Looking to buy a Pandora

Kingdingus

Still Fresh
Hello all, I have been looking to buy a 1ghz pandora and I just had a few questions.  Is the battery and a charger included in the 589$ package? 

Alright awesome, are there any good Dreamcast and Sega Saturn emulators available for the pandora?

Hello all, I have been looking to buy a 1ghz pandora and I just had a few questions.  Is the battery and a charger included in the 589$ package? 
Yes a battery is included. The Pandora is the charger, and it does come with a power adapter. Although you don't need it as it does charge via the mini-usb as well. Or at least I think it charges through USB, I've never bothered to try as the power adapter port looks more durable.

Excellent, thank you very much.  In your opinion is the Pandora worth the 590 dollars spent on it?

It depends what you really want to do with it.. It is an amazing device for what you pay.

So what do you want to achieve with the Pandora?

In your opinion is the Pandora worth the 590 dollars spent on it?
I'd highly recommend you check the My Day With the Pandora articles on Pandoralive to get an idea of what people do with theirs :

http://pandoralive.info/?cat=15

There is Saturn.emu and RAICAST
You should mention, to be fair, that the Saturn emulator is unusable for most games (too slow, but it's not really Pandora specific) and Reicast (not rAIcast) is not full speed yet on Pandora. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, wanted to say the same. Don't get it purely for Saturn or Dreamcast - get it for everything else :)

Yep, wanted to say the same. Don't get it purely for Saturn or Dreamcast - get it for everything else
Hopefully Dreamcast (and who knows... Saturn ?) emulators will run just fine on the Pyra :)  But in the meantime, spending money on getting a Pandora is still very, very good value. But it depends what you do with it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Get it for Brogue! ;)

There are lots of platforms available in this little device. All the retro computers are in it!

But don't forget the native. You have pure Linux power in your pocket.

I am really looking forward to the Pyra though.

Pandora is a great machine, but it looks like the Pyra is gonna be on a whole different level, in many ways.

I was looking to get it as a more portable retro emulator and a way to play DOS games on the go.  One last question, will a microsd card in an sd card adapter work on the Pandora?

And thank you all for being so helpful, not many communities are this kind to newcomers :D

A few words:

The pandora is a full netbook. No joke, it is even enough for a university student. Open (libre) Office, PDF Reader, Email, Instant Messaging, Videos, Music, surfing, special programms for astronomy, calculation, programming, electronic science. It is all there. You can even crypt your pandora. http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=TrueCrypt-hmc

But of course you can game with it.

Dreamcast is a bit slow (depends on the game, most are not fullspeed), PSP depends on the game (some are fullspeed, some are not), most Nintendo DS games are fullspeed. If you just want to play games, you maybe want a nvidia shield instead. But it is way bigger and it is harder to carry it around (and I believe it is heavier).

I prefer my Pandora, I can put it into my pocket and take it with me where I want.

Thanks for all the info, also is there a warranty for the pandora if you buy it on the site?

Thanks for all the info, also is there a warranty for the pandora if you buy it on the site?
6 months warranty if I remember correctly. Included. 

If you get into troubles outside of that timeframe you can anyway get it repaired, too.

PSP depends on the game (some are fullspeed, some are not)
By the way you should check the PSP Compatibility list, I have made lots of additions in the past couple of days. 

And thank you all for being so helpful, not many communities are this kind to newcomers :D
That's another thing unique to the Pandora. The community is awesome.

Yes, the Pandora is well worth the price, I second ekianjo's suggestion to read the "My Day with the Pandora" articles. As some people say, it may not be a device for everybody, but for retro gaming is definitely the best.

One last question, will a microsd card in an sd card adapter work on the Pandora?
Yes, of course. I'm currently using a 32GB micro-SD card (in the SD card adapter that was included with the micro-SD card) and a 64GB normal size SD card.

Back