Quartz 2 Commercial Game Released

Hooka

That Guy!
Website
Visit site
Hey, just incase you guys missed it a new commercial game was released Here, on the clickgamer site it's a puzzle game kinda like tetris but sideways :) I dunno how to explain it better than that. It's (in my opinion) better than their first commercial release blazar, so hopefully it'll keep on with that trend and we'll see some class games coming from them.

Well, they are getting better, and it's nice to know that someone is developing for the GP2X, but, these games are of somewhat low quality. :( My guess is that it's the "EDGE" engine they are developing with. All the games that are made with it have rather choppy moving objects, and the games just seem to be inefficient. They also seem to be using the same goofy color palette. And, they sell exclusively through clickgamer, which just seems to want to cram a $30 Commodore 64 emulator (that should be free :rolleyes: ) down your throat.

Y'know what? It just came to me now, it's like buying cellphone games. Goofy palette, choppy frame rate (even in 2D games), and running sluggish. Plus, I wouldn't spend $7 for this game. Heck, I'm not even keeping the demo...

But I digress, it is nice to know that there are more and more people developing on the GP2X. And I say "best of luck" to them because you never know when the next great game will come out. :)

Random comment: Holy cow! A $30 emulator! Thats ridicurous! <sic> :D

s-tris 2 feels smooth to me, that's another elements interactive game. and the text and graphics look anti-aliased, so the colors are probably just down to more of a design choice. or is that what you meant by palette, rememberthe8bit? like not an actual indexed color list but the designer's choice of colors? to be honest i don't think that it looks bad, but you're right, they could have made this one a little more unique-looking, possibly by pushing the quartz/crystal further.

i'm going to try this out soon and see if i notice the chopiness. i will say that blazar never felt all that fluid to me. not necessarily choppy, but just not that responsive. but i'm not a good judge because shooters rarely keep my interest.

it's great to see someone trying anyway. i love puzzlers and i hope this is at least decent. if it's like s-tris 2 then i'll probably buy it, because i was pleased with that, and i like that they gave it away.

- does anyone on the boards have experience with edge sdk? i wonder if it does have any limitations? it seems to be capable of some simple 3d, so how bad could it be?

edit: "Many games require your GP2X's Device ID to generate an unlock key. You can find this in Menu > Settings > Info. The Device ID is the final 8 digits i.e. 00000949"

i'm totally cool with them using copy-protection. the game is 7 bucks and i'm sure if my '2x broke they'd just give me another copy of the game. but "many games require..."? there aren't even enough commercial games yet to justify the word "many" :)

s-tris 2 feels smooth to me, that's another elements interactive game. and given that that the text and graphics look anti-aliased, so the colors are probably just down to more of a design choice. or is that what you meant by palette, rememberthe8bit? like not an actual indexed color list but the designer's choice of colors? to be honest i don't think that it looks bad, but you're right, they could have made this one a little more unique-looking, possibly by pushing the quartz/crystal further.

i'm going to try this out soon and see if i notice the chopiness. i will say that blazar never felt all that fluid to me. not necessarily choppy, but just not that responsive. but i'm not a good judge because shooters rarely keep my interest.

it's great to see someone trying anyway. i love puzzlers and i hope this is at least decent. if it's like s-tris 2 then i'll probably buy it, because i was pleased with that, and i like that they gave it away.

- does anyone on the boards have experience with edge sdk? i wonder if it does have any limitations? it seems to be capable of some simple 3d, so how bad could it be?

Yeah, I did sound kinda harsh... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
$30 c64 emulator? what the holy crap in heaven?!!?!? Vice is accurate and free, and personally I have a dozen or more *real* c64s so i rarely bother with emulamer stuff (cept when Im developing).

Id just like to meet someone who thinks they can get $30 for a c64 emulator :)

ps. BTW, when I first saw this item on the weekend I almost bought the game, except it asked for the serial # from my unit and I went 'Huh?'.

I downloaded this because their last game, S-tris, was a very pleasant surprise (great gameplay, music, and graphics). It seemed like it came from a whole different team than Blazar. I know I won't buy it though, but I'll try the demo regardless.

I wish we had more info on that Edge SDK, but my guess is that it can't compare in speed with Paeryn's hardware-accelerated SDL.

- Alex

$30 c64 emulator? what the holy crap in heaven?!!?!? Vice is accurate and free, and personally I have a dozen or more *real* c64s so i rarely bother with emulamer stuff (cept when Im developing).

Id just like to meet someone who thinks they can get $30 for a c64 emulator :)

ps. BTW, when I first saw this item on the weekend I almost bought the game, except it asked for the serial # from my unit and I went 'Huh?'.

I would pay $30 for a C64 emu if it was fullspeed with sound at standard clock speed. The ones on the GP2X are not too great. Frodo has mediocre compatibility and the sound is not great. Vice is even slower with worse sound and you have to overclock substantially to get decent speed. Overclocking to the max for C64 with a 1 MHz CPU? Come on.

Many of use don't have a dozen C64s and even if we did we would attract alot of attention walking around with a c64, crt, and 1541 looking for a plug ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back