Gp2x Doesn't Like Batteries

Anhaedra

My GP2X won't use any batteries except the ones it came with. When I try to use them, sometimes it will work for a while and then the screen will glitch and freeze, or sometimes it will glitch and freeze at the loading screen. It works fine with the batteries it came with. The only difference between the two kinds of batteries I can find is that the ones it came with are 1.5V batteries and the ones that it cannot use are 1.2V batteries. The batteries I have tried are Rayovac rechargable NIMH 1.2V batteries, and Energizer 1.2V NiMH batteries. The GP2X also works with a 3V power adapter from radio shack. Could it be defective?

What is the mAh rating on the rechargeable batteries?

You should really use 2500s ...

the gp2x freezes when battery voltage is low. Alkalines start dropping voltage steadily from when you turn them on, and nimh cells seem to lose it all at once close to the end of their cycle.

my guess is that you're probably using cheap nimh cells which need to be properly conditioned. As is, they don't put out a lot of voltage and don't do it for very long. correct? how is their capacity in other devices? will they drive, say, a toy car for more than 10 min, for example? Have you tried metering their voltage? Do regular alkalines work for you (for a while)?

the answer to conditioning them is cycling them until they get better. I never had the patience, so I just spent the $1 more on decent nimh cells. You could also consider charging them on a better charger--such as a peak charging unit which won't stop charging them until they're discharging at a decent voltage.

The ratings are 2000mah and 2500mah. I just bought them, so maybe their voltage is a bit low... I'll go test it.

rechargeables allways come at low charge, recharge them two times, couse the first charge dosnt get them up fully most of the time.

Okay I measured one of the energizers and it is 1.167 volts, I don't know if that is too low or not, but I put them in the charger.

Ok, I charged the batteries, and it still crashes while playing emulators and displays colored lines at boot... It will sometimes hang at the loading screen... I think it is defective, but has anyone heard of this before?

I recommend panasonic 2600 mhz i bought it along with a panasonic charger for my gp32. I use to have a unniross charger with 2300 mhz batteries but the charger got to hot, so it broke, along with to of the batteries.

Back