Question About Gp2x 2nd Gen

HiveMind

Still Fresh
Well as a lot of other people seem to have been doing I am interested in buying a GP2X but I have a few concerns which have been addresses partly by other posts but not in the context of a 2nd generation of the hardware.
Anyway what I want to ask is:

Will there be 2nd generation of the gp2x hardware akin to the GBASP?

I ask this because the battery times of 4-4.5 hours arn't really adiquate in the current environment when compared to the DS or even the PSP which has a motor to run as well. Also I feel the lack of a stick and a D-pad is a rather large deisgn flaw. Other things i would like to know is are there any mods about or chances of the GP2X haveing WiFi connectivity?

Thanks in advance.

Aint happening.

Battery life is a firmware issue, which will be resolved.

So what you see is what you'll get.

It just makes a lot more sense, especially when you consider how cheap it would be for the manufacturers to add it. Certain games and applications just feel and work better when useing a stick or a D-pad. Here are some examples:

NES - makes much more sense to have a D-pad as this is what the original console used.

Quake 2 - makes more sense due to it being a FPS where mouse like movement is important.

indeed it isn't an analogue stick (which is another oversight) but even despite this a stick and d-pad are still better suited to certain games.

I don't think there will be a 2nd generation... it will only be hardwareflaw-free.. the specs or design won't really change.

Wi-Fi -might- be added sometime if it's possible to find a compatible device and write drivers and software.

The battery time WILL improve if hardware-scaling and -clocking is implemented.. so you only use the hardware you need with the speed you need at any time.

how long was it after the release of the GP32 before the new models started coming out? theres like 5 different ones isnt there?

Last edited by a moderator:
gp32 2000/2001
gp32 flu 2002(?) (3rd party)
gp32 blu 2004
gp32 blu+ end 2004/ start 2005

The only change is the display.

And wasn't the BLU+ incompatible with some software for earlier units?
Yes, in a way. The screen functioned differently so programs that were compiled with anything but the official SDK would have display problems. But just about all programs have BLU+ versions available now.

And wasn't the BLU+ incompatible with some software for earlier units?
Yes, in a way. The screen functioned differently so programs that were compiled with anything but the official SDK would have display problems. But just about all programs have BLU+ versions available now.

Question is what are possible changes that could be aplied to the next revision of gp2x?

The only ones I have in a mind is different joystick, custom Lithium-Ion battery and perhaps some added functionality like wifi.

Only replacing joystick could bring compatibility problems. But only "could" because when done right there will be none.

HiveMind said:
I ask this because the battery times of 4-4.5 hours arn't really adiquate in the current environment when compared to the DS or even the PSP

Erm... you do realize that 4-4.5 hours is longer than a PSP lasts, don't you? And with the GP2X you can just pop in another set of AAs and keep going.

I never understand this criticism/comparison.

me eather, also ive had the same 2100mah rechargables in my 2x for 3 days now without a reacharge (weird i know) granted i havent played much just a few of underclocked games of suduko *spelling? and gnuboy with no sound oo and that lil play on speedball 2 :D god bless drmd :D

edit: damn dyslexia

Having a joystick instead of a d-pad= Just plain silly considering the main focus of the machine (emulation).
Never seen a 2x yet though I hope it isn't as bad as the 32 in that regard.

Back