Rather Insane Gpsp Resizing Idea...

DanSolo

Still Fresh
Could the GPSP (or any other "wrong resolution" emulator) be made to output via the GP2Xs built in resizing chip that handles the XVids? I guess you'd need to encode the graphics to XVid though, which could slow everything down anyway?
Just my $0.02.

I think he means the 'smooth' scaling vs the 'blocky' scaling. The MP2520F manual seems to indicate some way to use the smooth scaling on RGB surfaces but so far I think we only know how to do it on YUV surfaces (which is what the movie player uses)

Blah posted on Mar 24 2007 at 10:17 PM said:
The scaler chip isn't just for Xvid. Several emulators, including Gpsp, use it for scaling.
OK, so would the gpsp screen look terrible if it was scaled up to full gp2x LCD then? My XVids look fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, you could do that, or the hardware could convert to YUV first etc. the documentation is a bit lacking in this area however.

If you’re looking to use the smooth scalar rather then the coarse scalar we normally use then you will need to look into getting the MF2520’s ISP (Image Signal Processor) to use its built in colour space converter to do real time RGB > YCbCr conversion before calling the smooth scaler.

Then it has to play nicely together with what we currently use (all RGB based remember) and (optionally) be extended to SDL as gpSP uses SDL for the final screen rendering, well it did last time I checked ;).

This is an area that is very scantly documented and may not even be possible (unclear in the documents is an understatement) however it is something both myself and ZodTTD have discussed at length (the smooth scalar would also be of great use for me in ScummVM when I downscale the 640*480 games).

I guess the quick answer there is, yes it may be possible, it is definitely not easy but people are however looking into it.

Back