Designing The Gp2x's Successor - Hardware Selection Poll

Select one:

• Option 1: ARM926EJ-S 266 MHz Processor, Floating Point/Vector Coprocessor, 2D/3D Accelerator

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option 2: ARM920T 400 MHz Processor, No FPU/Vector Unit or Graphics Accelerators

• Option 3: These are both inadequate (post alternative)

• Total voters

pupnik said:
Epicenter said:
Probably a lot more than the ARM11.. :) I don't really see a reason for hardware much more powerful than an ARM9 around 300 Mhz for gaming applications, though.
Good ... grief...

The ARM926Ej-S is what i've been porting games to for 6 months now and it's old news. The linux pda it's in (Nokia 770 has been out for years and it's about as fast as the gp2x overall.

You can pick one up for $140 now. Problem is no right hand side buttons and a sucky directional pad for gaming.

This is at 250mhz in the OMAP1710 SOC -- /proc/cpuinfo says 125 bogomips. The successor Nokia 800 which is nearing a year in age has the OMAP2420 yielding about 300 bogomips.

Neither of these has the power to run a straight port of snes9x, or even fceu. And you're takling about the lower-power one as a successor to the gp2x. Bwaahaha.

Emulation is the bread and butter of Gamepark Holdings. Not homebrew 3d, not commercial games. If they bring out a barebones device with an ARM A8 cortex, they can deliver a new class of emulation. If they try to go for a do-everything device, they'll probably get trounced by the successor to the Nokia 880.

The post you quoted was over 9 months old, And as everyone knows, Technology stands still for no one.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is this Pupnik guy? All he does is dig up almost 1 year old threads and then talk about old cell phones that no one cares about. Really irritating :angry:

LOL. Saved me the time of finding this post to put in that other post about a gpx3. I was trying to remember how many other times this topic has been started.

LegendaryMachine said:
I can't believe I just reread this entire thread.
Doh. I have learned to check the dates now :D But occasionally I get caught out :blink:

DaveC said:
Who is this Pupnik guy? All he does is dig up almost 1 year old threads and then talk about old cell phones that no one cares about. Really irritating :angry:
I would have thought you'd be more clued-in to portable linux devices, DaveC. The nokia 770/800 are not cell phones. They're linux-based portables.

If the thread is old, it's because there's no successor to the gp2x yet, and yes, the market has moved on.

I'm posting because i'm a linux / ARM fan who is porting emulators and games right now, to portables containing successor cores to the ARM 920. (1710 and 2420 OMAP),

Dosbox_0_65__001_N770__ultimaV.jpg

That device IS running an ARM926EJ-S and it's *painfully* slow on every emulator I've ported, excepting Frodo.

Furthermore, it's relevant to consider the work that has been done on other linux portables when talking about the gp2x successor. One of the main problems limiting software availability on linux portables is the small developer communities around Maemo, OpenEmbedded, Zaurus and Gp2x operating systems.

This fractured portable linux developer community could benefit tremendously from more OS and hardware convergence. GPH would do well to engage in talks with FIC, Nokia, Sharp and other vendors developing portable linux devices to lower their R&D costs and be able to deliver a cheap competitive product based on common components, yet still differentiated enough to carve out a niche for the portable gamer market.

Nokia offers very attractive and general-purpose linux-based PDA/Internet Tablets (they are *not* phones) right now, and their next-gen Tablet is expected around 2008. Matching an 800x480 display with the OMAP 3420 or 3430 will give it fantastic emulation and 3d gaming capabilities, but all indications are that the case/controller design will be very poor for gaming.

If that turns out to be true, GPH could license the hardware and and put a different case+controller on it, thus cornering the open-source gaming niche, as well as being able to provide universality (WIFI, Websurfing, HD Media encoding/playback, PDA functions), for little-more than the cost of an underperforming single-use in-house design.

Where is epicenter anyway? I tried looking for his homepage for some news on Stargazer (yes, I know its not coming for gp2x) but I could not find any. Does someone have a link?

He's very easy to find since he's into console modding. His website has no information about the game due to the slating he got here :S.

Back