Re4

I can't understand how anyone can bear to use a PS2 controller for more than 10 minutes. The two side bits are far to small to fit in anyone but a 3 year-old's hands, the joysticks are in ridiculous positions, the D pad and buttons are useless, it doesn't have proper triggers, and the two bits where the joysticks are dig into your fingers. Plus the joysticks themselves are terrible, they are far too loose, absolutely useless for FPSes. And try playing a fighting game with one, I guarantee you'll have sore hands for a week.
Xbox controllers are the best for FPSes (I actually slightly prefer the big fat one, it feels uncomfortable at first but after a bit of playing it feels fine)
Gamecube controllers are the best for everything else. They aren't great for FPSes because the joysticks click round in eight directions, though I have an unofficial one which doesn't and it's great for FPSes.

what's with everybody dissing the PS2 controllers the are the best better than XBOX and XBOX S, WAY better than the gamecube, maybe not better than the dreamcast, certainly better than SNES and NES, so why is it the worst?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is with the black bars though? Is the cube so weak that they have to cut the resolution in HALF to get a good frame rate? BAH! maybe they will full screen it on the PS2 or Xbox if it is released on it. And don't give me that "they did it for effect" BS. That is what all of the Nintendo fanbois said about fog on the N64, but we really knew the truth.
no, I read somewhere that the games creater wanted the game to ONLY be played in widescreen. If you play it on a 16:9 widescreen TV it will fill it up, if you play it on a standard 3:4 it will have the black bars.. just like if you try to watch a widescreen movie on a 3:4 TV

BTW, i would also like to know how everyone plays their FPS

I play with the left stick as move forward/back and look

and the right stick and strafe and look up/down

and inverted controls

me too.. thats why I didn't like the first metroid prime with all its look on to enemies and hold a button too strafe nonsense. I just couldn't get used to it.

Totally OT but anyone else think that Perfect Dark is the most innovative FPS ever?

I mean:

Location based damage, enemies surrendering and begging for their lives, the ability to shot guns out of peoples hands...the list just goes on

no, I read somewhere that the games creater wanted the game to ONLY be played in widescreen. If you play it on a 16:9 widescreen TV it will fill it up, if you play it on a standard 3:4 it will have the black bars.. just like if you try to watch a widescreen movie on a 3:4 TV

Likely story, and on the N64 fog was always done for effect not to hide weak 3D performance pop-up ;) . Sounds like an excuse to me, since the majority of time these systems are played on 4:3 TVs still.

Actually you would have to scale it up on widescreen TVs because the Gamecube can only do 480p at best, it isn't true widescreen, it is cropped 4:3.

Likely story, and on the N64 fog was always done for effect not to hide weak 3D performance pop-up ;) . Sounds like an excuse to me, since the majority of time these systems are played on 4:3 TVs still.

Actually you would have to scale it up on widescreen TVs because the Gamecube can only do 480p at best, it isn't true widescreen, it is cropped 4:3.

Well dunno about re4 but gamecube can definitly do proper widescreen Both Eternal darkness and Starfox adventures are proper widescreen.

anyway glad RE4 is in widescreen as i play all my games in widescreen mode so at least the characthers won't look overweight ;)

Well, my copy arrived yesterday. Only a couple of hours in but already this is shaping up to be the best in the series by some distance. The first thing you'll notice is the graphics. Technically and stylistically they're easily the equal of any game on any console, including Xbox. Each environment is rich with quality textures and layer upon layer of effects that give the whole game such a creepy atmosphere.

The second thing you'll notice is the enemy AI. Where the zombies in RE have always walked slowly towards the player no matter what the player did, these guys run, duck, dodge and co-operate with each other depending on the situation. Having died a few times round it gave me the opportunity to replay the same levels several times over - each and every time I got a different play experience thanks to the superb AI/scripting. It's probably not on a par with Halo, but it's certainly a huge improvement over any game of this type.

The combat is also much improved. The targeting system is difficult to get used to but it's restrictive enough to create tension yet flexible enough to allow you to shoot the hats off zombies' heads (I'll still call them zombies). When the numbers of zombies becomes too overwhelming (and it will, frequently) you have to drop your combat stance and find an exit route. This is where the action button comes in to play. Case-sensitive, it allows you to break down doors, knock down ladders, jump through windows and probably a whole host of stuff I've yet to see. This actually adds a nother tactical element, although slight, to the combat as you control the flow of the zombies through your environment - lead them to an open area and you'll be able to pick them off one by one, but stay in a confined hallway and your shotgun will be more effective.

There are a few flaws, but most of them stem from the clumsy control system/Gamecube controller. I'll post updates later, but I can safely say this is a game that even non-Res Evil fans should consider picking up.

Back