Battery Question

rpetrello

Still Fresh
I've just gotten my new GP2X in the mail and it works very nicely. I stuck in some normal Alkaline batteries and it worked fine, whilst sucking them dry. My problem is this: prior to buying the GP2X, I purchased 4 rechargeable batteries. They are NiMH AA's. They fit a little tight inside the battery compartment, but won't turn on. I have two questions that I may be causing this problem:

1. I'm charging the batteries with a Duracell charger. This charger is used to recharge some other NiMH AA's that I own and works fine for those. Are these battery chargers not interchangeable? I plug the batteries in for an hour, and the indicator lights says that the batteries are charged. I then pop them into the GP2X, and get no results.

2. I've looked harder at the rechargeables and while they're rated at 2900 mAH, they also only output 1.2 volts each. I've noticed that the standard Alkaline double A's output 1.5 volts. Could this be my power problem? Anybody have an idea as to what the voltage requirement is to power the GP2X?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated - thanks again ahead of time :)!

Also - I've just plugged these batteries into a remote and tested it, and they don't seem to work, so either they don't work correctly, or they're not charging. Before I purchase a separate charger just for the, however, does anybody have any clue if 1.2 volts per battery is enough to power the GP2X? Any help is very much appreciated!

ok to start off I have 8 x 2800 mah and a 2 hour charger (which all work fine), the batterie voltage is only 1.2v (which works fine). It sound like you have either brought some duff batteries (because they wont work in the remote either) or your charger is not likeing the batteries at all. I'd advise you buy a charger and some more batteries because theres a good chance that you have naffed those batteries anyway. The first charge is the most important (it basicly determines how much power capasity your battery has).
Send them back maybe but definately get a new charger and new batteries (this will solve your problem - I promise). The main thing is gp2x is fine

Rechargables always have a voltage of 1.2V, that's perfectly normal.
I also assume the batteries or charger might be dodgy, as they won't work in your remote either.

if batterys dont work in a remote anymore it means that they are deader than dead, normaly a remote eats next to evrything.

Vimacs posted on May 28 2006 at 11:28 AM said:
if batterys dont work in a remote anymore it means that they are deader than dead, normaly a remote eats next to evrything.
surely, you mean "Next to nothing", do you? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
next to evrything=next to evrything that spits out power, from a potatoe to a human. :)
as in requireing next to nothing, so beeing able to use next to evrything.

It may not be the same problem, but with my MK2 I received on tuesday and my (rather odd) tecxus 2700mAh batteries I had exactly the same problem.
That is, until I realised that the "tap" on top of the battery was smaller than on other batteries..This means that it doesn't make contact..
A couple of pieces of silver foil and it worked like a charm..
If you don't want to do that, try it with some standard cheap non-rechargeables, just to see if it turns on with them.

Horscht posted on May 28 2006 at 01:35 PM said:
I........ can't follow you :huh: :blink:
doh, hes right ur wrong!
he means, that a remote will take any kind of batteries.

simple right ;) :p

While were on this can i use the energizer lithium aa batteries? i know they dont recharge but i was just wondering. btw just sold my gp2x on ebay to but the new mk2 one, got even more for what i paided for it, lol
couldnt return it cuz i got it from lik-sang. but it worked out and bought it from gp32z.com
:rolleyes:

Yes you can use lithiums; you can use them in any device that calls for batteries. They'll probably last longer for their one use, but it is still much better to use NiMh rechargables.

Vimacs posted on May 28 2006 at 11:45 AM said:
next to evrything=next to evrything that spits out power, from a potatoe to a human. :)

Personally, I think you should be strapped upto a stake and whipped until you learn to read your posts before hitting the "add reply" button - if they are not full of typos, they are full of the type of spelling errors that make me come out in a fit of rage and want to punch my monitor :p

My monitor was expensive, and I don't want to punch it :p

So there :p

:eek:

"This is the kind of errant pedantry up with which I shall not put!"
- moron Churchill.

The quote has many variations, because Churchill might have said "bloody nonesense" instead of "errant pedantry" originally.

I blame my mum for knowing about that quote ;)

Squidge posted on May 29 2006 at 12:13 AM said:
Vimacs posted on May 28 2006 at 11:45 AM said:

Personally, I think you should be strapped upto a stake and whipped until you learn to read your posts before hitting the "add reply" button - if they are not full of typos, they are full of the type of spelling errors that make me come out in a fit of rage and want to punch my monitor :p

My monitor was expensive, and I don't want to punch it :p

So there :p

:eek:
Well, as long as you dont want to punch me im ok with that :)

Sorry, for my spelling, i try my best to avoid spelling mistakes, but often i just post in a rush and it ends up in a mess.

Back