Quick question about image quality and fps

TigerClaw

Still Fresh
Hi,

what do you think about divx (or xvid, mpeg) movies on Gp32?
They can be see well on the little screen?
I have read in other posts that divx are limited at 18 fps for power reason but normally you need 25 fps to enjoy a movies.

Divx is great on the GP32. I too was skeptical about watching movies at this low of a frameskil (at the time it was 10) but when I tried it, it looked perfect. GPcinema runs at 15 FPS (at 133mhz) which may sound really awful but the lcd screen somehow blends the frames or something making it look really smooth. You have to keep in mind that the GP32 screen is a lot bigger than the GBA screen, and its even bigger than the GBA SP screen. The GP32 Screen is very big and really nice for watching movies and episodes.

I can answer that one for you. Just purchased GP Cinema last night and I'm well pleased. My GP32 clocks at 150Mhz fine and this looks pucker frame rate wise.

After reading some guides here I encoded some anime (X - the series) using VirtualDub, the first attempts worked great and I was on the bus watching them this morning.

The only downfall of it is squeezing video onto a 128Mb card isn't ideal. You can compress a whole movie to fit but the quality won't be perfect, you could always split it into 2 smcs worth I guess...

But if you like anime like me.... it works brilliantly + subtitles too

frolik.

PS. I'm only encoding unlicenced (legal) anime downloaded on bittorrent. Next up; naruto & last exile - anyone interested PM me

You can't beat watching the simpsons on your gp32 :D
I've managed to fit 8 episodes on a 128mb smc, I could prob fit more at less quality but i like it how i got it B)
Animations look great at 15fps.

between 18 and 20 megs. thats at gud quality. iv never bothered trying to put cartoons at a higher fps, i just asumed that the size would b larger. what do u get?

I've been using xvid on 1 pass (can't really do 2-pass as I compress it as I capture it from the tv!) at 40.
Are you sure you are not losing frames while you are realtime capturing AND compressing, Could be the reason you`re getting such a small file size after compression.

Just a thought. :huh: :rolleyes:

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Back