Legal Issues Regarding Emulators And Roms

Miika said:
rokdcasbah said:
Being dicks, they will put you in this class if you are leaving torrents & P2P open for a long time. So turn that encryption on!
How? :D

well, azureus has an option to only allow encrypted transfers. however, i don't think that's going to stop anyone from getting your ip address from the pool. i'm not completely sure how the torrent technology works with regards to security...i've always just kind of assumed that it's not secure. in any case, i mainly use it to download shows by bands that allow taping :D (all the best ones do).

Last edited by a moderator:
Blah said:
With encryption, yes they still can figure out your IP address, but they don't know what you're downloading.
how does that work then ?

the anti p2p people are well aware of torrent sites and target specific torrents that they are paid to "ruin" and collect as many ip's as possible (for instance shows made by HBO and movies made by paramount).

the encryption just stops your ISP from packet shaping since they are supposedly unable to tell if you're torrenting or not (its not that good).

Peer guardian can stop some of the nasty anti p2p people connecting to you (they can still see your ip) all this does is stop the hash fails that they produce to try and ruin torrents...

Azalin said:
From the Digital Milleniums Copyright Act, addendum november 2006:

Computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and that require the original media or hardware as a condition of access, when circumvention is accomplished for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive. A format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace. (A renewed exemption, first approved in 2003.)
Thus, as long as we aren't emulating a PS2, which we aren't, i see a gray area. At least in N.A.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Mille..._Act#Exemptions

The full text, if you wish to read it.

I wonder what "reasonable" means? Can they point to an E-bay auction of Atari 2600 and go "bwaha, jailtime!"...

Jarska333 said:
I wonder what "reasonable" means? Can they point to an E-bay auction of Atari 2600 and go "bwaha, jailtime!"...
probably not, but something like that would never get to court.

if in some parallel universe it did: a lot of 2600 games have been released on other platforms, from cell phones to ps2. plus, gametap probably has a lot of that stuff available. so it really depends on the game and whether the company that made it still exists. but mostly just because if they don't exist, they're not going to pay into the esa.

i guess what i'm saying is that, although there are tons of legal technicalities we could come up with, in most cases it's practical considerations ($$$) that determine a particular issue. then, on some historic day, somebody decides to go to court with it, where the same practical considerations hold.

the way i see it, copyright is sometimes concrete but more often abstract. if we could view it objectively we would see that there are abuses on both sides. but neither side's crimes justify the other side's, so everybody's wrong.

what does copyright law say about atari games? that authors and inventors should be secured, for a limited time, the exclusive right to their work. how limited? well, that depends...steamboat willie came out in what year? what year is it now? that long.

Back