Re: Minimenu From Xfce Via Icon Tweak

Chaser

I tried out the tweak to create a desktop icon for minimenu and it does as it says, however when you attempt to revert back to XFCE via 'Switch GUI' & it always reboots to minimenu.

If you leave the 'switch GUI' dialog open, then XFCE can be used via the other 'workspace', presumably with reduced resources available? Choosing XFCE or minimenu again from the dialog prompt, produces the following message :

"Logout Error" Dialog box: "FAILED TO RECIEVE A REPLY FROM THE SESSION MANAGER: The name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files" Clicking close then re-launches minimenu again.

Is this the desired behaviour of this tweak, or have I screwed up somewhere?

Thought I'd mention it but it's trivial anyway.

eh?

So if you're running xfce, then run a windowed minimenu on top of it, to get back to xrce.. quit minimenu, dont' try and run _another_ third environment, (a second xfce :)

ie: hit 'select' in minimenu, then pick quit and hit enter. (or hit 'q', which currently is mapped to kill minimenu.)

jeff

Fair enough, I thought I was probably doing something wrong lol. It's just that you switch GUI to minimenu, so I figured you switched back rather than quit it. That explains it and sorry to waste your time. Doh!

Waaait ;)

You said first line that you created a .desktop to run minimenu; in that case, you are not 'switchign to minimenu', you are 'running minimenu on top of xfce'. Swithcing to minimenu using the switch UI function works fine (And also works from minimenu back to xfce; see Select menu in minimenu.)

But if yo run minimenu _on top of_ xfrce, they're _Both_ running, so its just a matter of killing minimenu when you're done :)

But idf you use Switch UI one way, use it the other way too :) ie: Pick one method, and go with it, but don't pick one method one way, then the other method back; thats crossing the streams :)

jeff

skeezix said:
Waaait ;)

You said first line that you created a .desktop to run minimenu; in that case, you are not 'switchign to minimenu', you are 'running minimenu on top of xfce'. Swithcing to minimenu using the switch UI function works fine (And also works from minimenu back to xfce; see Select menu in minimenu.)

But if yo run minimenu _on top of_ xfrce, they're _Both_ running, so its just a matter of killing minimenu when you're done :)

But idf you use Switch UI one way, use it the other way too :) ie: Pick one method, and go with it, but don't pick one method one way, then the other method back; thats crossing the streams :)

jeff

And this is why I called it 'XFCE Minimenu' in my desktop file.

You wouldn't listen to me, would you?! Author knows best huh?!

:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back