Release Race! A Neo Geo Pocket Color Emulator

God Ginrai said:
SomeGuy99 said:
I could live without the 'Sega!' clip personally, even though it does bring back childhood memories.

Are you planning on lifting the interface from Race PSP? It's rather nice IMO. It would be extra cool if the battery/time/date readouts were Pandora specific too.

I'm pretty sure that fixing the Sega clip will work towards fixing the sound. It's not like he's HLEing the Sega clip.

-God Ginrai

Just saying! I was reminded reminded of emulators which don't emulate all the sound chips and/or functions of their target machine. For example, Master System emulators that can't do the 'Sega' soundclip. PSG or something?

I don't know much about the NGPC internals, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I threw up a new beta with the sega sound botched, if anybody noticed any other sound bug or bugs in general, please post here so I can look into it :)

A bit thanks to Akop from the PSP scene as I used some of his code!

A quick list of what's new:

-Sound changed to 44100, tell me if this is better and mention any bugs that it may have caused...

-Zip support for roms

-save/load states are in but it's using just one save state file for all games (test.sav) I'll be fixing this up over the next few days ;)

HackModford: I'm thinking I might know what's causing the slight sound weirdness you mentioned, but I'm unsure how I'll fix it, but I'll keep looking into it!

I also uploaded a new version to pandora apps, I don't think it's been approved yet, but atleast I've done my part ;)

Hooka said:
Ok, I threw up a new beta with the sega sound botched, if anybody noticed any other sound bug or bugs in general, please post here so I can look into it :)

A bit thanks to Akop from the PSP scene as I used some of his code!

A quick list of what's new:

-Sound changed to 44100, tell me if this is better and mention any bugs that it may have caused...

-Zip support for roms

-save/load states are in but it's using just one save state file for all games (test.sav) I'll be fixing this up over the next few days ;)

HackModford: I'm thinking I might know what's causing the slight sound weirdness you mentioned, but I'm unsure how I'll fix it, but I'll keep looking into it!

I also uploaded a new version to pandora apps, I don't think it's been approved yet, but atleast I've done my part ;)

Hi again, thanks for the update!

A couple of things, firstly thanks for the little touches (icon, preview pic) make it nicer and easier to select on minimenu, and also zip support, always appreciated!
Sound - unless i had both versions running side by side i couldnt really tell that much, apart from the Sega on Sonic is now mucked up!
Looking forward to proper save state support, hopefully you can get it working for the next release.

Lastly though, i noticed one thing...analogue control is mucked up in this release...dont know if you changed anything, but Sonic doesnt hardly move, and motm fighters sort of skip a few frames when you move them in a direction...d-pad is working as normal though!

My wants if possible;
Different scaling models, also fullscreen mode, with and without filters.
Back to menu from game (with options in menu for screen size, save state, sound etc)

Keep up the good work :)

Last edited by a moderator:
jaycee900: Thanks for the heads up I'll give the nub stuff a look before releasing the savestate fix. I'm not sure how much of your list I'll be knocking off, as I have some other projects (some original games I designed, a remake of a friends boardgame for Wiz, PC and possibly some other platforms and a few other ports I'm working on too) that need some loving too. I'll definitely keep an eye on this forum post for your guys input and when I find spare time I'll keep working on stuff, but given that I'm just out of school and practically starving (no job and no income atm) I might have to focus a bit more on projects that might be able to bring me some form of income... GPL code can't do that for me, where as my original game ideas might...

What I do FOR SURE intend to fix up is the sound problems that have surfaced, savestates and any bugs that creep in (like the nub problems). I hope that this will leave you guys with a fair understanding of my situation and position on these things ;) I want to be an indie game designer first and foremost, while ports are fun and help me improve my coding skills in a limited sense, I really would prefer to be writing original designs and code, working towards my goals. Not meaning I won't port and work on my existing ports, I just might take a bit longer to do them and might give preference to working on mine ;)

The good news in all of this is, I release source!!! So if someone is so inclined to take a look at the source and fix up my mistakes and add in new features or other things that they would like, they can at any time given that they have some experience or are willing to just keep trying until they figure it out :)

The current one doesn't work for me: 'unary operator expected'.

Ah. It didn't like being named something different. Chrome gave it a number at the end, because I already had a version in my download folder.

The sound seems right now. Thanks! Some of the intstruments seem a bit off, I think some are even missing, but the frequency is in the right ballpark now. The timing of the music seems really random now though.

Thanks for working on this by the way B)

Just another small beta test for those who are so inclined, haven't completely fixed up the sound yet, but I'm hoping this helps with the music and sfx timing... please give me any feedback you can on this so I can know if I'm atleast on the right track. The emulation might be a bit slower in this one (please let me know what you feel)

As always, here!

I'll be looking into fixing up the sound and trying to get a little more speed out of it in the next few days, but at the start of July I'm gonna be gone for about a week or so...

*please note this version is once again without save states, and possibly zip support, I'm going to add those back in for the next beta, sorry about that!*

I'm looking into the audio problems, and for now I'm going to switch back to 8000kHz, as that is what the neo geo pocket color DAC runs at and is the only way (with the current code) to get proper output! The reason it sounds a bit muffled is because SDL doesn't handle non-power of two audio conversions very well and our Pandora is 44100kHz... I'm going to look into it a bit more, and it was tagged as a bug in SDL awhile back, so maybe when we get a newer version of SDL it will be fixed, but on the off chance we never get it I'll look into how I can possibly upsample it myself later ;)

I'm not gonna lie, I've been negligent of my projects for quite awhile now, but I sent my Pandora back for repairs lately. When I get it back I'll definitely give RACE! another look, but I've been spending considerably more time on writing out my own designs and doing research for implementation ;) I may not be the world best coder/game designer, hell I may not even be fifth best, but I'm a game designer dammit... emulation is cool, but lacks the creative side I crave ;)

Back