Realmagic Codec With Gpcinema2

g6settings8rk.jpg

This is the last episode of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. Its taken from a 252MB Xvid TV Capture - So original quality isn't that good.

Also did an episode of Family Guy:
familyguysettings2va.jpg

This is from Dvd.

Both of these are using your latest settings you posted.
-
Of Course I haven't tested this on a GP32 cos I haven't got mine yet, But the settings look ok on my computer- Is there much difference when watching them on a GP32?

no, not really, but what the Hell is that?
GPSpot?
did I miss a release of some cool encoding program?
I use Virtual dub, does this actually give you better results than my Virtualdub with the same settings?
could you please send me the install file for that program, I just have to try this
thank you for using my settings and I am glad someone is using tham atleast lol

~Octavious

Oh, Gspot is just a program that tells you about the .AVI file.
It's usefull if you download a film and need to know the codec or other details.
I just used it so you can see the file settings.

I used Virtual Dub to encode the videos.

well, in order to start wrapping up this review, I have decided to take the next step and encode a full movie
before I do , I have to point out that I used the latest file settings, with one exception
This particular file wont play on any gp32
the audio that GPCinema must be divisable by 11 ( 11hz , 22hz, and 44hz )
the only options VD will let me use is 24x24 stero , but it has the exact same out put in size as my audio settings, just it wont run on Hardware
so, I will se finally what size I get for a long movie
If I find a movie the I can encode audio , I still cant test it myself , as I only have a 32 meg card ( ok, everyone laugh at the person writng a compression guide and only has a 32 meg card )
well, heres what we are looking at this fine morning

File length: 1 hour , 35 minutes , 28.45 seconds
Encoding with latest settings
( 3KBs audio , 132bit video , 23.9 frames ( vid default ) 320x240 , constant video bitrate )
Its 16% encoded right now ( I am running it in slow ass compress mode so I can actually use my computer at the same time )
projected file size is curently : 109.83 megs
Holy shit, thats awesome, and that puts my curent rate at 1.156 megs a second, the smallest yet!
this will be exciting
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well, at 50% done, its projected to be 109.71 megs, which is 1.154 megs a second
I dont think we will get below a meg a minute, but we are going to get close
hell, atleast we will be smaller than other settings and have so much better quality
also, please not you have to have my spesified settings for audio, or atleast something divisable by 11 ( 11,22,44 hz ) and, mono is preferable because of the speaker situation
IF you really want stereo , it wont seem right because the GP32 speakers are in the wrong place, but ya cant tell the differance between stereo and mono anyways

~Octavious

'Shaun of the dead'

length= 01:29:52
resolution= 320x200 (cropped from widescreen - should have done 320 x 240 really, d'oh)
bitrate = 126 kb/s
fps = 25.000

Sound
bitrate = 32 kb/s, monophonic CBR , 22050 Hz

Size = 105 MB (or 107,802 KB or 110,389,248 bytes)

Quality is ok, but as I said I cannot test on a GP32- so it's all a bit useless really. <_<

well, first off, I would like to thank you for being the first person to try these settings
Secondly, could you send me that app? It would make stating all my settings much easier
and a few other things....
* if you do a true widescreen movie, encode at 320x160 with no cropping, it will run faster at 150 than a 320x240 one will
* if the movie is allready cropped into a normal " box " type view, ignore the above
* I had 109.7 megs acoding to VD , I had 113 acording to winXP pro , no clue why but its still in aceptable size ( 123 megs and under )
* Quality was great, but I think I will still boost the Bitrate up to 136-148 ( im a video freak )
* thanks again for puting ur results
*ill post the last things when I remember them, until then, I am playing Counter Strike Source, need to take a break lol

until later

~Octavious

so, what are the definite settings for the following files:
1. Music-Videos (up to 5 minutes)
2. Short movies and TV shows (from 5 to 30 minutes)
3. Full length films (above 30 minutes)

well, I am not going through the whole setting list again
but, what do you want 20 or 23.9-30 ( origional source ) frames per second?
20 is smaller than 23.9-30, but choppier obviously
but, seing as how people have been watching sub par movies for 3 years, that is included for referance

OK, audio on all is 24bitx22hz mono
resize to 320x240 for fullscreen, 320x160 for widescreen
set your framerate
now it changes

5 min vids:
resize filter , set size , and percise bicubic ( the first bicubic ) for your setting
Codec settings : variable bitrate by quality - slider to 65

30 minute vids:
resize filter , set size , and percise bilinear for the setting
Codec : constant bitrate , 152 or 156 bit

longer ( up to 98 minutes tested )
Codec : constant bitrate , 140 up to 152

If I forgot anything , read through my reviews
and you should never get above 1.31 megs a minute in the worst case scenario

~Octavious

Never above 1.31 mega a minute?

