Question From A Noob

MrAcid70

Still Fresh
Hey guys, I'm new to this whole GP thing. I was considering buying the GP2X, since a buddy of mine let me play his GP32 and it was incredible! But before I throw away all that cash, I just wanna get some things straight. First, does GP release special emulators just for the system, or will any emulator due? In that case, can I just open the package, and just hook the system up to my pc, and transfer emulators and roms, or is the process different? I appreciate any and all help!

Thanks for the reply dude, but in the emulator sections, it says the following:
Emulators: There are emulators in the works and being planned for many systems. Some may be available at GP2X's launch, others afterwards. See here for a list of some projects currently underway.

The link doesnt work either, and it doesnt explain the whole process anywhere. So, can you tell me wheather specific emu's must be obtained, or will any do? Thanks.

They have to be made specifically for the GP2X ... just check the front page of this site ... there's a few already :)

Emulators, ports and games are not made by GP they are made by homebrew coders in their spare time. The software is specific for the system so you need specially written or ported software. As far as I know there is only an SNES emu and ports of quake I and II available at the moment.

Wow thanks alot guys, this all sounds awesome! But I also noticed that there are like 3 different maufacturers of the system. I live in the USA but the site doesnt look as trustworthy as say the UK one. It doesnt even have a release date! So would you recommened ordering from one of those, or from say lik-sang?

Wow thanks alot guys, this all sounds awesome! But I also noticed that there are like 3 different maufacturers of the system. I live in the USA but the site doesnt look as trustworthy as say the UK one. It doesnt even have a release date! So would you recommened ordering from one of those, or from say lik-sang?
All the GP2X are manufactured in Korea by a company called GamePark Holdings (GPH) but there are different distributers in different regions, they are probably more trustworthy than lik-sang as they all contribute to this community, have we got any lik-sang reps here?

Craigix is the man from the UK site, can't remember who the rest are but I'm sure they have something to say about being pwned by craig :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The official U.S. Distributer is GP32z.com ...

We should be getting ours by early next week.

</pwned>

Alright excellent, and I have one final, very important question. Can I use any SD card, like one I buy in say Best Buy? Or must I buy the one's affored on gp32zl.com? Thanks alot for all the replies guys, and I'm sorry to bug you so much. You've been extremly helpful!

If you are talking about GP32Z.com, I purchased my chatboard from there and received it really fast to me here in the UK. He sells out of his shop and also sells GP32 and Zodiac stuff on Ebay as well. :) He also says that the GP2X stock is arriving with him next week. :D

However I made my choice to purchase my GP2X from gbax.com as I live in the UK less shipping costs and hassles, plus I bought my GP32 from Craigix in the past so my loyalty lies there. Plus he has gone to the extra trouble of checking out all the units he received before shipping them out to make sure defective units get weeded out before we get them. B)

Lik-Sang aren't getting shipping until the end of the month last I looked. :huh:

You should really email the two GP32 stores and see who will be able to get you your console first and for the price you want, shipping and taxes need to be considered. ;)

Alright excellent, and I have one final, very important question. Can I use any SD card, like one I buy in say Best Buy? Or must I buy the one's affored on gp32zl.com? Thanks alot for all the replies guys, and I'm sorry to bug you so much. You've been extremly helpful!

Any SD card should work (the firmware has trouble recognizing 2GB cards, but that will be fixed soon with a firmware upgrade)

And a belated welcome to the community :)

1GB is the current limit in size due to GPH using an old SD driver in their firmware, when they upgrade the firmware though expect the current SD problems to fade away...... :D

Damn this dial up connection! I can't refresh the page quick enough and Lou beats me to the chase again...... :lol:

Hey Lou, maybe you can sort my connection out?! :ph34r:

On second thoughts I think the boards are taking a pasting my other pages are refreshing fine but gp32x.de is not responding it must be getting hammered by us all salivating at the slightest bit of news. :blink:

Back