Questions Before Purchase

Benjagan91

Still Fresh
Hi,

This is my first post here so... Hi from Australia! =)

I'm thinking about getting a Wiz, but i don't like the touchscreen idea... can i turn it off? disable it? I'd get the earlier gp2x without touchscreen but i want access to the bigger SD cards =)

Can i plug in some sort of wifi adapter to my wiz? I'd love to get on the internet using it.

I'd also like to buy the cradle to plug in keyboard, mouse, lcd screen whilst at home etc. being linux i'd basically like to use it nearly as a PC =P

Can i install firefox, open office etc. ? If not can i install straight linux?

Should i stick to like a 1024x768 small LCD since the max of the gp2x is 720x480 so i don't want too much quality loss through upscaling?

Basically i'd like to know if i can use a gp2x for web browsing, IM (msn), word processing, music, movies, all the basics that a fresh install of say, ubuntu can handle? =) I know not all of these will be practical when out and about... but when docked to the cradle at least?

Thanks for your time. I know what i'm asking is pretty crazy since it's supposed to be a homebrew games and emulator handheld =)

Regards, Benjagan91

EDIT:

Ok that resolution thing i says about 720x480 i think is only video resolution? Does that mean i could use a 19" lcd for example with 1280x1024 at it's native resolution for just normal display? The wiz doesn't support as higher resolution as the original... only 640*480 vs 720*480

1. I'm thinking about getting a Wiz, but i don't like the touchscreen idea... can i turn it off? disable it?
A. I don't think you can turn the touch screen off, but can you tell us why you would want to?

2. Can i plug in some sort of wifi adapter to my wiz? I'd love to get on the internet using it.
A. There is a WIFI adapter being released by GPH soon.

3. I'dalso like to buy the cradle to plug in keyboard, mouse, lcd screen whilst at home etc. being linux i'd basically like to use it nearly as a PC =P
A. The GP2X cradle is not compatible with the Wiz, however I think there may be a cradle for the Wiz in the pipeline.

4. Can i install firefox, open office etc. ? If not can i install straight linux?
A. This is doubtful, the Wiz was designed as a handheld and not really with desktop computing in mind. But who knows, this community has done wonders with the GP2X!

Isn't the wifi adapter from GPH a docking type thing too? a dongle or something would be good for portability. wifi in the sd slot?

In regards to the touchscreen... never really liked them. Have tried them on phones and with a stylus on Nintendo DS i use to own... not my sorta thing.

Thanks for the reply! =)

Regards, Benjagan91

The touchscreen is only used for the main menu and a few games and apps. In the menu it's not necessary to use it at all, you can use the directional pad and buttons instead. Most of the Emulators don't use it, the only one I can think of is ScummVM. So you really don't ever have to use the touch screen.

Hi Benjagan91,

Benjagan91 said:
Can i plug in some sort of wifi adapter to my wiz? I'd love to get on the internet using it.

Like WarmfluffyUK said, GPH will release one nearly december.

It should looks like this one:

wiz_wifi.bmp

wiz_wifi2.bmp

Independend of this, i work actually on my own WIZ-WIFI solution, it would be smarter then the GPH ones ;)

Benjagan91 said:
I'd also like to buy the cradle to plug in keyboard, mouse, lcd screen whilst at home etc. being linux i'd basically like to use it nearly as a PC =P

Regards, Benjagan91

So i made a couple of days ago my first prototype cradle for the WIZ, there you can use USB-HID devices (e.g. keyboards, controller and in the future also Wifi , Bluetooth and so on)

Here you can see it in action:

DSCN6060.jpg

If GPH will release his own solution in the future, i don´t know, but i talked with Tony (from GPH) about and he said , he loves my cradle :) ,
maybe so they bring out soon a commercial solution of it.

Best regards,
andY

Last edited by a moderator:
Argh i can't believe you guys didn't recommend me the Pandora! Just found out about it and omg that thing is sweet and does exactly what i need it to! =D

Waiting for second batch i think... i'm not too financial at the moment.

Regards, Benjagan91

Benjagan91 said:
Argh i can't believe you guys didn't recommend me the Pandora! Just found out about it and omg that thing is sweet and does exactly what i need it to! =D

Regards, Benjagan91
Yeah the Pandora is much closer to what you want.

The Wiz is mostly just an emulation and homebrew game machine. That is not a bad thing if that is what you want. The screen is too small to do any internet stuff on it really.

Benjagan91 said:

Regards, Benjagan91

sounds more like your after a Netbook

Yeah really, this:

Basically i'd like to know if i can use a gp2x for web browsing, IM (msn), word processing, music, movies, all the basics that a fresh install of say, ubuntu can handle? =) I know not all of these will be practical when out and about... but when docked to the cradle at least?

Just screams netbook. It doesn't sound like you're looking for a gaming device at all. You can get netbooks pretty cheap nowadays.

DurTahar said:
Yeah really, this:

Just screams netbook. It doesn't sound like you're looking for a gaming device at all. You can get netbooks pretty cheap nowadays.

Netbook can't fit in my pocket ;)

Thanks guys, i sent an email requesting a pandora out of 2nd batch when it comes around next year.

Regards, Benjagan91

Benjagan91 said:
Netbook can't fit in my pocket ;)

Thanks guys, i sent an email requesting a pandora out of 2nd batch when it comes around next year.

Regards, Benjagan91

Don't do it! The Pandora has a touch screen and I don't think you can turn it off! :D

Back