Gp2x Kernel Updater

damn, i thought it was a new thread ... but it's just the old one heated up again.

anyway, i join the robster-callers ... please help if you can :rolleyes: .

The last updater simply updated the kernel. It's not that simple this time, you need to update uboot, kernel, format the rest of the nand and install a file system. Writing a uboot updater is always going to be tricky and brick a few units, and who are you going to complain to about your unit being made unusable?

Much easier to go the official route and just buy a SD card that's compatible - they are cheap enough. Plus, if you brick your unit doing it the official way, you can send your 2x back as a faulty product if it bricks your unit whilst installing the official update.

hell...

i have a kingston 1gb SD and it's in the compatible list, but i simply can't update my firmware..

Now i have the 1.40 one (thanks to robster) but i can't update to the 2.0..
I press select and start and do all the things but with no result.. or better with only the result that the .img files disappears from my sd..

Squidge can u help me?
It's a common problem? I tried a lot of times with only the result that everytime I lost the .img files from my card..

edit: hangman has a kingston 1gb too and he can upgrade, but he has "015.ADOLF" on the code and i have "016.ADOLF"... this is the only difference.. so not all the kingston ones are supported..

i wouldn't complain to anyone, i see that it is more difficult this time. the risk is on me and i'm willing to take it.
all i want to know is, if someone at least tries to write something.

the problems with buying another sd-card for me is:

- reading all the posts i'm not sure if ANY sd-card is 100% compatible for updating. i have 3 cards already, i won't buy another one. i tested it with 7 cards, of which 3 were supposed to work according to the wiki and the faq here.

- i'm not even sure if the problem is only with the sd-card, i suspect that it furthermore has to do with card-readers, looking at gadget's post in the faq (#275 at the end).actually i mean the combination of specific sd-cards and card-writers. no way i'm going to buy another card reader. or is it my gp2x-unit, heck how am i supposed to know why it doesn't work?

i'm sure, many of those who had not the slightest problem updating their firmwares, won't understand my frustration. all in all it is just a firmware update and it should plain work without you having to understand why.
but it gets frustrating after hours of formatting, copying and switching cards and still no success.

sorry for getting angry, i know you guys do your best to improve the gp2x and mean to help.

i've done enough complaining about this on the board and it's gph's fault, not yours. so this is the last time.

grgry posted on May 18 2006 at 09:45 PM said:
- i'm not even sure if the problem is only with the sd-card, i suspect that it furthermore has to do with card-readers, looking at gadget's post in the faq (#275 at the end).actually i mean the combination of specific sd-cards and card-writers. no way i'm going to buy another card reader. or is it my gp2x-unit, heck how am i supposed to know why it doesn't work?

yes.. can be the card reader! because hangman and me have the same SD card and the same OS. So can be only the card reader... damn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the Dave Award

I thought this was a new thread and downgraded to 1.10 :p

I updated weeks ago to firmware 2.0 using a 64 Mb SD card.

But i have tried to use the same SD card to update the GP2X of a friend without success...

Any explanation?

Regards.

Franxis posted on May 22 2006 at 11:45 PM said:
I updated weeks ago to firmware 2.0 using a 64 Mb SD card.

But i have tried to use the same SD card to update the GP2X of a friend without success...

Any explanation?

Regards.

Using a different card reader?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back