Gp2x Kernel Updater

Robster

Dodgy hardware mod maker
Website
www.cobbleware.com
I've made a utility for updating the kernel on the GP2X. Note that it ONLY updates the kernel, so after you have done this, you'll still need to run GPH's update utility.

The standard disclaimer applies:
You follow this process at your own risk. I will not accept responsibility for any damage to your GP2X arising from following this process. It IS possible that this process will make your GP2X unusable, and you must accept this risk before following the process.

Update: Three people have reported that their flashes failed. I have updated the program with a modified retry method, to try to avoid this in future. However, you have been warned!

Instructions:

1) (Optional, but recommended): Test the flash utility on your GP2X. Download this zip file and unzip it on your computer. Copy the two files to the root directory of your SD card, and then run flashtest.gpe. It will write an image of the kernel to your NAND, but in the unused area of the NAND so if it fails, it will not make your GP2X unusable.

Note: when it says "Press Y to reboot", just turn your GP2X off, wait 10 seconds, and then turn it on again. Something in the register settings I've used for the flash program prevents the GP2X from booting successfully afterwards, unless it is switched off and on again.

If step 1 completed successfully, then proceed to actually updating your kernel:

2) Download this zip file and unzip it onto your computer. Copy the two files to the root directory of your SD card, and then run kernel1_1_0a.gpe. When this has completed, once again turn your GP2X off, leave it for 10 seconds, and then turn it on again.

When the update has been successful, the green GP2X booting screen will have a light-coloured border around the outside. That's about the only way I know of that you can tell the difference.

3) Run GPH's update. Get the Firmware 1.1.0 file from archive.gp2x.de, and unzip it onto your computer. Delete gp2xkernel.img and copy the rest of the files to your SD card. Run the patch20051216.gpu file.

All done! Your update is complete, and you can remove all of the above files from your GP2X. If you had a failure, try booting anyway, but if it doesn't work, you will need to follow DJWillis' unbricking guide.

Looks good, but I have no need for it, because I can upgrade from my SD. Good job anyway! Nice work!

when running patch20051216.gpu.. It just goes completely black for like a few seconds then goes back to the menu with no mention if anything was done to your system?

This rocks. Thanks Robster. Now I can update!

Will it be able to update uboot as well? I believe that uboot has been updated in previous firmware updates, but this update does not include any uboot updates.

rkenshin posted on Dec 23 2005 at 12:21 PM said:
when running patch20051216.gpu.. It just goes completely black for like a few seconds then goes back to the menu with no mention if anything was done to your system?
Because all it is doing is running a bash script to copy files from SD to NAND.

Last edited by a moderator:
beanfarmer posted on Dec 23 2005 at 03:19 AM said:
does this have to be done on an sd card of can it be done on mmc as well?
as long as gp2x can acces the files it should be fine.

A couple of updates:

1) On the green loading screen, as well as the faint border, it also says "Version 1.1.0" in small letters near the centre of the screen. Not sure how I missed that before :D

2) It is normal for the GPH updater to just display a black screen for a few seconds and then return to the menu. It's not very classy, but it seems to work!

When we run the flash test program, how do we know if our gp2x is fine to upgrade? Will it not get to the reboot screen or something...... or will it tell you if it was unsuccessful? Otherwise, i'm not exactly sure what the point of the test program is..... sorry if this sounds stupid.

Thanks for the updater, now i can finally update my firmware. Now i'm just wondering if I should...... I know I will when i get a 2GB card but right now all I have is 1GB. Does the new firmware have better video support? (xvid?)

Thanks,
-ben

EDIT: well, i plucked up my courage and tried it.... and it works!! Thanks so much!

EDIT2: YES!!! XVID WORKS!!!!!! no more reencoding my already gp2x-encoded videos (i encoded all my stuff with xvid and 320x240 before my gp2x came, in preparation, and then it didn't work!)

I put the test files on my SD card but when I look on the card from the utility menu I don't see them there but I can see them with the file explorer.

Ok I got it to run from the game menu but I get a black screen for an awfully long time. How long should it take and what should I do if the test app does not work?

Russ Meyer: it's actually a "Game" rather than a "Utility".

deadlychicken22: the test program will display something on the LCD... either "Completed Successfully" or some sort of error message. You will certainly know whether it succeeded or not.

Oh, I see you tried it. Good for you :D

Robster posted on Dec 22 2005 at 08:36 PM said:
Russ Meyer: it's actually a "Game" rather than a "Utility".

deadlychicken22: the test program will display something on the LCD... either "Completed Successfully" or some sort of error message. You will certainly know whether it succeeded or not.

Oh, I see you tried it. Good for you :D

See the above edited post. Any ideas?

OK Never mind for some reason it would not run from my 1G Kingston(black screen) but it ran from my Viking 256MB go figure. Both cards were formated the same way. Anyway thanx for the great app my red battery light is now out!

Russ Meyer: You should get a blank screen for maybe 3 seconds, then a messed-up screen for 2 seconds, and then some text telling you what's going on.

Possible solutions if that's not what you're getting:
- Did you put the files in the root of your SD card? It won't work if they're in a subdirectory
- Try re-transferring the files to the SD card
- Try re-downloading the files

No-one else has had the problem that you're describing, so for the moment I'd prefer to think it's something you're doing wrong :)

Robster posted on Dec 22 2005 at 09:04 PM said:
Russ Meyer: You should get a blank screen for maybe 3 seconds, then a messed-up screen for 2 seconds, and then some text telling you what's going on.

Possible solutions if that's not what you're getting:
- Did you put the files in the root of your SD card? It won't work if they're in a subdirectory
- Try re-transferring the files to the SD card
- Try re-downloading the files

No-one else has had the problem that you're describing, so for the moment I'd prefer to think it's something you're doing wrong :)

It's all good read my edit, you are replying faster than I can edit. I think I wasn't in the root on the other card. Thanx

Okay guys my question is: do you have to have 1.0.1 installed, or can you upgrade from the original 1.0 to 1.1.0 with no need of 1.0.1???

portcitypetino posted on Dec 22 2005 at 09:58 PM said:
Okay guys my question is: do you have to have 1.0.1 installed, or can you upgrade from the original 1.0 to 1.1.0 with no need of 1.0.1???

This was my first upgrade and it was from 1.0
I think it was writen for people who have not been able to upgrade due to SD card compatability problems.

Back