Question About Putting Films On The F200

delaneyblues

Still Fresh
Hi All,

I have managed to put a film on the sd card and it plays ok but its very jerky.
Anyone have any ideas why ???

Thanks
Dealney

I'd advise you get the Mp2x player, which is an updated version of the included player.

The internal player played 90 % of what I threw at it, but the odd file had the skipping
your talking about, when I used Mp2x that played those files perfectly.

I'd also like to sing the praises of GMenu2x, which allows you once you got a shortcut to the player, to
choose the overclock, so if you get a file that's still skipping then overclock to 220 or 240 Mhz and that
should solve the issue. Note though, that apart from the odd file (like 1 out of 10) I've found that using
Gmenu2x and mp2x that most files (even those big full resoultion ones) can be played whilst underclocking
the system to 175 Mhz or so, which is great for saving batteries, so I always underlock and only clock it
back to 200, or 210 when a file is jumping etc.

hope you get it sorted :)

With the lack of additional information about the video (i.e. resolution, FPS, bitrates, etc...), we can only guess the reason to the jerkiness.

The most likely reason would be that the video might be too "big" for GP2X to play smoothly. Re-encoding the video to a smaller one would do the trick. ;)

If you encode your video to greater than 320 x 240 resolution, then not only will the film take more space, but you will only see it as 320 x 240 resolution anyway as that is the resolution of the GP2x screen; however the GP2x has to do extra work in making each image this size if it is bigger, with the result that the GP2x works harder, so needs overclocking and might also give some jerkiness as you mention. Best to recode to 320 x 240 I suggest.

kevcal said:
I don't use it, but doesn't the built-in player have 3 different quality or rate values that can be changed via 'a button' before you play the video?
The built-in video player in the F-200 no longer has that feature. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
F-200's MPlayer is far more stable than any other players. During the exhibition, four GP2Xs played xvid and divx videos for more than 10 hours. All of the videos were greater than 320x240 and also using TV-Out option. F-100 tends to lock up and crash frequently expecially while you use TV-Out option.

If your playback is jerky I'm sure it's because of inapprorite codecs. Check the bitrate of the movie and also resolution. You may need to re-encode them. However most of the divx and xvid files should be played without changing anything.

I guess you are using Windows delaneyblues, so my advice would be to download http://www.pocketdivxencoder.net/ (its free).

When the program starts choose iRiver PMP as your device (this will set the output to be 320x240) and then its as easy as choosing the file you want to re-encode, and choosing where to save the new file, and then clicking *add to list* will add it to the list of files to work with. When you have all your videos in the list, click *Encode all* and wait for the program to finish.

You will notice the files are much smaller than before, and play much happier on the gp2x :)

jbrodack said:
i have a video that ran fine on my f100 reencoded with pocketdivx/lathe but plays really jerky on my f200
Try the Mp2x updated player, it's always worked for me, or overclock slightly ;) Although Mp2x player does seem to be quicker...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back