Release [Rebirth Comp] Xenoblast (Codename)

Shpuld

Still Fresh
EDIT: Name changed to No Bugs Allowed, I don't update this thread very often, more updates can be found at http://www.moddb.com...no-bugs-allowed

I'm still going to leave the old description in:

I already posted about this in the Rebirth Comp thread, but I thought it would be better to have my own thread for it.

Xenoblast is the codename for my Quake mod (apparently it's already taken for some shmup game, so I need a new one pretty soon...)

One of my goals with this mods is to make it a stand alone total conversion, it will require small engine modifications. I will probably keep the PC and the possible PSP version as mods.

About:

This mod simple, you are a space badass, you know, that guy who is the only one alive after alien invasion, kicking butts 24/7. Anyway, you run around in dark corridors shooting the crap out of countless waves of aliens. Of course, this work doesn't go in vain, in addition to your survival, it provides you with credits! You can spend this hard earned money in the XploTech Weapons Dispenser, as the name implies, it sells weapons but also ammo, health kits and weapon upgrades!

Progress:

I have about half of the weapon models modeled and textured, none of them are animated. One of the planned 3 enemy models is modeled, textured and animated.

Code-wise most of the gameplay code is done. Most of the weapons are in, they are really quick to code, reload, weapon switching, shop and weapon upgrading are all working well. Round system works and enemies are fun to fight (using Quake's fiend models at the moment.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked it in the Rebirth thread, ED gave the green light. I'm making sure it doesn't need any content from full version of Quake.

The biggest problem I can see coming up are the controls.

Currently the controls for the available port of Quake 3 are horrible and for your game to be fun you have to make sure it controls perfectly (nubs just handle vastly different compared to a mouse).

So extensive testing on a real unit is an absolute must.

Apart from that, good luck with the mod, currently it seems rather generic, but I see you are just setting up the basics and I am curious with what you can come up.

How about you call it John Bombem?

Heh, I kinda like that, I have to think about it :)

The biggest problem I can see coming up are the controls.

Currently the controls for the available port of Quake 3 are horrible and for your game to be fun you have to make sure it controls perfectly (nubs just handle vastly different compared to a mouse).

Yes, this is very true, the controls aren't comparable to mouse. I had to take this into account while designing, in Q3A you play DM against other players, or bots, everyone moves fast, you need fast reflexes and sharp controls. However, this mod is very different, player speed is almost halved from Quake's default and enemies aren't very keen to dodge anything. I think I will also add this 'aiming mode' for left bumper, which decreases FOV a bit and slows down sensitivity, making it easier to drop enemies that are quite far (which will be a rare opportunity in the mod).

UPDATE:

I spent more time working on animations, the current view models (weapons on screen) are all animated!

I made a whole new hit effect for the aliens, instead of the traditional red blood seen in last video (it also was PC only feature), I made a HL1 style green blood effect, if you know what I mean. This effect will look the same in DosQuake, GLQuake, DarkPlaces (hi-def engine for x86) and zQuake for Pandora. It's independent from the engine.

I love videos so I made a new one:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/FhEYkap-D9M?feature=oembed

Also if you're wondering why the videos don't have sound, it's because I haven't made any custom sounds, so I rather record them without.

UPDATE:

I spent more time working on animations, the current view models (weapons on screen) are all animated!

Also if you're wondering why the videos don't have sound, it's because I haven't made any custom sounds, so I rather record them without.

This looks really nice. I personally like red blood, especially pouring from the wounds of my enemies. About the sounds in the videos, for comic effect, cant you just "mimick" the shooting and explosions and death cries using your voice when making the videos, that'd be highly entertaining.

This looks really nice. I personally like red blood, especially pouring from the wounds of my enemies. About the sounds in the videos, for comic effect, cant you just "mimick" the shooting and explosions and death cries using your voice when making the videos, that'd be highly entertaining.

The red dripping cool blood effect you saw in the first video is unfortunately a built-in particle effect in the DarkPlaces engine, which would require too much work from me to port it to Pandora, that's why I created my own sprite based effect. I also thought that brownish green would fit better for the color, but it can be changed.

Also, gonna update this thread soon, having some new content on the way.

Wooo, I realize I haven't updated this thread in a long time, so I will do it now.

First of all, the name of the mod has been changed to "No Bugs Allowed", because "Xenoblast" was already in use as I've stated before.

I've just about done with all the gameplay code, most of the models (missing only 1, would take about 1 day to complete it), I have new sounds and I'm working on a map that's something else than gray tiles ;)

Everybody loves pictures (note, some of them are screenshots from the PSP version, Pandora version might look slightly different):

SUPERSOTGAN.JPG

Double barreled shotgun (PSP)

shop.jpg

Shop terminal (PC)

fitz0003.jpg

Shotgun and an alien right in my face (PC)

Good news! I got the UPS email, I can expect my unit on the 26th! This leaves me with almost a week to test and refine the game on Pandora :) . Plus I don't have any school after this week for months.

Also, I've been doing some mapping, check it out:

shot2.jpg

shot3.jpg

shot5.jpg

shot1.jpg

I'm afraid I won't be able to get this working on Pandora today, so no competition entry from me. :(

I still do want to see this on the Pandora eventually, I'll continue working on it.

It already looks good so I'm sure many people would want to see it working on the Pandora. :)

But you should think about making some more Texture Alternations in the Levels. Only one or two Texture for walls, floor, Ceilings is pretty boring imho. ;) You could "break" the walls with more supporting pillars or rock walls with brocken areas or something like this.

Shpuld, you could upload some win/linux version for the testers. The mod looks nice.

We could compare it to the competition entries if you want.

It's just great to create something. The competition is a great opportunity to show your skills and creativity.

It already looks good so I'm sure many people would want to see it working on the Pandora. :)

But you should think about making some more Texture Alternations in the Levels. Only one or two Texture for walls, floor, Ceilings is pretty boring imho. ;) You could "break" the walls with more supporting pillars or rock walls with brocken areas or something like this.

Oh, I've never been a mapper, the map I have is the first real map I've ever made. Thanks for the feedback though!

Shpuld, you could upload some win/linux version for the testers. The mod looks nice.

We could compare it to the competition entries if you want.

It's just great to create something. The competition is a great opportunity to show your skills and creativity.

I'm tying up some loose ends of the PC and PSP versions that I will release pretty soon. I also think that the competition served as a great motivation for me.

To everyone interested, I released a PC and PSP beta today, it's very buggy and lacking some content, check out my moddb for download. As soon as I get the Pandora engine compatible with my mod, I'll release it too.

Still working on it!

I'm very sorry you didn't entered the competition. This game is awesome. I would've certainly (based on your videos) voted for it. Good luck though. Looking forward to it.

Regards!!

Back