Inproving The Gp2x.

Cyclops posted on Dec 26 2005 at 09:04 PM said:
LOL seriously its not that tricky, about 5 Lines of code should cover it(with comments).

Then fix it already!

Last edited by a moderator:
RiX0R posted on Dec 27 2005 at 10:41 PM said:
Cyclops posted on Dec 26 2005 at 09:04 PM said:
LOL seriously its not that tricky, about 5 Lines of code should cover it(with comments).

Then fix it already!

full quote :)

LOL seriously its not that tricky, about 5 Lines of code should cover it(with comments). Now choosing a sensible format, and setting up the files to be accessed over the web would be tricky, as http://www.gp2x.de is the main point of call for all of us. I suspect that would be cfiles would be a major problem as its not really designed for that sort of thing.

Cyclops posted on Dec 28 2005 at 12:14 AM said:

I know the full quote. But seriously, what are you waiting for?

Create a working draft, set up a repository format, then ask EvilDragon nicely if he'll integrate it into the File Archive.

Failing that, set up a separate repository server that maintains the metadata, but links to the archive for the binaries.

You know. Get the ball rolling...

really tell me why not? I'm sat here on a computer that updates the source of many commecial games and rips the copyright files, but then I use linux.
eh ? you rip commercial oldies games with apt-get?

linux updating himself is legal, ripping commercial files is less, especially when you don't own the game :p so normally you would have to get and install some files anyway, like emulator bioses and roms, abandonware's original files etc then you will have to download/unzip/copy/etc like you said ;)

or how do you want to deal with emulators and interpretors?

for homebrews and utilities sure it may work like linux, except that you can't update the system the same way, only the programs on the SD

Cyclops posted on Dec 26 2005 at 10:24 PM said:
how many examples do you want??

one good one,

you want a package managment because drmd wants a /roms/megadrive folder and nothing else? :huh: or because peoples don't read the readme? :huh:

it's a boring issue of drmd to me, and should be fixed in drmd :D
and the readme issue should be fixed in the next release of gp2x users :p
i understand you wanting an automated update to not download manually one little gpe, but your examples keep me wondering what's the point :huh:

RiX0R posted on Dec 28 2005 at 01:34 AM said:
Cyclops posted on Dec 28 2005 at 12:14 AM said:

I know the full quote. But seriously, what are you waiting for?

Create a working draft, set up a repository format, then ask EvilDragon nicely if he'll integrate it into the File Archive.

Failing that, set up a separate repository server that maintains the metadata, but links to the archive for the binaries.

You know. Get the ball rolling...
I'm back from my girfriends friday. Although I suspect If I do it I need to think to ignore EvilDragon, becuase I have no control over other people. Hence the discussion. I've thought about it for days, Its easy on linux becuase you can bash out some bash scripts, and it becomes a convenience tool. Although my concern is unless a common format is avilable to begin with as pointed out RAR(being propriatry),ZIP,tar.gz and I would suggest BZIP2 thats looking messy. The other think that I keep thinking about is the internet-->PC-->GP2X. I can setup a hotplug script(I should have done this anyway) and everything is trouble free. I've no access to windowsXp machine at all, and am not sure how that works.

nik166 posted on Dec 28 2005 at 10:07 AM said:
eh ? you rip commercial oldies games with apt-get?
no I use emerge and yes I get an Insert-CD if needed :)

linux updating himself is legal, ripping commercial files is less, especially when you don't own the game :p so normally you would have to get and install some files anyway, like emulator bioses and roms, abandonware's original files etc then you will have to download/unzip/copy/etc like you said ;)

or how do you want to deal with emulators and interpretors?
Its something thats confused me for sometime, and I know others have mentioned this its in the new user guide(Sorry I like that). You are talking about stuff thats shady, the reality for commercial games. I have them, and some are still available. Its the wrong place to discuss legalities, but I do think proper access to legal sources should be available, this includes Music/Video/Free Alternatives to Commercial Data(Freedoom, Open Quartz etc), BASS etc, and PD Bios, Roms etc becuase there is a rediculus about of quality free stuff you don't have to steal.

for homebrews and utilities sure it may work like linux, except that you can't update the system the same way, only the programs on the SD
why not, in fact why not have linux sat on the card, as least as far as linux is concerned

one good one,
I have 15 games, 2 interpretors, 1 emulator, 5 visual novel, and 4 ports. How long will it take to find update all of these manualy vs automated. I would suggest 3 hours vs 15 minutes and reqiures no interaction.

you want a package managment because drmd wants a /roms/megadrive folder and nothing else? :huh: or because peoples don't read the readme? :huh:
Only someone really arrogant would ask that question, ease for use for those competant, and guiding hand for those not. Only one kind of person would mention a readme file.

it's a boring issue of drmd to me, and should be fixed in drmd :D
and the readme issue should be fixed in the next release of gp2x users :p
i understand you wanting an automated update to not download manually one little gpe, but your examples keep me wondering what's the point :huh:
The standard that everyone has got right is the roms/emulated machine the only think I don't like is the drmd directory in root, rather than say saves/emulated machine. In reality if the satndard(the mythical one) then all games should perhaps go in /games movies in /Movies etc becuase its easy.

Sorry for spell/gramm I'm half out the door and half in back Friday :)

A packaging system will be impossible until the GP2X is no longer treated like a storage class device with only SD access. In order for it to have an update function, it needs a connection to the internet, which isn't too feasible without a client on both sides. It isn't that kind of device.

I'd think that the best kind of packaging system if implemented would be ipkg. Simply run "ipkg update" and all packages are updated, which does magic on iPAQ devices. ipkg install xxx usually gets program xxx installed quite nicely too. Yet its small enough to get the job done.

You have to remember though.... theres limited memory on the device itself, and certain packages would have to go on SD, others on NAND. This makes things difficult, because dependencies may be placed on an SD card that a program on a different SD card needs. Package management therefore cannot be done on removable media, and would only prove beneficial for the core Linux components.

Why not just install the dependencies on all SD cards? Because that can lead to version conflicts. One SD card may provide one version, another, an earlier version. This will only make using the device more of a headache.

The storage profile used by the GP2X isn't too bad either.... you can genreally put programs where you want them to be, and when you remove an SD card, the device returns (pretty much) to its factory state, therefore it never gets too cluttered. Its really idiotic to put things other than libraries (/themes ^__^) on NAND... its a valuable space that the device has for itself. Lets leave it that way.

Back