Railroad Rampage Version 1.1

Imerion

Version 1.1 of Railroad Rampage is here!
Changelist is as follows :

• Lots of balance fixes.
  • Many speed improvements for the Wiz version.
  • Income now changes depending on difficulty-level.
  • Some new and improved graphics here and there.
  • One new upgrade.
  • A pause function.
  • A few smaller bug fixes and enhancements.

Railroad Rampage is a cross between an arcade game and a strategy game. It is similiar in construction to many "Tower Defence" games, but it has a twist : here, you are part of the action and can affect the game in many different ways more than just building structures. Bandits are trying to rob your train and steal all precious cargo! Thankfully, you are a skilled engineer who can construct many different kinds of turrets and use them to defend your train. You have to make it through 20 waves of relentless enemy assault before you reach your destination, so plan ahead and devise a smart strategy and you may survive!

Railroad Rampage came first in the GP32Spain "Tower Defense" coding competition.

You can download the game here : Railroad Rampage

94c9a89f97.gif

Thank you very much, i love this game, is a must play game :)

I hope the sound level of fx sound can be vol-

Thanks Rivroner!

The sound issue will be fixed in the next version. I think I know how to make it work now.

I am currently working on version 1.2 of this game. All things I have seen mentioned have been fixed along with loads of other new stuff.
However, if anyone has any more suggestions for things to change/add, especially balance changes, please post them here.

Perhaps my Wiz Touch Screen just stinks but I thought this game looked very interesting the first time I tried to play it but found it unplayable due to the poor touch screen. Even after calibrating my touch screen in the Wiz settings it was still way off. I don't think it's the games fault but it does bother me that I can't play it, will you be implementing any kind of alternative control scheme that doesn't require the touch screen? or do you think it would make the game to difficult to handle without?

The game did turn out a bit small on the Wiz screen, making it a bit tricky to play. But I did implement some key shortcuts that help out. You can press LEFT, RIGHT or UP (or A, X, B if you're left-handed) to open the menu och that side. You can also use L or R to deselect. Hope this helps. I don't really have any idea for an alternative control scheme. Perhaps moving the cursor with the keys would work, but that would be hard to play as well.

However, the new version will run much smoother and won't slow down, so perhaps that will help making it easier to play as well.

Fair enough. As for an alternate control scheme I agree that moving the cursor with the d-pad would be far to clunky to play but what do you think about this. On the main action screen have one of the areas or cannons highlighted so you can move threw each selection using the d-pad and press one button to fire, one to change the cannon direction, one to place a new cannon and so forth. Maybe use L and R to cycle threw all the side bar menus and again have one section highlighted so you can scroll through each menu and press a button to select that item or upgrade and when you return to the action screen that item will be already be selected and you can just highlight the area you want to place it and press the button.

Does that make sense? Idk, I'm just thinking out loud really. I'm not a dev so I have no clue how hard it would be to implement something like this, so if everyone is happy with the touch controls I don't expect you to go nuts implementing new controls just for me but yeah, those are my thoughts, just thought I'd share.

Congrats for winning the competition by the way, a hardy kudos to you for your hard work.

Imerion said:
I am currently working on version 1.2 of this game. All things I have seen mentioned have been fixed along with loads of other new stuff.
However, if anyone has any more suggestions for things to change/add, especially balance changes, please post them here.

Thank you very much for the future 1.2 release :)

I have no problems with the touchscreen.

I recomend everybody to calibrate the touchscreen just before launching the game.It works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough. As for an alternate control scheme I agree that moving the cursor with the d-pad would be far to clunky to play but what do you think about this. On the main action screen have one of the areas or cannons highlighted so you can move threw each selection using the d-pad and press one button to fire, one to change the cannon direction, one to place a new cannon and so forth. Maybe use L and R to cycle threw all the side bar menus and again have one section highlighted so you can scroll through each menu and press a button to select that item or upgrade and when you return to the action screen that item will be already be selected and you can just highlight the area you want to place it and press the button.

Does that make sense? Idk, I'm just thinking out loud really. I'm not a dev so I have no clue how hard it would be to implement something like this, so if everyone is happy with the touch controls I don't expect you to go nuts implementing new controls just for me but yeah, those are my thoughts, just thought I'd share.

Yes, that is a good idea. I was thinking of something along those lines. It would probably work great, but it would take a lot of extra work to add. I will not do it for the 1.2 version. But I was thinking loosely on porting the game to Dreamcast at some point, which would require something like that. If I do, I will add that type of controls to the Wiz version as an option. But I am not at all sure if there will be a DC version since I have three other projects I am working on for the moment.

Congrats for winning the competition by the way, a hardy kudos to you for your hard work.

Thanks!

Back