R Gampark Holding Serious About The Gp2x

- Looks bad
- If only two are necessary, they'll only require two
- Adds weight/volume/manufacturing costs
- Waste

Axe Murderer, I have to say that's an abominable idea. What is to prevent someone from just carrying spare batteries in their pockets? Why do they need a superfluous hardware modification to hold them? And really, isn't six hours none too shabby for rechargables?

i think thats the crap i was confusidly trying to explain earlier, makes soldering to PCBs annoying thats for sure have to scrape all that crap off including the green stuff on the trace

The weight two extra batteries add to the handheld may not seem like much, but it is weight that you will have to hold up while you are gaming, rather than just keep in your pocket.
On top of that, if you have to put 4 batteries in, then you'd need 8 batteries if you want to keep playing while the first set is charging... That's a lot of batteries. And since you'll want to fully discharge the batteries before recharging them (I believe someone said NiMH batteries do have the memory effect?) you'll still want to carry extras around for when those 4 batteries finally do run out... 4 batteries in your pocket are worse than 2.

I shall be doing tests at various Mhz speeds, right upto 266mhz with 2600mah batteries. The results should be ready soon.

The parallel configuration would still enable you to run the device on only two batteries if you wanted to, simply by leaving the appropriate two spaces blank. The voltage would be the same, the only difference would be in the available capacity.

Judging from the shape and dimensions of my GP32BLU, I wouldn't imagine that GPH would have much trouble inserting an extra two battery spaces without having to increase the volume of the device by any noteworthy degree, so it needn't look bad or cost more to manufacture.

I take the point about the extra weight, though. I guess that holding an extra two batteries-worth could become a bit of a drag over an extended period of time depending upon what position the device was being held in and whether or not it was being rested upon something. However, this would by no means be mandatory as aforementioned, whereas the option to be able to easily double the capacity could turn out to be handy when running applications that involve significant overclocking. ;)

I don't know about anyone else, but my GP32 always seems to run out of juice at the most inopportune times! :lol:

i think thats the crap i was confusidly trying to explain earlier, makes soldering to PCBs annoying thats for sure have to scrape all that crap off including the green stuff on the trace

Yeah thats the stuff. In the future, you can use acetone (nail polish remover) and a q-tip to clean the areas you want to solder. And in case anyone decides to use acetone to clean their battery contacts, BE CAREFUL! because acetone will disolve the plastic case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back