Question To The Mods/board

e_b

Still Fresh
I keep reading people with emu issues and not being able to get them running without lots of messing about. Iit seems to me the easiest thing to do is for someone (I don't mind being that someone) to make a 'default setup' that has all (or a good selection anyway) of the emus working and is simply set out so people can easily see what to do.

Then stick that 'image' on a disk and offer if for a nominal fee (say £1) to cover disk and postage costs.

How does that sound? Maybe we should have a sticky so any newbies can go straight there - order a disk and then tinker to their hearts content in the knowledge they have a good source to go back to?

Sorry if this sounds harsh on newbies - but I'm one myself, I'd rather not be the one making the image as I'm sure there are experts out there with better knowledge...but I will do it if no-one else will.

Alternatively, is there a way to share something like this on the WWW? We could then just provide a link - and if a new emu comes out (or update) we just update the central files.

Thoughts/comments appreciated :)

Emulators work just fine without much fiddling. Those which don't work is because they may require a BIOS of the emulated console. Spreading BIOSes is illegal and it is one's own responsibility to find one. README files ALWAYS explain what is necessary to run the software. I'm not sure about selling the software on CDs, since it's open-source.

good point about the bios's didn't think about that.

WRT to charging, it was just to cover costs - not to profiteer, ~10p disk ~50p post then packaging...just to cover costs is all I meant.

I agree, probably not the best idea (in retrospect) altho it'd be nice to have one file to d/l rather than lot's.

e_b said:
good point about the bios's didn't think about that.

WRT to charging, it was just to cover costs - not to profiteer, ~10p disk ~50p post then packaging...just to cover costs is all I meant.

I agree, probably not the best idea (in retrospect) altho it'd be nice to have one file to d/l rather than lot's.
What if you only want to play, say, MegaDrive games and don't care about all the other consoles provided in the package?

I remember a time before we even had the archive for the GP32 and we somehow managed just fine :p.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL

Well obviously one would just delete the folders they don't require!

IIRC we actually had the whole GP32 'catalogue' on a DVD that you could ask a mod for - I certainly got one...all I was trying to do was make life a bit easier for newbies and improve the quality:quantity ratio of the questions asked! :)

Back