Random Crashes

demonblaze

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
My GP2X is a first edition and I've been having problems with it fr a while now. When I upgraded to V2 firmware (currently V2.1.1) I find that when using most programs my machine freezes up randomly and I have to reboot. The only game that hasn't done this is doom <_< . I've tried downloading newer version of the programs but it dosn't seem to help. AlexKidd, Mame, Payback demo all freeze and always at different stages. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I use rechargeable 2600 mah batteries and a powersupply from gp2x.co.uk. I always remove the batteries before I connect the powersupply which is set up like the instructions say. I haven't been able to enjoy my GP2X for a while now :(

My GP2X is a first edition and I've been having problems with it fr a while now. When I upgraded to V2 firmware (currently V2.1.1) I find that when using most programs my machine freezes up randomly and I have to reboot. The only game that hasn't done this is doom <_< . I've tried downloading newer version of the programs but it dosn't seem to help. AlexKidd, Mame, Payback demo all freeze and always at different stages. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I use rechargeable 2600 mah batteries and a powersupply from gp2x.co.uk. I always remove the batteries before I connect the powersupply which is set up like the instructions say. I haven't been able to enjoy my GP2X for a while now :(

I feel for you man, I have the same problem since I upgraded to 2.1.1 and YES I also am stuck with a MK1 model for now <_< try this, after you start an exe, if that prgram is one that usually locks up/freezes the GP2X, press and hold the face buttons/circle the D-pad or even *gasp* press Start+Select repeatedly the moment it happens. Not always guaranteed to work but helps sometimes. Once you are "in" the emulation or program, it seems that it will work.

I think Gamepark holdings should be held accountable for ALL MK1 systems and fucking replace them with MK2s. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I'll give that a try. I know what you mean for holding them accountable but I suppose it's a risk you take when you're an early adopter. It's not as if I'm rough with my machines (my GBA SP (silver one) has been used constantly since the launch day. I'll post a message if I can find a way of fixing this or if your tip works. Thanks again for taking the time to post a reply.

just so you know, I've successfully fixed my "semi bricked" unit for now. Updated back to 2.1.1 as well.
I did a kernel, boot and file debrick and it worked successfully. Also I did it from scratch using the 1.0.1. update files

look here:

http://www.distant-earth.com/gp2x/2005/11/...cked-gp2xs.html

and scroll down about 1/3 of the page to

"The Art of Reflashing"

all you need really is the
boot,
kernel,
and flash files from here.

extract the 3 files and put them on the root of your freshly formated (fat32) card and boot your gp2x with the card inserted.
you should see the black logo folowed by the "firmware updating" screen with the chip.
just take a trip to the mall or something cause this usually takes awhile (at least it did for me) 1-3 hours
tops I'd say.

(make damn sure you have a power supply plugged in) if you can't afford one do an Ebay search for
the liquidated 273-1704 3v Radio Shack Adapter. (not available from Radio Shack anymore) I have two and they work great - best $4.95 I've ever spent.

if all goes well (and it should) you should come back to the orange menu screen with a GP2X running firmware 1.0.1

update to 2.0.0 then to 2.1.1 :)

btw stay FAR AWAY from Emus like the SNES one that has you hold select + start at the same time to exit a rom. I have and my GP2X seems to be fine always now.

I have had trouble with firmware 2.1.1 I think that it may just be unstable and liable to getting currupted. Have you tried reflashing the firmware to 2.0.0

Back