Reading Pdfs On The Gp2x

jibegod

Still Fresh
Hopefully there will be support for PDFs either through the included software or a linux port. I have no attempted to read a PDF file on such a small screen before, and I was wondering if anyone has any reservations about this functionality? About 70% of my ebooks are in PDF format, so bad news in this department would be sorely depressing. Also, I think having the option to switch to a vertical view for reading purposes would be essential.

PDF may be possible, but its kinda senseless, they are better readable if you just convert them to a simpler text format like txt/rtf.

Hmm.. well, I guess I should start looking for a good PDF -> text converter.

Just mark evrything in your pdf reader (ctrl+a) copy (ctrl+c) and paste into some Text editor (ctrl+v). :)

By comparison, how well do you think the gp2x would be able to handle a web browser? Assuming someone can get the wireless SD cards working and the proper software is ported, etc.

I think it might have been said (or maybe I'm just imagining things) that the gp2x doesn't run X11 and just uses the framebuffer. So using X11 libs would not be an easy task. As I mentioned in the other thread regarding gentoo portage, it is not just a simple case of compiling for another processor. The code must be manually altered for the different hardware of the gp2x against a pc. Without X11 it might possible to port the underlying libraries from xpdf and program another gui for the gp2x.

theoddbot posted on Sep 25 2005 at 03:58 PM said:
chris_r posted on Sep 26 2005 at 05:12 AM said:
Without X11 it might possible to port the underlying libraries from xpdf and program another gui for the gp2x.

Try this: http://poppler.freedesktop.org/

It shouldn't be too difficult to knock up an image viewer based on this library. I might even give it a shot.

It's based on the xpdf codebase, though, so that means it likely still requires X11 which, by the sound of things, the GP2X doesn't have. I'm sure that can be worked around, but I don't see how you're any further ahead using this rather than xpdf (unless this is faster or better in some way).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravnos posted on Sep 26 2005 at 08:12 AM said:
It's based on the xpdf codebase, though, so that means it likely still requires X11

I figured the idea of it was to separate PDF rendering from X. I'll do some further investigation.

theoddbot posted on Sep 26 2005 at 09:00 AM said:
I figured the idea of it was to separate PDF rendering from X. I'll do some further investigation.

While I was compiling, I found: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/popp...rch/000041.html

"I would like to use poppler on a Embedded Linux device without X, fontconfig and Gtk. Is it possible to use poppler for that purpose?"

"
If you configure with

./configure --disable-cairo-output --disable-gtk-test

and build it, you get a library with basically no dependencies. You'll
wan't to use the SplashOutputDev to render to a splash bitmap for now,
but I'm expecting the cairo backend to be a better alternative, even for
embedded devices. "

So it looks like it should be all good.

theoddbot posted on Sep 25 2005 at 05:13 PM said:
theoddbot posted on Sep 26 2005 at 09:00 AM said:

While I was compiling, I found: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/popp...rch/000041.html

"I would like to use poppler on a Embedded Linux device without X, fontconfig and Gtk. Is it possible to use poppler for that purpose?"

"
If you configure with

./configure --disable-cairo-output --disable-gtk-test

and build it, you get a library with basically no dependencies. You'll
wan't to use the SplashOutputDev to render to a splash bitmap for now,
but I'm expecting the cairo backend to be a better alternative, even for
embedded devices. "

So it looks like it should be all good.

Then go forth, good man, because I too would like a PDF reader for the GP2X myself (even if the font IS going to be unbearably small...) :)

Ok, I've done a bit of hacking on this.

pdfview_01.png

It does depend on fontconfig, but no X stuff, and I'm not using it. The code looks pretty isolated, so I should be able to rip it out >:)

Lots more work to be done, but at least this shows that it's possible.

if we want a webbrowser.. what would be easier? porting a small x server and just run the pda/arm version of mozilla, dillo, links or whatever or porting on of those to get framebuffer working.
im not a coder, but i think x would be easier right? (ok depends on the linux system which is used by the gp2x)
cant wait to see Opie running on it.

Running an x server without a gpu would tike up quite a few cpu cycles. If you really want a web browser it would probably be better to port links to the gp2x and use it in framebuffer mode.

I just noticed that the GPH news update says they have an e-book reader already, wonder if it does PDF, rendering this little project unnecessary. I'll keep playing around anyway.

theoddbot posted on Oct 1 2005 at 04:16 PM said:
I just noticed that the GPH news update says they have an e-book reader already, wonder if it does PDF, rendering this little project unnecessary. I'll keep playing around anyway.

e-books are usally in Rich Text Formate.

Back