Quality Public Domain Roms

jbrodack

gp2x fan
Website
jbrodack.googlepages.com
As my small contribution to the gp2x community I started a public domain rom site with packs for serveral gp2x emulators. This way anyone can at least test out all the emulators for the gp2x and not have to worry about legal issues. plus there is some pretty intersting games out there.

anyone know of any especially good homebrew or pd roms that I should include on my site?

what are your some of your favorite pd roms?

jeff minter games are definitely some of the best. llamatron is a classic. a game inspired by llamatron called pocketron for the neo geo pocket is also reallly good.

the game boys seems to have good pd games as well. hungry are the dead is really cool though was never really finished.

This is the reason I'm sad pdroms.de no longer has it's d/l's, used to be nice to see a small description and a screen shot...

Glad to hear somebody's going after the task in a GP2X friendly manner!

I put the site up then didn't do anything with it for a while. I'm wanting to update it now to include as many emulators as possible and try to dig up as many cool games as I can. I'll try to include as many descriptions as I can and maybe even include some of my own basic readme files that tell the basics of how to play some games.

However, my site is not meant to be comprehensive like pdroms was and include everything out there. I just want to put together game packs where every game provides at least a decent amount of enjoyment and is worth trying. A lot of pd roms are very incomplete or are more like tech demos.. So, Im trying to filter out all the bad or not so fun stuff so you can just go to my site and easily obtain fun, free, legal homebrew and pd roms.

also the site isnt meant to look good or anything just be a means of getting the rom packs I put together.

anyone get llamtron to work with the amiga emu? i can't get past the text that describes the game when i try to load it up. I'm also trying to only put up stuff that will actually work with an existing emulator that we have.

Great idea. Don't forget the Assassins PD Rom discs for the Amiga. Ahem, 'someone' uploaded a torrent on a certain GP2X torrents site which contains disc 1 - 200 (there were 250 in total). Most are very playable on the GP2X. Seeding is an issue though at the moment, and 'someones' files are on an external HD at the moment whilst they sort through a few PC problems. However, these files (which are completely legal by the way, hence the PD moniker) are also available on a few other trackers. Try and check them out if you can. A few favourites have been mentioned in the comments on the torrents site.

BTW - don't slag your own presentation skills! I like the simple and neat style of your site. I think over time this could grow into a great resource for legal GP2X roms. Keep it up please if you can spare the time!! I just saw gridrunner up there and it brings back the memories! Go on Jeff Minter you lama loving god coder you!! :lol:

thanks for the feedback. yeah i have the contents of that torrent but forgot about the suggestions in the comments. 200 disks is a lot to go through. I'm going for quality over quantity so I'm only putting up stuff I like and that I know works well on the gp2x. still i'll definitely put some of those disks on there

within the next couple days I should have a good update. gba, atari 2600, psx, and commodore 64 pd roms should be in there among others.

I searched through a bunch of sites for this stuff. im happy about my psx finds especially with the recent improvements of the psx emu.

Ah cool, as i remember the best games were on the earlier disks. Some of the later ones had 1200 only titles which are obviously no good here (atm!). If you only select one, please try Drip which is a fantastic game, and better that many commercial games.

Good luck on the site & thanks again.

for everyone who wants to know... pdroms is already partitially back and soon 100% back :) with screenshots and more information and functions ever! :) our coder celeth had his last busy hours at university, so i hope the page will be back faster than a thunder :D (tho i doubt it... realistic is a month or so)

ps: i like the idea of quality pd's in one hughe archive! (tho i will never do this on pdroms :)

There are some excellent GBA PD ROMs. My favourates are:

Elite - A New Kind
Elite AGB
Bust-A-Move
Herg's Solitaire
Cyclone
Lords Of Midnight

thanks for the recommendations. I've been looking for and trying out a bunch of pd roms. starting to get together the packs. just want to find the readmes that came with some of the games and get some descriptions up for as many games as possible. should have the update up by the weekend. hope you guys find some stuff you like.

yeah homebrew games for old systems definitely count as pd or at least the kind of stuff im looking to put on my site. the c64 and atari 2600 seem to be the most active old systems for homebrew.

im gonna give that game a try. looks good

I finally made a decent update to my site. psx, amiga, gba, atari 2600, c64, and genesis got the biggest updates. pc engine got one new game. let me know what you think. also feel free to link to my site if you have a gp2x related site.

Back