GP2X Realtime Videostreaming Via Wifi ?

Usoppe

Still Fresh
Hi volkz,

plz answer me these questions.

1.) Ive heared that you can plug-in a wifi adaptor on the gp2x and run it.
a) Which adaptors work?
b ) How do i get the adaptor run properly?
c) Can someone tell me how long (hours) a set of full charged batteries would work when you use wifi and watch video? An estimation would be useful too. Plz write your accumulator-capacity when answering.

2) Realtime-videostreaming form server (pc) to client (gp2x) via wifi. The Video shall run on the gp2x with less than 0.5sec delay - to understand the problem better, just imagine that both (server and client) run the same video at the same time but the client with maximum delay of 0.5 sec.
- Is this practicable? In other words, can a gp2x can manage this??

Thank you very much for your time

:)

Usoppe said:
Hi volkz,

plz answer me these questions.

1.) Ive heared that you can plug-in a wifi adaptor on the gp2x and run it.
a) Which adaptors work?
b ) How do i get the adaptor run properly?
c) Can someone tell me how long (hours) a set of full charged batteries would work when you use wifi and watch video? An estimation would be useful too. Plz write your accumulator-capacity when answering.

2) Realtime-videostreaming form server (pc) to client (gp2x) via wifi. The Video shall run on the gp2x with less than 0.5sec delay - to understand the problem better, just imagine that both (server and client) run the same video at the same time but the client with maximum delay of 0.5 sec.
- Is this practicable? In other words, can a gp2x can manage this??

Thank you very much for your time

:)
1: Yes, easy way is through a BOB. hard way is modding a usb connection host off the ext port. Only specific one's work, there is a module for specific chipsets. Search the files, I think there was even a kit to help setup the wireless adapter. As for battery life, I think your looking at at least 500 ma additional with an adapter.

2: I have no idea how well it would perform. Your best bet is to just try streaming through the usb netowork. I dont think the network connection is going to be the bottleneck anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt the GP2X will be able to handle it fast enough, but you could try the VNC client.

Be aware that you'll have to compile the driver for the wifi card yourself, so look for one that has a linux driver (not intel/centrino, not ndiswrapper) with source code. You could test it out with the USB networking, all you need is the USB cable that comes with the GP2X. Also be aware that USB networking does not work with the new F200 model.

I'm getting a cradle pretty soon, do you think I could just plug in a usb to ethernet adapter if I want my gp2x plugged into the net at home? Would I still need to install drivers this way? Thanks!

If you used an net-to-usb adapter you would need to compile drivers (so you need to make sure the linux source code driver is available for your adaptor). If you have a model F100, you don't need all that, you can just use the USB networking function.

I ll buy the F200 soon (need the touchscreen).

And as i ve understood all posts right
- I need a BoB and a USB-Ethernet Adaptor to get in my homenet.
- Other way is that i JUST buy a wifi adaptor (no BoB) but need to compile driver myself.

Right now theres no other opportunity to get in the net i think (preferable wifi), arent there?

Blah said:
If you used an net-to-usb adapter you would need to compile drivers (so you need to make sure the linux source code driver is available for your adaptor). If you have a model F100, you don't need all that, you can just use the USB networking function.
Isnt it possible some of the network adapters were already built into the kernel? Ive always been under the impresstion that wired vs. wireless are 2 different animals when it comes to linux. But I could be wrong.

The problem with the USB network adapter is finding one with drivers that will owrk with the kernel you are using. Some of the more modern ones is that they require kernels where the entire USB sub-system was rewritten and the kernel for the GP2X is prior to that (at least the kernel that comes with it, not sure about Open2X)

Blah said:
I doubt the GP2X will be able to handle it fast enough, but you could try the VNC client.

Be aware that you'll have to compile the driver for the wifi card yourself, so look for one that has a linux driver (not intel/centrino, not ndiswrapper) with source code. You could test it out with the USB networking, all you need is the USB cable that comes with the GP2X. Also be aware that USB networking does not work with the new F200 model.
USB NETWORKING DOES NOT WORK WITH F200 ? so I won't be able to build a BoB and plug a wifi usb stick into the hub and get internet? really?

Back