Realtek 8188Ce-Vau 8188Cus 8188Ru 8192Cu

DkSoul

Still Fresh
Hello everyone,

I got one of those tiny usb wireless adapters with a Realtek 8188Cus chipset inside, and ported the kernel module to CAANOO.
In order to get it to work I had to disable the 802.11n capabilities, so the maximum link speed is only 54Mb.
It's available here and it should work with any of the following Realtek chipsets: 8188Ce-Vau, 8188Cus, 8188Ru and 8192Cu.

Enjoy!

thanks, it will be useful for who not have the official dongle ;)

ruffnutts said:
Will it work with Realtek RTL-8188SU chip?
For that chipset try this kernel module: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/57578-driver-for-realtek-wifi-dongle/

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah I think I did - its no probs for me as I use a Buffalo Ultra Compact WLI-UC-GNM Wifi Adapter that works with stock firmware 1.6.0 and above, but I do have a nano dongle with a rtl-8188su chip set..

Luo=-_ said:
Edit: my Edup have 8192CU chipset... I extract the files on apps, start wifi.gpe but, don't work...

Anyone can help me setting it up?? :eek:

Luo=-_
You have to edit the wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf to match your network configuration (see some examples here).
I have been testing the 1.6.1 firmware, and it seems that /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu program unloads the hcd9032.ko modules which disables the wifi adapter.

DkSoul said:
Luo=-_ said:
Edit: my Edup have 8192CU chipset... I extract the files on apps, start wifi.gpe but, don't work...

Anyone can help me setting it up?? :eek:

Luo=-_
You have to edit the wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf to match your network configuration (see some examples here).
I have been testing the 1.6.1 firmware, and it seems that /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu program unloads the hcd9032.ko module which disables the wifi adapter.
For the 1.6.1 firmware you'll need to edit /mnt/ubifs/usr/gp2x/common.ini and add the following to the end of the file:
Code:
[usbhost]
enable = 1

Luo=-_ said:
Hehehe... this configs is like chinese to me... :lol:
I try some of them but, always Caanoo freezes... :p The common.ini is ok but, the configs is wrong to me...i think...

Anyway, thx DKSoul! :)

Luo=-_
Your CAANOO is not frozen, it's waiting for the bash script to finish (the script is trying connect to your router and get an IP address) ;)
What is the encryption type that you have setup on your router? You have some more examples for wpa_supplicant.conf here.

EDIT: The wpa_supplicant.conf included in the package is configured for WPA2-Personal with AES.

Luo=-_ said:
Thx again DK! My router uses WEP encryption.

Luo=-_
For WEP you can try one of the following (taken from here):
Code:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

network={
	ssid="enter_ssid_here"
	key_mgmt=NONE
	wep_key0=ABCDE12345
	wep_tx_keyidx=0
}
Code:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

network={
	ssid="enter_ssid_here"
	key_mgmt=NONE
	wep_key0=ABCDE12345
	wep_tx_keyidx=0
	auth_alg=SHARED
}
Don't forget to change the ssid and wep_key0 with yout network name and password.

PS: WEP is not safe, you should consider using WPA or WPA2

DK! Now it's all ok! :D
My encript is WPA-SPK! Not WEP...

I try this config and works with firmware 1.6.1 and Edup wifi adaptor chipset 8192CU:

network={
ssid="second ssid"
scan_ssid=1
psk="very secret passphrase"
priority=2
}

THANK YOU MAN!!!! I'M VERY HAPPY! :D

Luo=-_

Luo=-_ said:
DK! Now it's all ok! :D
My encript is WPA-SPK! Not WEP...

I try this config and works with firmware 1.6.1 and Edup wifi adaptor chipset 8192CU:

network={
ssid="second ssid"
scan_ssid=1
psk="very secret passphrase"
priority=2
}

THANK YOU MAN!!!! I'M VERY HAPPY! :D

Luo=-_

Glad to hear that!! :D

PS: You can remove the "priority" line (to keep it more simple). It is only used when you have multiple "network" configuration blocks (it's used to define in which order wpa_supplicant tries to connect to each one of those networks).

hehe...ok...I'll gonna take out the priority line... :)

Interesting connection with Links browser but it is clear that the Caanoo need a more advanced browser. I had to save a html link to be able to open some sites. I don't have a spare usb keyboard... :p

Do you recommend any other program or game that uses the online environment?

Thx!

Luo=-_

Luo=-_ said:
hehe...ok...I'll gonna take out the priority line... :)

Interesting connection with Links browser but it is clear that the Caanoo need a more advanced browser. I had to save a html link to be able to open some sites. I don't have a spare usb keyboard... :p

Do you recommend any other program or game that uses the online environment?

Thx!

Luo=-_
Right now, I'm just using the wireless to avoid the USB cable :p
But I'm sure that there are some games that support network play.

ruffnutts said:
I have a spare EDUP nano adapter might try this when I´m back from my holidays ;)
If it has one of the supported chipsets, it should work :)

okay i know absolutley nothing about any of this stuff, but i would like to have wifi on my caanoo, so i can try and figure this out. starting from the begining, what do i do with the downloaded and unzipped file. do i just take the contents of the bin file and put it in the apps section of my caanoo, or do i do something with the src folder?

okay i know absolutley nothing about any of this stuff, but i would like to have wifi on my caanoo, so i can try and figure this out. starting from the begining, what do i do with the downloaded and unzipped file. do i just take the contents of the bin file and put it in the apps section of my caanoo, or do i do something with the src folder?

i am also a little fogy about how to use teh forrumz so i apologizze if i get the reply thigy wrong.

Back