Well I find that really interesting, since I just tried a 65 second MPG file using all your settings, and leaving the framerate at 23fps, and I got a file which was 5.5 MB in size.

well, I am not going through the whole setting list again
but, what do you want 20 or 23.9-30 ( origional source ) frames per second?
20 is smaller than 23.9-30, but choppier obviously
but, seing as how people have been watching sub par movies for 3 years, that is included for referance

OK, audio on all is 24bitx22hz mono
resize to 320x240 for fullscreen, 320x160 for widescreen
set your framerate
now it changes

5 min vids:
resize filter , set size , and percise bicubic ( the first bicubic ) for your setting
Codec settings : variable bitrate by quality - slider to 65

30 minute vids:
Codec : constant bitrate , 152 or 156 bit

longer ( up to 98 minutes tested )
Codec : constant bitrate , 140 up to 152

If I forgot anything , read through my reviews
and you should never get above 1.31 megs a minute in the worst case scenario

~Octavious

thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
??
please post ur settings, and I will check for ya in a bit
remember, it also helps to have a nice input vid

as for the large file, lets see your settings, and give me a day or 2 , I took the day off work for step throat , I feel like shit

so, If I dont post much, thats why

~Octavious

If you want to get the file I was encoding, you can get it from the following site:

http://www.electricleechproductions.com/AMVs.html

and look for PPG:R (Powerpuff Girls: Reloaded) trailer. It's about halfway down the page.
Note it's the PPG Reloaded trailer, NOT the PPG Revolutions vid which is also available from the same page.

I have previously encoded this using Xvid one pass (using the guide from the entware site) and came out with a file at 1.8MB (15fps).

For the time I tried using Realmagic, here is the settings I used.

resize to 320x240, precise bicubic (A=-0.75)
23 fps (not changed from original file)

Rate Control - Variable bitrate(Quality)
Quality - 65
RMP4 encoding tools - all unchecked
Avi FourCC - DIVX
Advanced encoding parameters :-
Minimum quantizer - 3
Maximum quantizer - 12
Quantization tools - H.263
Maximum keyframe interval - 300

Audio - converted from 48000Hz to 44100Hz, stereo, 16bit
compression - 24x22 mono

Most of these settings you listed on page 1, and I also used the new settings you listed above for <5min videos.

well, I think this is a good example of where I said size sortof goes hand in hand with origional quality
I have never encoded a video that started at WELL over 596 bit rate
I redeuced the Origional file's bitrate to 65% of the origional , and its damn near 600 bits, so I think theres your problem
Hell, I dont have a movie on my computer with that High a bit rate I think, let me check my Black Hawk Down DVD rip....
well, the DVD rip is 1100 bitrate , and the equation Mx.65=596 can be used I think to find starting bitrate
the video Virtual dub file that 65% put out is almost 600 bit, so there's your problem
so, by lowering the variable to 50 or even 40 you get files in the 2's and low 3's , and by using constant bitrate at 256bit , you get in the low 3's
so, you have to remember, your coming from a quality thats roughly a third of today's HDTV bitrate....

~Octavious

Thanks for your help. It's what I thought actually.

I tried lowering the bitrate right down to even 10 and even then got a 2.8MB file. Constant bitrate of 256 gave me 3.1MB and even 128 game 3MB.

So in this case I'll stick with Xvid for high bitrate files.

You know Octavious, you really deserve Guru staus (or at least something very similar) for all your work you do with GP32 video encoding.

So everybody, VOTE 1: OCTAVIOUS FOR GP32 VIDEO GURU :)

well, thank you

Ive found that every codec dosnt output to the exact specified size, and Ive found this one to go to a little extreme every now and then..
If I could Isolate it, I wonder what would happen to file size

~Octavious

Back