Quick question about Network connection

NESnero

Just curious, I'm currently in Uni and many courses require me to connect to the University Network to access different drives stored on the network for different courses. I've never used Linux THAT much, except for maybe a bit of fiddling with Ubuntu, just wondering if it will be as simple as connecting to the Wi-Fi or will there be some other trickery?

I know connecting to the Wi-Fi will be easy as punch, but viewing the network drives and such might be another matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Short answer. Yes.

Long answer. Unfortunately, the default file manager does not natively support network file shares.

I don't mean to make this all sound frightening. In reality it is all actually pretty easy to do. Just not the "Windows Way."

Setting up your remote network shares will take a small amount of legwork, and I do believe it will require making some changes to the base OS. There is an application pre-installed called Gigolo that is supposed to manage network shares. It does not work as of the latest hotfix, but there is a bug report filed for it already. You should be able to install the missing packages to get it working. Someone else may have found an easier solution. I am not a Windows user and I do know that if you follow the steps in the bug report:

Code:
sudo opkg update

sudo opkg install gvfsd-sftp sshfs-fuse

sudo mousepad /etc/modutils/fuse

type "fuse" save and quit

sudo update-modules

Gigolo works for my purposes. You might also need to install the Community Codec pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gigolo works for my purposes. You might also need to install the Community Codec pack.
Yes do this,

As mindlord says its just different to the windows way,

if you use the same drives alot id write mount unmount scripts for them and then you would be able to mount them when you need them and use the built in file manager to access what you need.

E.g I have a script to mount my NAS drives. So when im at home on my wifi I hit the shortcut and then my NAS drives are mounted to /media/NAS and /media/NAS2 right next to my cards,

Back