Quick Question How Do I Quit Out Of Games

delaneyblues

Still Fresh
just got my gp2x and gone to play some games but i cant quit out of the games and have to keep switching it off

any ideas????

There should be a quit option specific to the program. Read its readme file .. or pay closer attention to what's onscreen. There is no standard between programs.

Usually, any of the following keycombinations should work:

START + SELECT
L + R
L + R + SELECT
L + R + START
L + STICK
SELECT (hold X seconds)

Otherwise, read the readme files. Actually, ALWAYS read the readme files!

Actually the standard "L + R + START" is what GP2X Standards is trying to promote.

I've been reading a book called 'The design of everyday things' which is quite interesting. The author points out that well designed things should be simple to use and require no instructions. Their operation should obvious by design.

I was looking at the GP2X keeping the book in mind (even though it's not an 'everyday' thing, the author does mention increasingly sophisticated electronic devices). The lack of logical standards from the word go is really the fault of GPH. For example, there is a START button,which isn't even used to start things, from the built in APPs it usually STOPs things. The layout of the buttons. The most used one to activate things is labeled 'B'. Why? You'd think it should be 'A'.

Standards and user interfaces are a very important aspect of any thing people use; the ease of use and consistency of approach can determine the success or failure of an item.

So then, 'L + R + START' to exit a program? It's not very intuitive; it's something that we've learned. It was a pseudo standard from the GP32 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
So then, 'L + R + START' to exit a program? It's not very intuitive; it's something that we've learned. It was a pseudo standard from the GP32 days.
The 3 button combo was the only way to allow all the emulators etc. to use the same keys for exiting.

All the emulated systems have their own standards, which meant that we had to try & come up with a completely different combination of buttons, that could work with all of systems without interfering with normal usage and that wouldn't be hit by accident all the time.

Actually the standard "L + R + START" is what GP2X Standards is trying to promote.

I've been reading a book called 'The design of everyday things' which is quite interesting. The author points out that well designed things should be simple to use and require no instructions. Their operation should obvious by design.

I was looking at the GP2X keeping the book in mind (even though it's not an 'everyday' thing, the author does mention increasingly sophisticated electronic devices). The lack of logical standards from the word go is really the fault of GPH. For example, there is a START button,which isn't even used to start things, from the built in APPs it usually STOPs things. The layout of the buttons. The most used one to activate things is labeled 'B'. Why? You'd think it should be 'A'.

Standards and user interfaces are a very important aspect of any thing people use; the ease of use and consistency of approach can determine the success or failure of an item.

I press start, then go to the menu then quit ;)

button mashing is my favorite.

as far as having a dedicated exit button...nah. at least not for me. you spend 99% of your time using your apps, and 1% closing them. better to save the buttons for stuff that's needed. usually exits for desktop software is some string of buttons or chord anyway. it's dangerous to have a button that quits and destroys your work, just waiting there to be accidentally pressed...

I think there was a daemon program you could install that would exit out to the main menu (or possibly do other stuff) when you hit a predefined button combo.

Back