Frodo Question

Arutha

A quick question for any users of Frodo out there... is it possible to save games to disk for those that do so? If so, could you pass on how you did so?

Specifically, I've been trying to run Curse of the Azure Bonds. Disk images downloaded work fine, and I happen to own a copy so the protection isn't a problem. After creating a character, I'm asked if I want to save (yes) and am prompted to put in a blank disk. I have tried both a copied disk image and have used a c64 disk image editor to create a blank image. I press the start key and choose the blank.d64 image, hit start again to return. The game comes back with a "Save Failed" error. Unfortunately, not anything more specific. And so, I'm wondering if I'm doing something incorrectly, or if Frodo currently doesn't support write and/or has other problems.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Frodo shouldn't in theory be able to stop you from saving to blank d64's, it is just a normal part of the emulation. I doubt you are doing anything wrong. When you actually go to save the file does the (8) show in the bottom right of the display as this indicates disk access, or does it flash constantly after the error appears. The flashing would suggest a possible disk error, either disk not in the drive or D64 file error.

Was the game originally loaded from a D64 or T64? - I have found some T64 to mis-behave.

Have you tried setting the 1541 drive emulation setting to ON, this has been known to fix some problems like this.

PK.

--well - From my point of view - Frodo will need to write to the smc - To write to the blank .d64 therefore the emulator needs to emulate the disc drive writing - which may of course need implementing?

Snaff? - any comments?

I did try the 1541 emulation setting, no luck :(. I downloaded a copy of Pool of Radiance (the first in the series) that happened to come with 3 save disks. What I've experienced is that the game seems to be able to write to an existing save disk, but not create a new one (apparently it tries to format the disk somehow). It took some searching, but I did find a save disk for Curse of the Azure Bonds, unless I post something different here, assume that (yay!) all is well. My other possible solution will be finding a PC C64 emulator and trying to create the save disk in-game through that, then moving it to the GP32.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Frodo doesn't support writing to d64 or t64 images (the original or the port). It can write to an attached directory, but files bigger than 16k will break.

Back