Question About Gp2x 2nd Gen

Just plain silly considering the main focus of the machine (emulation).

Craigix has commented previously that he is having a hard time managing to convince GPH that this thing is used for anything other than watching divx movies and looking at pictures...! We might even be lucky to even get a joystick in that respect. I think maybe emulation is our main focus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Gaterooze, the battery life IS adequate, and I personally love the fact that the 2X takes AAs. My carry case holds several extra sets of rechargeables which is plenty to last me if I played all day straight! When I get home I pop them in my charger and I'm set for the next day!

Craigix has commented previously that he is having a hard time managing to convince GPH that this thing is used for anything other than watching divx movies and looking at pictures...! We might even be lucky to even get a joystick in that respect. I think maybe emulation is our main focus.

hmm strange.
I thought GPH had designed the machine with us in mind after we picked up the 32 (for which we were just a pleasent suprise)

Maybe not... :rolleyes:

GPH might be so clueless but actually if you look at the gp2x's mainboard (where the stock stick is placed) and make some measurements...

I'd risk to say that an elegant replacement is entirely possible and I'm going to get one. :)

My PSP gets a good 6 hours, and the main power feature that i believe the gp2x SHOULD have (any handheld on the planet should) is a sleep mode!

Isn't Sleep Mode just the processor running at, like, 1Mhz with sound, LCD and backlight disabled? o.o Couldn't someone program that in? You might be able to use the code from the LCD/CPU Tweaker, but... people have said that the GP2x locks up under 66Mhz.. some even 150Mhz. Time to investigate!

My PSP gets a good 6 hours, and the main power feature that i believe the gp2x SHOULD have (any handheld on the planet should) is a sleep mode!

Your PSP has a custom Lithium-Ion battery. On gp2x people are using mostly NiMH AA from different manufacturers and recharging them differently (some use insane "turbocharges" with fans to prevent batteries from exploding). So no wonder there are so many results...

Isn't Sleep Mode just the processor running at, like, 1Mhz with sound, LCD and backlight disabled? o.o Couldn't someone program that in? You might be able to use the code from the LCD/CPU Tweaker, but... people have said that the GP2x locks up under 66Mhz.. some even 150Mhz. Time to investigate!

Mine works even at 33MHz (I didn't check lower) but it has then refresh issues. 50MHz is alright thought.

Radek said:
Mine works even at 33MHz (I didn't check lower) but it has then refresh issues. 50MHz is alright thought.
I suppose if you turned the backlight off before underclocking, and resumed the CPU speed before turning it back on, the refresh issues wouldn't be a problem. If someone could give me a register for the backlight controller or a line of code that toggles it, I could probably whip up something quickly. The only problem would be the memory controller. Hopefully, noone will be moving data to RAM in that time, so the machine will just be in total silence, only for waiting for the key combination to be entered.
It would definately help with battery issues for idling. Running at 1-10Mhz would probably make the batteries last.. well, a day, probably. And just like Squidge's Voltage Detector, it would bring one of the GP2x's faults into check while we think up optimisations for programs =3 I expect that lower clockspeeds would be essential for non-big programs and menus.

Back