Questions On The Fwupdater.zip

second exodous

Advanced Member
Ok, I have a few questions about the updater that Rob Brown wrote. In his read me he had this as the instructions:

1) (Optional, but recommended): Test the flash utility on your GP2X.

Unzip flashtest.zip on your computer. Copy the two files to your SD card, and then run

flashtest.gpe.

It will write an image of the kernel to your NAND, but in the unused area of the NAND

so if it fails, it will not make your GP2X unusable.

Note: when it says "Press Y to reboot", just turn your GP2X off, wait 10 seconds,

and then turn it on again. Something in the register settings I've used for the

flash program prevents the GP2X from booting successfully afterwards, unless it

is switched off and on again.

Ok, I'm overly paranoid about leaving my SD card in the unit when I turn it on and off as I bricked one already and had to wait a month for a replacement, so do I leave it in while I do this? I really really don't want to, is that needed?

If step 1 completed successfully, then proceed to actually updating your kernel:

2) Unzip kernel1_1_0.zip file onto your computer. Copy the two files to your SD card,

and then run kernel1_1_0.gpe. When this has completed, once again turn your GP2X off,

leave it for 10 seconds, and then turn it on again.

When the update has been successful, the green GP2X booting screen will have a

"FW 1.1.0" notice.

Once again do I leave the card in? Overly paranoid about bricking here.

3) Run GPH's update. Get the Firmware 1.1.0 file from archive.gp2x.de, and unzip it onto

your computer. Delete gp2xkernel.img and copy the rest of the files to your SD card.

Run the patch20051216.gpu file.

So this doesn't require any turn off/turn on so I don't need to worry about this part.

Sorry again if these questions have been answered before, but I did a search and couldn't find the answers. I just don't want another bricked unit I have to send back, even if I can unbrick it with the 1.0.1 firmware I don't want to take the chance.

Thanx,
Stan

From what I've read and heard, when the flasher says "Press Y to reboot", you can safely remove the SD card and turn off the unit. It doesn't need the SD card when the system is booting up.

Um, I started it up without the card in it, and it sees nothing in the explorer. I have a 2GB card, do I need a smaller one, or do I need to partition my card or something?

Thanx,
Stan

What size of card did you have? Can the card be seen if you start the unit up, then put a card in?

Thanx,
Stan

LIZARDKING posted on Dec 31 2005 at 09:49 PM said:
1GB SanDisk; no.

Not even after the update...

Sorry to contradict you, but I have an 1GB Integral and when using FW 1.0 I could insert the SD card after booting and view and use the files on the card. I still can now using FW 1.1.0.

@second exodous The only way I could update was using this FW updater. I was a little foolhardy though as I didn't bother with the test before flashing, as I thought if it's going to brick it will. :p AFAIK 2GB support is added with this update so you may need a different card to run the update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh crap, I can't even play anything then until I find a smaller card. I know of one person I could ask to use their card, but won't see them until next week.

Thanx,
Stan

Found someone on Craigslist that is willing to do a trade a 32 meg SD card for cables or something, so I could have it today.

My question still remains, can the card be read when it's inserted after the unit is on? I'm just going to have him format it as FAT32 and stick a file on it to see if my GP2X can see it.

Thanx,
Stan

NeoStuey posted on Dec 31 2005 at 06:02 PM said:
LIZARDKING posted on Dec 31 2005 at 09:49 PM said:
1GB SanDisk; no.

Not even after the update...

Sorry to contradict you, but I have an 1GB Integral and when using FW 1.0 I could insert the SD card after booting and view and use the files on the card. I still can now using FW 1.1.0.

@second exodous The only way I could update was using this FW updater. I was a little foolhardy though as I didn't bother with the test before flashing, as I thought if it's going to brick it will. :p AFAIK 2GB support is added with this update so you may need a different card to run the update.

hahahah..You are correct sir!!...hahahaha

It does detect! ;)

make sure you don't put the .img file on and you should be fine unless your SD card gets corrupted

Im pretty sure the GP2X only supports 128 MB to 1 GB untill you get 1.1.0 then it supports upto 2 GB
I used this meathod and was succsesful but bricked it by un related things

make sure you do the test, then put the actual upgrade thing included, do that then put the stuff from the aGPH update besides the .img file, what I did at least, worked for me

help me, i left mine in, it got stuck on the second step, and now only shows the first black screen when i turn it on, is there a way to unbrick, in the readme it says there is a guide to unbricking.

Well, I finally got a hold of a card that I can use on my GP2X with 1.0.1 firmware, and it only took 12 days, and hopefully I'll be able to play on it tonight.

Anyway, When I move the files flahtest.gpe and flashtest.bin to the SD card and put it into my GP2X I can see them through the explorer, but when I go to utilities it can't see the files. I assume that is where you would run flashtest.gpe, is through utilities. What am I doing wrong?

Once again I did a few searches and nothing turned up on this forum, so if it's somewhere else I'm sorry, I couldn't find it.

Thanx,
Stan

Well, I finally got a hold of a card that I can use on my GP2X with 1.0.1 firmware, and it only took 12 days, and hopefully I'll be able to play on it tonight.

Anyway, When I move the files flahtest.gpe and flashtest.bin to the SD card and put it into my GP2X I can see them through the explorer, but when I go to utilities it can't see the files. I assume that is where you would run flashtest.gpe, is through utilities. What am I doing wrong?

Once again I did a few searches and nothing turned up on this forum, so if it's somewhere else I'm sorry, I couldn't find it.

Thanx,
Stan

.gpe = games menu

.gpu = utilities menu

go to the games menu and you will find your file.

Ordinarily you can change the extension of a .gpe to .gpu and vice versa but I don't recommend you do that as I don't want to jinx your firmware update. i changed the cpu clock changer from a .gpe to a .gpu and happily use it in the utilities menu now. It bugged me have to go to the games menu to run it. :)

you must be starting to get a 'little' bit irate with all this by now ;)

I think that I am NEVER EVER going to update my firmware :D

anyways, easy answer is that a .gpe file is visible through the 'games' selector, and a .gpu is visible through the 'utilities' selector, so you should be able to run flashtest.gpe via 'games'.

edit: ok NeoStuey beat me to it. now you know twice!

Ohh, I see, a little confusing, but I understand now. I ran flashtest.gpe but nothing was written to my nand, so should I find another card to do the update? I hope not, because it will be another week for sure.

Thanx,
Stan

Back