Raspberry Pi

crow_riot

So i went ahead an ordered a raspberry pi just yesterday. I'll hopefully use it to replace my old xbox 1, where i was using xbmc mainly in the last few years.

I wonder if anyone has some good tips what i could do with it else?

got one, xbmc works smoothly! Just give it a little time to load stuff in the background after booting.

Im slightlu disappointed by lack of wmv / mpeg and rmvb playback but overall its nice little piece of hardware.

Btw.
I managed to build already inside the box and dosbox ex to test rpi compiler.

Wysyłane z mojego SK17i za pomocą Tapatalk 2

Im slightlu disappointed by lack of wmv / mpeg and rmvb playback but overall its nice little piece of hardware. Btw. I managed to build already inside the box and dosbox ex to test rpi compiler. Wysyłane z mojego SK17i za pomocą Tapatalk 2
it support Wmv (some forms at least...) and mpeg2 but you need to buy the license for it unfortunately, it's not free... I hate that...

http://www.raspberrypi.com/mpeg-2-license-key/

http://www.raspberrypi.com/vc-1-license-key/

edit:

I had lot of junk lieing around, including a 19"LCD screen, so I bought a lcd controller from http://stores.ebay.com/njytouch (which by the way are nice and helpful), a 5V and a 12V cheap powersupply from DX and I build this:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've kept an r-pi booted up for xbmc fr a year or more now ... ocne in awhile need to yank the power to reboot it, but in general it'll sit there for months at a time, waiting for playback time.. pretty handy alright!

Get a faster SD card though, so you don't get SD-stutter whenever it wants to fiddle around and store preferences etc.

jeff

@elwing, that's a pretty nice setup you got going on. Way better than my beagleboard sitting in the box it shipped in, which is what I have going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys for the input! i'm really looking forward to get it. i hope i dont get into too much coding on it...

@skeezix - you said you've it always on? and that doesnt hurt it? sounds nice :)

I thought about setting mine up as an SVN or GIT server, and maybe some sort of mini-cloud (not really for mass file storage, more for holding/syncing a calendar and things)

My pi is now in my TV cabinet running Raspbmc (XBMC) always on.

It's also a torrent box with transmission daemon and I'm trying to get some emulators setop to turn it into a retro console too.

I may get a second PI to use as an owncloud server...

Im slightlu disappointed by lack of wmv / mpeg and rmvb playback but overall its nice little piece of hardware. Btw. I managed to build already inside the box and dosbox ex to test rpi compiler. Wysyłane z mojego SK17i za pomocą Tapatalk 2
it support Wmv (some forms at least...) and mpeg2 but you need to buy the license for it unfortunately, it's not free... I hate that...

http://www.raspberrypi.com/mpeg-2-license-key/

http://www.raspberrypi.com/vc-1-license-key/

Do You know how WMV v9 works after purchasing the 1st license and do i get the ability to play MPEG's [like in VCDs] [not MPEG2's]  if i buy the second license?

crow -- yeah, leave it all on the time.. it uses nil power (especially when idle), and it doesn't heat up; I stuck it into an adafruit transparent case, but you could use a little cardboard box just as well :) Or nothing, but I don't like dust on electronics :eek: .. my first one has been on since I got it a year ago or more..

I picked up a couple more and arduinos for various hackings around (but now I'm into pure microcontrollers, who needs premade boards?! :) -- but r-pi is such a great little machine for the value. (There are a lot of machins in this class .. a bunch in the $50 and $60 range, and the sub-$100 range, and so on .. but in the $35 rnage.. its pretty much r-pi)

jeff

So i went ahead an ordered a raspberry pi just yesterday. I'll hopefully use it to replace my old xbox 1, where i was using xbmc mainly in the last few years.

I wonder if anyone has some good tips what i could do with it else?
I did the exact same!

Use openelev... much snappier than Raspbmc.. even without o/c

Do You know how WMV v9 works after purchasing the 1st license and do i get the ability to play MPEG's [like in VCDs] [not MPEG2's]  if i buy the second license?
not sure yet, I just received the key a few hours ago... I need to install them... but I'm afraid I'm not using WMV... not sure where to find the right video to test that...

Faster, more memory, IR receiver and with one SATA - Interface is Cubieboard, around 49€. So i switched from raspberry pi to cubieboard, now my cd rom is working in my music box. Placed into to my hifi rack, with remote control, lcd display, cd rom support, hard disk support over USB and a litte web front end for playing my music.

Thomas

crow -- yeah, leave it all on the time.. it uses nil power (especially when idle), and it doesn't heat up; I stuck it into an adafruit transparent case, but you could use a little cardboard box just as well :) Or nothing, but I don't like dust on electronics :eek: .. my first one has been on since I got it a year ago or

oh thats pretty cool. what os have you running? cause i wonder if it's fine with xbmc, too, to let it run. i'll see :)

it already arrived even if the shop states it's not shipped yet :D so no SD card here yet, but soon.

i also wonder about the codec licenses. but i'll see if i really need them. dont have any blue ray and i dont think any mpeg2 stuff either.

thanks for the input guys.

codev licenses? pfah, I doubt you'll run into any of that; for avi/divx/etc, you'll be playing out of the box in no time :)

Back