Rechargable Batteries?

OmarNawaz

hiya

ive just checked out maplins for rechargable abtteries

i found some 2400mah batteries but they are only 1.2v instead of the standard 1.5v does this matter?

i asked the guy in the shop but he said those were the only ones.

would like a quick reply before the store closes thanks

Omar Nawaz

EDIT: MOVE TO GP2X SECTION MADE A MISTAKE

ALL rechargeable battereies, Nimh/Nicad, are all comprised of 1.2v cells, you won't find 1.5v, so get the ones you want before they close.

EDIT: Slowly learning how to spell again.

reaper79 posted on Dec 30 2005 at 06:21 PM said:
ALL rechargeable battereies, Nimh/Nicad, are all comprised of 1.2v cells, you won't find 1.5v, so get the ones you want before they close.

EDIT: Slowly learning how to spell again.
yeah, lol a friend of mine dumped all his batteries and when I asked him why he said that there were only 1.2v :lol:

@OMars: "Omar, tahki arabi?" WTF

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the help

@Omars sorry dont speak arabic i only speak urdu punjabi and alil malay

reaper79 posted on Dec 30 2005 at 07:58 PM said:
moz posted on Dec 30 2005 at 12:59 PM said:
why 1.2v? always wondered that

Same here, maybe b/c it is a factor of 12 volts? 10 x 1.2 = 12? Got me :huh:
That can't be it. (8 x 1.5 = 12)

I think it just because it more difficult/expensive to make 1.5V nimh or that it just impossible with himh. But i think i have seen nimhs with higher voltage (something like 1.4v)

m8ex posted on Dec 30 2005 at 12:27 PM said:

I think it just because it more difficult/expensive to make 1.5V nimh or that it just impossible with himh. But i think i have seen nimhs with higher voltage (something like 1.4v)

Under load they are 1.2 volts, when charged and no load (ie out on a bench being tested) they will be 1.4 volts.

The voltage is a result of the battery technology, in our case Ni: nickel, and metal hydride.

The differing metals are what cause the electrons to cling to one side of the battery, the negative side, causing voltage, a difference in electron charge between two sides of the battery.

Differing metals produce differing charges, as does the solution or material between them.

The cheapest battery technology is lead acid, known as alkalines, it produces 1.5volts with its chemistry and differing metals.

nubie posted on Dec 30 2005 at 10:06 PM said:
m8ex posted on Dec 30 2005 at 12:27 PM said:

Under load they are 1.2 volts, when charged and no load (ie out on a bench being tested) they will be 1.4 volts.

The voltage is a result of the battery technology, in our case Ni: nickel, and metal hydride.

The differing metals are what cause the electrons to cling to one side of the battery, the negative side, causing voltage, a difference in electron charge between two sides of the battery.

Differing metals produce differing charges, as does the solution or material between them.

The cheapest battery technology is lead acid, known as alkalines, it produces 1.5volts with its chemistry and differing metals.
I know how its work.
But i think i have seen nimh batteries that give 1.4 volt even under load. cost more and are made for things that need more than 1.2v per cell.

Back