be ok with doing an ACH bank transfer to a US bank right before the units are going to ship - i.e. you tell us you're ready to ship and we initiate the transfer, then as soon as you receive our money, you ship. Many US banks offer free ACH transfers, though it does take up to a week for the funds to clear.

I will not pay via bank transfer of any kind until the units are ready to ship.

Just Called open Pandora (www.gp2x.co.uk) and spoke to Debbs. She recommended that i pay via bank transfer. Because i have never done a bank transfer before i was advised to send a cheque which i will send tomorrow. Just in case it hasn't already been posted here this is the confirmed current cost of Pandora and accessories (for UK buyers)

Pandora Unit: £207.99
Spare Battery £4.99
Pandora Case £9.99
TV Out Cable £9.99
Dev Fund Contribution £10

Cheque is to be payable to 'Open Pandora.org' with a note of my original order number

smanky said:
My preference would be for PayPal. However....
I think we would all have preferred for none of these re-ordering and units to start shipping 30th November. I think you got as much chance of using Paypal as I have of finding my Pandora has ben sitting in my mail undetected for the last two and a half weeks. ;)
djmaddis said:
Just Called open Pandora (www.gp2x.co.uk) and spoke to Debbs. She recommended that i pay via bank transfer. Because i have never done a bank transfer before i was advised to send a cheque which i will send tomorrow. Just in case it hasn't already been posted here this is the confirmed current cost of Pandora and accessories (for UK buyers)

Pandora Unit: £207.99
Spare Battery £4.99
Pandora Case £9.99
TV Out Cable £9.99
Dev Fund Contribution £10

Cheque is to be payable to 'Open Pandora.org' with a note of my original order number
Now this is curious, given you are paying by cheque in GBP, how come the price is suddenly £207.99? Where did the £8 come from and why is there no mention of it anywhere else? Chip / craigix please clarify.

If Xoom is a go, you can pay via Paypal through it.

TaG: Maybe that's the shipping cost added to it? Unless it's the second batch price she's mistakenly given.

Xoom looks like a decent deal from the US, even if I think an artificially low exchange rate is a somewhat deceptive way to make a few bucks. Better to charge $5 + x%.

.6404 vs. .6621: xoom is charging about a 2.2% commission on top of the $5 fee (if you take the cash from your checking account). One could do a lot worse.

Pandora + cable + case + battery + dev fund = ca. 243 GBP
At x-rate.com that's USD $368
At xoom, that's USD $380

My bank wants ca. $45 for an international wire transfer. $12 I can do, only too happy not to give more business to my credit card provider and instead to put more of it into the hands of people actually producing something in return.

Looking forward to hearing how Xoom works out on Craig's end.

--Todd

TaG said:
Now this is curious, given you are paying by cheque in GBP, how come the price is suddenly £207.99? Where did the £8 come from and why is there no mention of it anywhere else? Chip / craigix please clarify.
That's definitely the price including shipping - both of my separate (refunded) orders from day one had £7.99 added for postage. :p

If CC ordering is going to incur costs to the company, why not offer Paypal payment once the device can be delivered in an acceptable time frame?
I know people say that bank transfer is alot more common in the EU, but as a british customer, I wouldn't touch bank transfer with a barge pole.

I wouldn't be happy with an additional charge on CC, but I would at least consider it, unlike a bank transfer...
I like the idea, form and functionality of the Pandora, but preordering is about my limit risk wise for this device.

maxSteiner said:
If CC ordering is going to incur costs to the company, why not offer Paypal payment once the device can be delivered in an acceptable time frame?

Because Paypal is not an option.

Chip said:
maxSteiner said:

Because Paypal is not an option.

Why? I thought the position before was that inability to use Paypal was because of the proximity of the preorder to the actual release date. Why is it that PayPal would not be viable if the Pandora crew agreed to allow people that previously ordered to "keep their place in line" and reorder via Paypal within 30 days of whatever your final determined release date is?

Prometheus said:
TaG said:
That's definitely the price including shipping - both of my separate (refunded) orders from day one had £7.99 added for postage. :p

Thanks for clearing that up. I did find it a bit of an odd amount. Sorry for the confusion. I guess it was how it was worded to me over the phone :p

sorry, but now that the pandora site no longer exists. and now i find here your close to demanding bank transfers from those of us who wanted the security of credit cards in these times now screams that this project is a scam. At this point i will not send you one dollar till the credit card order page is up and we have a video of a complete unit.

Um, there are these things called "server outages"... The site doesn't "no longer exist" - it is down. :p Also, you do know that you are free to wait until the credit card ordering page is available, right? Nobody is demanding bank transfers. ;)

Prometheus said:
Um, there are these things called "server outages"... The site doesn't "no longer exist" - it is down. :p Also, you do know that you are free to wait until the credit card ordering page is available, right? Nobody is demanding bank transfers. ;)

i do not know what thread you read but i went through this one and the language here is basically they prefer the bank transfer like one would tell someone they 'prefer' them to do this or that.

Back